Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#223996 12/24/10 08:56 AM
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Since we are all in a love/hate relationship with the English language, I thought y'all (southernspeak for everyone) would be interested in this book review from the LA Times today.
Both the reviewer and author make good points, IMHO.

latimes.com
Book review: 'The English Is Coming!' by Leslie Dunton-Downer
How to find the words to describe this book about the way English is transforming the world and, in the process, being revolutionized? Well, let's flip through until time to say 'Thankbye.'
By Leslie Savan
Special to the Los Angeles Times
December 24, 2010
Picking up a book subtitled "How One Language Is Sweeping the World," you might think you're in for a rant against Big English — how, amped up by extremely powerful telecommunications, it's snuffing out smaller languages across the globe.

Leslie Dunton-Downer nods to all that in "The English Is Coming!" But, she argues, English's sweep is simply a fact, and anyway it's not a conventional white man's English that's taking over. Rather, it's an evolutionary "distinct phase" of the language, a "Global English" with more non-native than native speakers. This "widespread lingua franca has raised legitimate concerns about the futures of nonglobal languages and cultures," she writes, "but it has also become the golden arrow in a vast community's quiver, the only language to date that's in a position to address matters of planetwide interest."

And for the most part, she makes her case. Co-author of "The Essential Shakespeare Handbook," Dunton-Downer takes us through an entertaining, even suspenseful, history of English. A prehistoric language that linguists have reconstructed called Proto Indo-European spawned a far-flung family of languages, which is now spoken from Wales to India to Russia. English has always been an enormous sponge of a language — whether one is talking about the Old English of "Beowulf," the French-infused Middle English of Chaucer, the Early Modern English of Shakespeare or the Modern English of "Jersey Shore" — absorbing words, grammar and pronunciation from its linguistic cousins.

And then, via trade, war and technology, it has sent them back out across the world. Perhaps the most benevolent reading of Global English is that it's returning these words, all glammed up in new clothes and attitudes, to their roots.

Ah, roots! Etymologies are like chocolates for me, and Dunton-Downer hands them out like she's Willie Wonka. As she tells the stories of 30 reborn-in-America international words and expressions — including "OK," "hello," "T-shirt," "stress," "fun," "bank" and "made in China" — I kept wanting to ask those around me, did you know that the word "film" comes from the prehistoric root "pel-," meaning an animal hide, or pelt? (As early Indo-European Ps became Fs in Germanic, so "pel" became "fell," and the Old English "filmen," meaning "membrane," eventually became the name for the light-sensitive emulsified "coating" on celluloid that made possible the movie industry.)

Or did you know that the word "credit" in the globally welcomed term "credit card" comes, she writes, from the ancient word combo "kerd-" (heart) and "dhe" (put), meaning something like "to set the heart," thus meaning "to place trust in"?

Little of that is original research, but Dunton-Downer puts it together with so much heart, and fun, that I only wish she'd gone further. I'd have loved to hear what she thinks about the truly global, rather controversial Big Lang theory — that all languages burst forth from a common mother tongue. And because she writes that different languages give you "magic glasses" to see different realities, I wish she had explored Global English's reality with more than occasional observations.

But then, deep cultural analysis isn't this book's purview; read it, instead, to understand how "English is poised, over the course of the next few generations, to be significantly transformed." This will happen as both native and non-native English speakers contribute whatever ingredients they've got to keep this linguistic stone soup reasonably clear.

For instance, although English has shed most inflections (those maddening case and gender endings you have to decline in Spanish or German), we still need an uninflected pronoun for an "individual of unspecified gender." Otherwise, we're stuck with contortions like "If you love someone, set them free," or worse, "set him or her free." Perhaps, Dunton-Downer writes, we'll try "himmer" (ouch), or tap into Mandarin, which uses one word for he/him, she/her and it: "ta." "If a person needs help, please give it to ta."

Unlikely? Maybe. But a generation ago, who thought we'd be jabbering about blogs and tweets, or hiring people to redo the feng shui? Before signing off with another invention (Thankbye), Dunton-Downer invites readers to conjure their own new words — after all, all language everywhere is somebody's invention. Globlish, anyone?

Savan is the author of "Slam Dunks and No-Brainers: Language in Your Life, the Media, Business, Politics, and, Like, Whatever."
Copyright © 2010, Los Angeles Times
One of the points that neither author nor reviewer bring up that is speeding the spread of English is the fact that all air traffic control is done in English. No matter the aircraft's origin or the country you are landing in, the lingua franca of the transportation is English. Some accents are pretty interesting if you have opportunity to listen in on an airline flight.
Thankbye
Artemis party peep

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#223997 01/06/11 05:43 AM
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I read The Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way about two years ago and was amazed to discover how eclectic the language really is.

What surprised me most was that in several cases we've imported the same words multiple times but have associated different meanings or shades of meaning to the word each time. (Now someone's gong to ask for an example. Well be warned, if you do I'll be able to add it on Monday.)

Shallowford
#223998 01/08/11 05:31 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
If you want to read another great book on the evolution of English - Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue by John McWhorter.

He explains how English is one of two languages where you CAN split an infinitive and why we say say 'I am reading a book.' when nearly everyone else says 'I read a book.'

So, GEs beware - infinitives are MEANT to be split. So sayeth the Queen of the Split Infinitives, boldly going... nowhere fast.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#223999 01/08/11 09:09 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ok, Shallowford, I'll bite. I'm dying to know which words have been adopted multiple times with multiple meanings laugh My curiosity is officially killing me wink

StarKat

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
#224000 01/08/11 02:36 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I hadn't planned to enter this discussion and steal Shallowford's thunder, but I don't want curiosity to kill the StarKat.

I haven't read the book Shallowford referred to, and I don't know whether the examples I am going to present are ones mentioned in that book, but here are a few examples that might qualify for what Shallowford described:

The English word "shirt" has come down to us from Old English, but the etymologically related word "skirt" was borrowed into Middle English from Old Norse. (The less common term "kirtle" is also related to the other two terms.)

"Poke" meaning a bag or a sack (as in the saying "to buy a pig in a poke"), "pocket," "poach," and "pouch" are all related. "Poke" and "pouch" both appear to have entered English around the 14th century via Old North French. "Pocket," originally a diminutive of "poke," seems to have entered English around the 15th century, also from ONF. "Poach" (meaning trespassing in order to hunt or fish illegally) is a much more recent addition to our language. The first recorded instance of it dates from 1611. It was borrowed from Middle French.

Another pair: castle and chateau. Both can trace their origins back to the Latin word "castellum," meaning "fortress" or "castle". "Castle" came into Old English via Old French. "Chateau" was borrowed from French much more recently; the first recorded instance of its use in English dated from 1720.

There are other such words out there, but these should do for starts.

Incidentally, if you wish a nice "dipping book" about languages, I would recommend David Crystal's "The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language". Its 1-2 page articles on just about anything language-related walk a nice balance between being scholarly and accessible. He has written quite a number of other books on language in general and English in particular. I have not read any of them, and so I can't comment on them. But if they are anything of the calibre of his encyclopedia, they, too, would be worthwhile reads.

Joy,
Lynn

#224001 01/08/11 03:34 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
One where we have two words where most languages have only one. Cow vs beef. The word beef is from Latin bovīnus (cognate to beef), in contrast to cow, which is from Middle English "cou" (both words have the same Indo-European root *gʷou-). So they come from the same word but the sound diverged a lot since it split was so far back.

English has a much larger vocabulary then other languages with words that divide things up finer.

#224002 01/08/11 03:56 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
dcarson's example is one of many in which English has word pairs or triplets with the same or similar meanings, in which one word can be traced back to Old English and the other comes from French or directly from Latin. English is a Germanic language, but much of our vocabulary comes from French. (Think "Norman Invasion.") The Old English terms tend to be more casual in nature. The French and Latin terms tend to be more formal.

Some examples (taken from Crystal's Encyclopedia which I mentioned in my previous post):

Old English French Latin
----------- ------ -----
rise mount ascend
ask question interrogate
holy sacred consecrated
sweat perspire -
climb - ascend

dcarson's example is especially interesting in that beef/cow share a common ancestor.

Edit: Contrast the "feel" of the following two sentences. They mean pretty much the same thing and have similar, although admittedly not identical, sentence structure. The first one contains more terms that can be traced back to Latin, possibly via French, the second one has more terms that have been in English longer. The first one would be more appropriate in a scholarly setting, the latter in a friendly (informal) conversation.

1) If it is your desire to appear erudite, utilize terminology derived from Latin.

2) If you want to seem learned, use words from Latin.

In the humourous rephrasings of common sayings available
here , many of the words that have come down to us from Old English have been replaced by words originating in Latin, again possibly via French.

This division makes sense when you think about it -- nearly a millennium ago, the English of the day was the language of hearth and home for the Anglo-Saxons. The French of the day was the language of the court. Had the Norman Invasion been repelled, English would be a very different language today. One of the things that amazes me about language is that the geopolitics of a people can influence their language centuries, even millennia, later.

Joy,
Lynn

#224003 01/08/11 04:48 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Actually, according to McWhorter, English may not be as Germanic as everyone insists. According to his history of English, English is what happened way-back-when when the Germanic invaders with big swords insisted on the conquered natives (Celtic tribes) learning German. Which they did - badly. Celtic grammar and sentence structure with German vocabulary.

And English has been mugging other languages for their words ever since.

Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#224004 01/09/11 02:27 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Dandello,

Interesting! I wonder how well-accepted his hypothesis is and how he arrived at his conclusions? I'd love to compare the evidence for and against. I think I might just track down his book. In any event, my linguistic studies are over a decade old, so what I have learned may have been superseded.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in learning a bit about the comparative method and historical linguistics, they can go to the following sites: this site and this site . I have not explored either one thoroughly, but what I saw at a glance looked like nice introductions to the topic. And here is an image of the proposed Proto-Indo-European family tree: [Linked Image]

Joy,
Lynn

#224005 01/09/11 06:18 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Off the top of my head - his argument is a counter argument against the linguistic tradition that the Germanic invaders committed genocide, both literally and figuratively against the native Celtic populations during that invasion and so the native language had no affect on the incoming German.

Archeological evidence says it didn't happen that way at all - there was no genocide. It's not smart to kill all your new slaves and the Old Germans weren't stupid. It IS smart to breed with them and tax the hell out of them.

Which means linguistically, there were a lot of adult Celt (Brythonic)speakers learning Old West German vocabulary to communicate with the guys with big swords, but not the grammar since that's a lot harder for an adult to pick up. And THAT's the language that became English - a proper bastard of Old West German and Bythonic, which, unlike most other pidgins, was allowed to evolve in relative isolation with occasional influxes of invading people with big swords and their languages.

His arguments are a lot more complex that the above. And the Celtic influence theorists are still a small minority. But it does explain so many of English's vagaries.

#224006 01/10/11 08:15 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The SF writer Poul Anderson wrote a very short story called Uncleftish Beholding showing what English as a more purely Germanic language would look like. The whole story of 2-3 pages is at alt.language.artificial .
The underlying kinds of stuff are the *firststuffs*, which link together in sundry ways to give rise to the rest. Formerly we knew of ninety-two firststuffs, from waterstuff, the lightest and barest, to ymirstuff, the heaviest. Now we have made more, such as aegirstuff and helstuff.
English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results.

* H. Beam Piper

#224007 01/11/11 02:45 AM
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Lynn: For the second site, I get a 404 for UT Austin. Maybe you could relink that.
That is an interesting map of the languages. One thing I did notice that was missing (or I couldn't find on it), was Basque. I did some research for an LnC story (Exploring the West with Lois and Clark) and found that Basque is most closely related to Celtic (which version they didn't specify). In the US the learning center for the Basque language is at the University of Nevada, Reno.
Basque is of interest because thousands immigrated from northern Spain during the 1800's to the US to herd sheep and there are several noted enclaves of Basque speaking people in Bakersfield, Ca, and Carson City, NV. Reportedly it had changed little from ancient times (pre-Indo-European) and has been used as an argument for more widespread world exploration of the Celtic people.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#224008 01/11/11 03:21 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Artemis:
Hi Lynn: For the second site, I get a 404 for UT Austin. Maybe you could relink that.
Oops. Done. (It was missing an "l" at the end of "html".) Sorry about the broken link.

No time to write more.

Joy,
Lynn

#224009 01/12/11 09:07 AM
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Sorry StarKat,

RL prevented me from doing much online this weekend. Lynn’s examples aren’t the same but are definitely birds of a feather. I’ll post the others this weekend.

Shallowford

Shallowford
#224010 01/12/11 09:25 AM
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
He explains how English is one of two languages where you CAN split an infinitive and why we say say 'I am reading a book.' when nearly everyone else says 'I read a book.'
There is a similar section in the book I read. They used the example, ‘I paint.’, ‘I am painting.’ and ‘I am a painter.’ and how difficult it is to easily convey in another language the same information that a native English speaker would automatically infer by reading the sentences.

I paint = I paint (for enjoyment, not as a profession).
I am painting = I am (at this moment in the act of) painting.
I am a painter = My profession is painting.

Shallowford
#224011 01/15/11 05:43 PM
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
As promised.....
From The Mother Tongue (English & How it Got That Way):

Sometimes the same word reaches us at different times, having undergone various degrees of filtering, and thus can exist in English in two or more related forms, as with canal and channel, regard and reward, poor and pauper, catch and chase, cave and cage, amiable and amicable. Often these words have been so modified in their travels that their kinship is all but invisible. Who would guess that coy and quiet both have the same grandparent in the Latin quietus, or that sordid and swarthy come jointly from the Latin sordere (to be soiled or dirty), or that entirety and integrity come from the Latin integritus (complete and pure)?
The most extreme example he gives is the Latin word discus that English has borrowed repeatedly and turned into: disk, disc, dish, desk, dias and discus.

Shallowford

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard