Print Thread
#223949 12/06/10 04:21 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I discovered this handy little site recently, through a link on the Fringe forum. It's called Down For Everyone...Or Just Me? Very easy to use. Just put the url of the site you can't get into into the box, click on 'just for me' and it will tell you if the site is down...well, you get the gist.

Down For Everyone...

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#223950 12/06/10 05:53 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
*chuckle* We use that at work all the time when we're troubleshooting. I sound really professional when I tell clients whether or not their website is down for everyone...or just them. goofy

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#223951 12/07/10 07:41 AM
Kerth
Kerth
That's handy - I'm in the middle of a big row with my ISP about their rotten web hosting, it may be very useful.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#223952 12/07/10 02:16 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
That's handy - I'm in the middle of a big row with my ISP about their rotten web hosting, it may be very useful.
Does your hosting crash a lot? I had a client who was having trouble with hosting, and we signed him up at http://pingdom.com/ so he could get email alerts of exactly when his site crashes.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#223953 12/08/10 11:51 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Very long story involving my original ISP being taken over by Virgin who have apparently lost my records prior to the take-over, which means that they won't give me technical support for my original web site because I can't establish I own it.

It looks like the password server has got corrupted recently since a lot of people seem to be looking for help, and Virgin are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. It's probably going to end with me moving to another ISP since Virgin are appalling as an ISP in many other ways - endless technical problems, performance much poorer than claimed, and promises of help which never pan out.

Amongst other things, they have repeatedly blocked access to other sites I own if I upload large files to them. Since I'll be uploading a major new release of my RPG in 12 days this is a bit of a problem for me...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#223954 12/08/10 12:04 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The minute I saw the word Virgin...I sympathised. They are the worst. Completely useless and totally unhelpful. I do love the way that instead of having a decent customer helpline they rely instead on a customer forum and let the customers do the work for them, unpaid. Still, the customers are generally more helpful and better informed...

LabRat smile (and don't get me started on how they perform as a TV provider... razz )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard