Print Thread
#224572 05/06/11 12:04 PM
P
Patti Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
P
I just bought a Sony ereader a couple of weeks ago.
I really appreciate the stories that are in that
format at the Lois and Clark archive. However, I would like to
find a converter so i can convert files to epub
myself. The reason is i read in other fandoms too
and would like to convert some of that fic to epub for my reader, especially some older fic.
I can put non epub files on my reader but the format is not nearly as good. Can anyone rec a good
converter and where to find it? Thanks so much.

#224573 05/06/11 12:10 PM
C
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
C

#224574 05/06/11 12:28 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I really like Stanza

Congratulations on your new e-reader.

- Lynn

#224575 05/06/11 01:33 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm not sure what format Sony uses, but I've used Calibre to convert epub to MOBI for Kindle and it was blissfully easy to do. Very simple to use.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#224576 05/06/11 06:21 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Patti: Just save them in PDF and they work nicely on Sony Reader. That's what I have. It's much easier than converting them to epub from text. Also straight Word .rtf works too.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#224577 05/07/11 08:26 AM
P
Patti Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
P
Thanks for the recs everyone. Artemis
how do you get them to download as pdf? I don't
have that option showing when i download. My computer uses
Windows 7. Did you download a converter of some
sort? Thanks

#224578 05/07/11 05:01 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Patti:
With Windows 7 (which is what I have) go up to the left icon on a word file and go to "Save As". There I have an XPS or PDF option, but I don't use that. Go down to the bottom to "Other Formats." That opens the list of docs on your computer with the title of the file in the top box and a list of formats to save the file in within the bottom box. Scroll down there to about the middle and there is PDF. Select that.

Now, to me, the next step is critical because I can loose documents in the bowels of the computer. You have to chose where you want the new document to go. I always chose the Desktop when doing this so I can find it again.

So save it to your Desktop and that helps in the next step.

Turn your reader on, plug in the cord (power and uploading combined) and your Sony Reader store page comes up. On there is "Reader" which is your portable.

Close the document you've converted and simply slide the icon (which says PDF) over to "Reader" and voila, it is downloaded. Open the "Reader" by clicking on it and you'll see it there.
When you unplug your Reader, it will load (it says "loading") and then you will see it on your list of documents.

I had Nan's "Smallville 10" on my desktop and just went through the process to check it out.

You have to have Adobe Acrobat downloaded on your machine to do this, but the software is free and PDF files cannot be changed by the recipients and so they are used for travel tickets.

The author is listed as you since it came from your computer. So you can do an Author sort and find all your fiction in one area.

You can check you got it by clicking "Reader" and then double click the story, "Smallville 10" and it will show on your computer.

One of the few drawbacks to Sony Reader IMHO, is that you must always use your main computer to download the books or stories onto your Reader.

For power, however, there is a plug and cord you can plug into any outlet. We've powered up on ships and in England with a converter with no problem. The charge lasts for 2 or so days of frequent use.

This means on a long ocean cruise you have to have all the stories you want to read with you. But that's not a problem. I currently have 31 full length novels on my Reader. Those I bought in the epub format.

But you'll find PDF reads just fine and is a lot less work than converting from text on the Archive to epub.

On piece of warning is that the line returns depends on your choice of font and font size at the beginning and the size you use to read, Small, Medium or Large. Try a few and see what you like.

Hopefully this isn't too much detail. If you have questions, feel free to ask either here or by PM (two people with an envelope icon at the top of this post). Happy Reading! We love our Sony Readers.
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#224579 05/14/11 09:53 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Patti:
Can anyone rec a good converter and where to find it? Thanks so much.
http://fanfictionloader.appspot.com/

Framework4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard