#224552 05/04/11 12:45 AM
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
Got to see a sneak of Thor last night.
It was pretty good. An entertaining film.
Definately worth seeing for anyone who enjoys the genre.

Tank (who is not a big fan of 3D would like to see the movie again, but in 2D)

#224553 05/04/11 06:34 AM
Kerth
Kerth
The trouble with 3D is that to justify it films exaggerate depth and have things hurtling towards the audience. That's fine if you're OK with 3D glasses and like action movies, but a lot of people are marginal with the glasses - they're OK if there isn't too much depth to the 3D image, and don't need to change their focus too rapidly, but run into problems getting their eyes to converge if things get too extreme.

I have no plans to buy a 3D TV or go to see them on a big screen because I get motion sick after about 30 seconds of that sort of thing. I suspect that when all the sums are done it will turn out that 3D isn't making much more money than 2D - but film companies will continue to push it because they want people to go over to BlueRay, and that's currently the biggest difference between BlueRay and DVD.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#224554 05/04/11 11:46 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
they're OK if there isn't too much depth to the 3D image, and don't need to change their focus too rapidly, but run into problems getting their eyes to converge if things get too extreme.
Well, I haven't seen one of the 3D movies and it sounds like I wouldn't much like them in that it would probably set off double vision which happens when I have to focus too rapidly. (All the result from a retinal detachment.)

I suspect that when all the sums are done it will turn out that 3D isn't making much more money than 2D - but film companies will continue to push it
Well, it didn't work out so well when they tried it before. In the Fifties, I think?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#224555 05/04/11 05:52 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I saw a movie in 3D once and wasn't too impressed. It didn't help that they turned the volume up even higher than usual. I wore earplugs through the whole movie and didn't have any trouble hearing.

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
#224556 05/04/11 09:29 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'd like to see Thor, but in 2D. I get double vision in 3D.
It's extremely annoying, especially because the movies cost pratically twice than the ones in 2D. The movie theatre people say it's to pay for the special glasses, but even if you've seen a movie previously and already have the glasses they're "forced" to charge the same sum of money.
But going back to Thor. The movie sounds interesting and it has Anthony Hopkins and Natalie Portman, who are always a plus for me.

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
#224557 05/05/11 03:07 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I won't see anymore 3D movies because of the glasses. Do you know how much of a pain it is to wear 2 sets of glasses at once? dizzy I'd love to see Thor in the theater, but it's kinda hard when you have a bebe. Maybe when it comes out on dvd.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#224558 05/05/11 03:23 AM
C
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
C
Originally posted by Karen:
I'd love to see Thor in the theater, but it's kinda hard when you have a bebe.
I'd suggest leaving the bebe at home if it's so distracting in your bag. wink (Totally not linking one of the other bebes, but he's on Wikipedia.)

I'm leery about 3D movies as well and am not ready to pay through the nose for something I can't even test beforehand to see whether I can see properly for a sufficiently long time.

#224559 05/05/11 05:39 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
About 25% of the population gets headaches from having to focus and converge at two different distances. Since you never have to do that except for some kind of optical illusion like a 3D film that is not going to go away.

There is also a problem with children under 6. Watching can mess up the development of their vision. http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/01/05/toshiba-echoes-nintendos-3-d-warning/

So like the last two times they've had a wave of 3D movies I expect it will be a fad.

#224560 05/06/11 04:18 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I can't wait to see this movie, but have to see 2D 'cause I get motion sick from 3D...

mad

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#224561 05/06/11 05:27 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I saw it this morning (in 2D). It's good fun, and I'd quite happily watch it again.

BTW, don't leave during the credits. I was sitting enjoying the Foo Fighters and, surprise, there was a bit more when the credits were finished rolling - a teaser for the new Avengers movie.

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#224562 05/09/11 04:26 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
According to NPR (National Public Radio, the American analog to the BBC, sort of), a man has invented 2D glasses so that his wife, who gets headaches at 3D movies, can go to his favorite movies with him. He's hoping to market them for $10 a pop. So soon you'll be able to pay even more money to watch 3D in 2D. eek

This *is* my happily ever after.
#224563 10/24/11 02:57 AM
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
"Inventing" 2d glasses is pretty simple if anyone wants to do it. The two pictures being projected to present 3D are polarized differently so each eye sees the image projected for that eye.

To make both eyes see the same image (2D), get two pairs of 3D glasses. Move the right lens from the "donor" pair to the left lens of the "target" pair. Bonus: move the left lens from the "target" pair to the right lens of the "donor" pair for a second pair of 2D glasses.

Shallowford

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard