Print Thread
#224833 08/09/11 10:01 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I use YouTube Downloader to save clips from YT, but I have some clips from The Daily Show I'd like that I can't use that for.

Anyone know of another easy to use, quick and simple downloader program that will do the task?

Thanks!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#224834 08/09/11 10:05 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I've stumbled onto a site called Keepvid recently. It's really simple and easy to use- just paste the youtube URL and wait a brief amount of time, et voila! I don't even think there's much you need to download, either, but I can't remember for sure. I just used it for a couple of Clark clips laugh It should work for your purposes, but can't guarantee anything of course...

Here's the site just in case...
http://keepvid.com/

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#224835 08/10/11 02:11 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I think LabRat wants to download videos that are not on YouTube, but on The Daily Show website. Is that right?

By the way, I did a Google search and ran into this:
http://www.orbitdownloader.com/How-to-Download-Embedded-Flash-Video.htm

It's only for Windows.

Don't know if it works, but give it a try.

malu

#224836 08/10/11 02:48 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You got it, Malu, yes. I'll check that one out.

Your site looks interesting, Mouse, but what I want to do is save the clips to my external hd so that they don't suddenly disappear on me one day.

Thanks for the help!

ETA: Sadly, OrbitDL doesn't work. All it does is download the ad at the start of the clip and then asks if I want to play it again. The rest of the clip it doesn't pick up at all. Ah, well - worth a try.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#224837 08/10/11 04:01 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
The thing is: do you know if the video is in FLV format (Flash video)? Or is it in another format? Could you paste the link to the page of the video you're trying to download? I can take a look.

malu

#224838 08/10/11 04:19 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, it seems to be flv. The thing is though, been thinking about it, and I'm beginning to suspect I won't be able to download these because the TDS website is blocked. I'm only able to watch it by using one of those programs which fools the blocker into believing I'm in the US, not the UK.

I think that may be why this isn't working. But here's one of the clips' url anyway, just in case there's a way you might work it out. Thanks!

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-august-2-2011/parliament-slight

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224839 08/10/11 04:43 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hmm, the video works from Austria. huh So, unless there's some weird UK-only restriction, that's not it.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#224840 08/10/11 05:05 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
It seems to be a UK thing. I'm in Brazil and have no problem watching the video.

LabRat:
If you're using Firefox, have you tried looking for an add-on that lets you download FLV files? There even seems to exist add-ons that will get the video directly from the source, allowing you to choose which quality version you want. Take a look.

malu

#224841 08/10/11 07:52 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No, I don't have any problems watching the video either. I did when I didn't use the unblocking program - for years I've been unable to watch any TDS clips because all you get in the UK is a 'sorry, you are unable to view this video in your country' message.

But the unblocking program fools the blocker into thinking I'm viewing from the US, not the UK, so I can watch it just fine.

What I can't do is download it and save it to my hd. And I wonder if the blocker is the cause.

But I will give that Firefox extentsion a try - thanks for the help, Malu!

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224842 08/18/11 05:51 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I usually use REAL Player to download videos on the web and it works on most sites. That said, however, there are some sites (and I'm assuming that The Daily Show is one of them) that don't allow such downloading and like you encountered you only get the ad at the beginning of the video when you try to download. I don't know of a work around, unfortunately.

Did is a word of achievement
Won't is a word of retreat
Might is a word of bereavement
Can't is a word of defeat
Ought is a word of duty
Try is a word of each hour
Will is a word of beauty
Can is a word of power

--Author Unknown

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard