L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
[Linked Image]

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
rotflol rotflol This is terrific, Lynn! Hillarious. Thanks for the chuckle.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
laugh Oh, goodness! This is hilarious!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
rotflol Too funny! lol

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
So sad that the discriminate against people from exploded planets! ROFL.

Molly
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
eek

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
lol

Loved it!!

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
rotflol

Love it too!

Top Banana
Top Banana
This was great!
clap
It also made me think about Google+. I just got an invite but didn't know what was so different about that than my regular google account. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, please send me a PM if you have any info on Google+. Thanks!

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I just searched on Google for "Google Plus." You have to say it that way or you get plain Google. Evidently it is their answer to Facebook and Myspace with personal info sharing and pictures.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
This MB is the closest I get to social networking sites, but from what I understand one thing that Google touts is the ability to create 'circles,' that is, you can put other Google+ users into one or more circles you create. You could have a circle for family, one for L&C fans, etc. And you could then quickly and easily communicate with all the members in a circle.

To me, it sounds like a hifalutin version of e-mail lists one can create in an old-fashioned mail client. But then, as I mentioned earlier, I am not into the social networking scene.

Also, from what I understand, Google+ membership is by invitation only.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
I tried it very briefly but I started to hate it during the registration process and never actually used it!

First problem, it won't let you use an alias as your user name - for example, I've used ffutures (short for Forgotten Futures) on Livejournal, Dreamwidth, etc. but that isn't acceptable to Google+

Once you create an account it then starts to try to mine your address book (if you use gmail, not sure if it's possible to join without a gmail account) and suggest your contacts as members of your "circle." Now I don't know about anyone else, but my email contacts include quite a few people and organisations I do not wish to have as friends.

It also tries to make a lot of your details public as its default - you have to switch off all sorts of things that are off by default at most other sites, e.g. your age, sex, email address, etc.

Maybe I was unlucky, but within minutes I was almost instantly spammed by dozens of "add me to your circle" messages. I do not believe that real people are so interested in reading my blog.

At this point I decided that enough was enough and closed down the Google+ account - and finding out how to do so isn't easy - and for good measure shut down a couple of other accounts associated with Gmail which I wasn't using. I think it will be a LONG time before I even think about using Google+ again.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Top Banana
Top Banana
First problem, it won't let you use an alias as your user name - for example, I've used ffutures (short for Forgotten Futures) on Livejournal, Dreamwidth, etc. but that isn't acceptable to Google+
Sounds like whoever wrote this comic had the same problem as you Marcus.

Thanks for all the info guys - don't think I'll be joining it.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Kerth
Kerth
Thanks for the information- and the heads up. I've actually been looking into Google+ lately, and from the sound of it, this is *not* what I'm looking for. I'd like to keep my circles separate, and I agree with you on the anonymity factor, Marcus. Not that I'm too strict/crazy about that, but still. Classmates don't belong with workmates who don't belong with friends and definitely not with family...

Besides all that, there is nothing I hate more than spam where people randomly beg to "be your friend." Maybe it's just me, but I find that creepy. Also why I don't do the social networking scene (though might be forced into it for latest school project grumble )

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Kerth
Kerth
One of the reasons I like LiveJournal is that they've never used that type of spam as far as I know. I regularly get it from other blogging sites, and would never join them.

For an in-depth look at the problems with Google+ see this article

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2011/08/why-im-not-on-google-plus.html

and the article it links to.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Interesting article, Marcus. I'd never even heard of Google Plus until this thread. I'm sure not using my real name. A piece of news yesterday made me realize that there is a real person, a semi-famous fashion model who can never join Google Plus. Who you ask?
Lauren Bush, niece of former Pres. Bush married the son of Ralph Lauren the fashion designer, David. So her name is legally Lauren Lauren. Think that would ever pass Google? Maybe she'll use her maiden initial. "Lauren B. Lauren."
rotflol rotflol
Artemis (not my real name)
P.S. What part of society do this Google chaps live in? What about Ice-T, Jay-Z and any other rock star or actor you can think of?

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard