Next Thread
Print Thread
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Not really. I'm guessing everyone here knows better than that. Not that we haven't had a few plagiarism issues from time to time in the fandom, but they've been blessedly rare.

So...

Did anyone catch the Cooks Source debacle going on today?

They apparently lifted her period piece about apple pie and printed it [though they did apparently give her credit]. She emailed them asking for an apology and a donation [amounting to .10 a word] to be given to a journalism school. This was the [eventual] response from the editor:

"Yes Monica, I have been doing this for 3 decades, having been an editor at The Voice, Housitonic Home and Connecticut Woman Magazine. I do know about copyright laws. It was "my bad" indeed, and, as the magazine is put together in long sessions, tired eyes and minds somethings forget to do these things.

But honestly Monica, the web is considered "public domain" and you should be happy we just didn't "lift" your whole article and put someone else's name on it! It happens a lot, clearly more than you are aware of, especially on college campuses, and the workplace. If you took offence and are unhappy, I am sorry, but you as a professional should know that the article we used written by you was in very bad need of editing, and is much better now than was originally. Now it will work well for your portfolio. For that reason, I have a bit of a difficult time with your requests for monetary gain, albeit for such a fine (and very wealthy!) institution. We put some time into rewrites, you should compensate me! I never charge young writers for advice or rewriting poorly written pieces, and have many who write for me... ALWAYS for free!"
There's now a Facebook page set up for other violations to be reported - including Paula Deen, Weight Watchers, and even a Disney subsidiary.

And the rewrites? 'Fixed' the period piece spellings etc and made them modern. That doesn't so much improve a period piece...

Of course, if this somehow ends up being a big ole hoax, then I may as well have apple pie on my face...

[While I suppose it's possible this case is, that many reported ones seems unlikely to me.]

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I was just coming here to post about this. The actions of this women (the editor, not the author) have left me almost speechless. I have to admit I'm somewhat enjoying the public flogging she is receiving.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It could be a hoax, but, honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was real. The internet seems to have spawned some weird forms of logic and morals when it comes to this issues and it is astonishing how some people don't believe they're doing anything wrong with this behaviour and are surprised to be called out on it by the author.

It reminds me of an editor I dealt with once, who ran a paper zine - before the internet came along. I had sent her a copy of one of my stories for her zine and everything was going along swimmingly until she sent me back a section of the story for some reason. I can't remember why now, but it was something innocuous.

However, I just so happened to turn the page over and discovered that she had changed two lines in one paragraph to something completely different. I queried this and was told that she had 'fixed' it as she didn't think it 'worked.' I immediately wanted to know, of course, what other edits she had made without telling me and she sent back the story - with a whole slew of edits. Not just fixing typos, but actually rewriting sections that she felt she could do better. And she was completely unrepentant when I challenged her. If she didn't think that the characters could have made it up to the top of that hill in the time I'd given them - she changed it. If she didn't think a character would say that - she changed it.

What really irked me though was that if I hadn't by sheer luck spotted that first change I would never have known until after the story was published. She certainly didn't feel she needed to mention it!

She got increasingly annoyed that I felt aggrieved and even employed a friend to go over the story and tell me all of her changes were right and I was wrong to protest. Finally, I told her to...well, I was polite, but let's just say the story was withdrawn for consideration. goofy

But it still amazes me to this day that she felt she could just rewrite the story to better suit her own idea of it and all without believing she needed to let me know what she was doing. She seemed to believe that once she accepted the story for publication in her zine, copyright was transferred to her and it was hers to do with as she pleased.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
Apparently more or less everything published in the magazine was lifted from one or another web site - not just blogs, but fairly big magazines etc.

Which is why they may be hearing from Disney's lawyers some time soon, one of the sites belonged to The Mouse. I'd sooner try to steal from the Mafia...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
And Martha Stewart. Another site had a comment about Martha's lawyers turning her into a puree, with a nice decorative garnish.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard