Next Thread
Print Thread
#223741 10/10/10 11:59 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
To: Olympics committee

To the Olympics 2012 committee,

We wish for you to consider David Tennant as the official Lighter of the Olympic Flame. David portrays the Tenth Doctor on Doctor Who, a programme which has been part of our national consciousness for almost half a century and of which it can be said, captures the heart of being British more than an other piece of popular culture on television today.

David, as the Doctor, was seen lighting the Flame in an episode called “Fear Her” which featured the 2012 Olympics. We feel it would be entirely appropriate for him to be given this honour for real.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?Drwh2012&1

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#223742 10/10/10 03:38 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Signed! I think it would be fun (and funny) if David Tennant could light the torch. Especially if he wears the brown pin-striped suit and the coat Janis Joplin gave him...

B

#223743 10/10/10 05:03 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Whoever thought this up wins the internet. LOL, I love it. Signed!

Kathy

#223744 10/11/10 08:45 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This is interesting. Here in the US, elected officials give no weight to Internet petitions because the signatures are too easy to fake. They also have no legal status as yet, so signing one means nothing except one has a little extra time on one's hands.

Is that how it is in the UK? I don't know. Over here, if someone signs a petition which refers to a legal area (like a Congressional district or state) but who has no interest in the indicated legal area (signer doesn't live in the district or state), the signature is invalid and doesn't count. For example, when I lived in Ohio I couldn't sign a petition which affected only people in Michigan. (Never mind that I was only thirteen.)

Oh, and since I don't live in the UK I am neither for or against David Tennant lighting the torch for Britain in 2012. I think it would be neat, though. I think I'd watch that - as long as he wears that silly "Happy Doctor" wide grin along with the suit and shoes.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#223745 10/11/10 10:43 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
They usually ignore them but sometimes they have an effect, if only to get the government thinking about something. See e.g. the recent British government apology for the treatment of Alan Turing post WW2, which was the result of an internet petition.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#223746 10/11/10 01:26 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
That would be so cool!

I can't wait for the next season (series?) of Dr. Who to start.

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard