Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I'd like to send good thoughts and prayers to our friends in Japan. If you don't know, Japan has been hit with a massive tsunami. This has resulted in making a nuclear reactor unstable. They are trying to "cool it off".

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I've now heard on the news (CNN) that the tsunami is headed for South America.

Note: CNN is reporting this as if it just happened, but I looked on the internet and it has been several hours since the original earthquake occurred. There has been an aftershock of 6.6 magnitude. The original quake was 8.9.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It was an 8.9 earthquake that caused the tsunami. There's a long subsidence fault right next to Japan that moved, causing the tsunami. Hawaii fared fairly well and it is now at the West coast of the US. I haven't heard much about South America because the waves are mostly in the Northern Hemisphere. As someone said, it's like throwing a rock into a bathtub. The waves go out in rings.
Be careful everyone and good luck.
Not much damage in Los Angeles yet. But northern California got it. http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20110311/86b01b9c-dc87-48c7-9fec-f10f9d2d156c
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The devastation is terrible. The before and after pictures of Minamisanriku are heartbreaking. An estimated 10,000 people missing there alone.

Let's dig deep to help. The Japanese are consistently at the top of the league for their generosity when others are hit by disaster - it's time to repay that debt.

This was a wonderful charity shown on our news last night Shelterbox . They pack an enormous amount of practical and valuable - immediate - help for survivors into that one little box. Everything from tents and stoves and cooking utensils to colouring books for kids left with nothing. Well worth donating to to start with.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
Just heard that HonorH, who is very well known in Buffy fandom and was living in a Japanese town close to the epicentre, evacuated safely and is staying in a shelter until it's safe to return home. Ironically she's leaving Japan anyway in a couple of weeks.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
My thoughts and prayers are with those in Japan.

Does anyone know what part of Japan Sayo lives in? She had been quite active on the list for a while last year, and then, shortly after getting married, she stopped posting. Even before the recent events in Japan, I had been wondering how she was doing, but I figured that the RL activity of being a newlywed had kept her off-list. Does anyone have any word of her?

- Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The location on her posts says West Waseda, Tokyo, Japan, so I'm assuming the odds are reasonably high that she's doing okay. Would be nice to confirm that though.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard