Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#223728 10/03/10 06:35 AM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Recently, the university where I went to law school decided to change the title of their law degree from a Bachelor of Laws to a Juris Doctor. And although it will effect my life not at all, I now apparently have a Juris Doctor degree.

So... the only thing I want to know is if I can now be called Doctor Thompson. laugh

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Huh, that's really strange. Of course, I've got no idea how things are done in Canada, but over here, the three levels of university degrees are distinct and separate and can't just be renamed like that.

Aside from that, any change to a degree program after you have received a degree doesn't affect you.

At least, that's how it's done over here huh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Actually, Michael, the LL.B. I got was not an undergraduate degree even when I got it. You had to have at least one Bachelor degree to get into the program.

As for it changing my degree... It does. I just got the paperwork in the mail this week.

As for me caring, either way... Not really. Like I said, it won't effect my...

Oh wait! Darn! It will effect my life. Now I have to buy new business cards. Well darn! Talk about a waste of money. I just bought a new box of business cards, too! laugh

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Huh, fascinating. Say, is the degree in Canada a part of your name, too? Because in that case would have to get a new driver's license, passport, etc. Plus update your signature. Hmm... starts to sound like you went to the Griffin University. devilsplat

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
starts to sound like you went to the Griffin University.
How did you know? Oh, wait. No. I got my degree from one of those emails that says: Do you want a degree? Send money here. laugh

ML wave

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I don't want a degree from a university which would accept me as a student.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
I don't want a degree from a university which would accept me as a student.
Sounds like you should go to G.U. -- Groucho University. wink

Joy,
Lynn

MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I think I finally figured out what's going on. Practicing where I do, it's hard to keep up with what's going on in the outside world. Anyway, finally found this article which seems to explain the change. Apparently, we want to be more like the Americans (but, hey, what's new about that? laugh )

http://www.lawyersweekly.ca/index.php?section=article&articleid=952

ML wave

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Fifteen years and one career change ago, my husband received his JD. While it probably will be fun to sign your name as ML Thompson, J.D., I believe that according to old British and American traditions (especially in the state of California), you may now also be known as ML Thompson, Esq. (for Esquire)

Go you!

B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Actually, I heard that while it's appropriate for other people to call you esquire, it's improper (manners wise) to use the term for yourself.

Two important pieces of etiquette to know about the usage of Esq. are that one does not use it of oneself (that is, one should not use it on one's own business cards or stationery)--it should be used only in address to other people; and that it takes precedence over all other titles, so that you shouldn't say "Mr. Robert D. Ardizzi, Esq." or even "Dr. John Smith, Esq.," but only "Robert D. Ardizzi, Esq."
(from here )

Which I found totally bizarre, but hey. {shrug}

I personally am all for ditching esquire and putting a nice "Dr" in front of our names. :-)

Bethy (the almost-esquire/dr -- passed the bar!!! Just waiting for the swearing in for it to be official!)

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Interesting--I don't think I even had heard of "Juris Doctor" before (I didn't know how law degrees were called). I feel more educated now.

And congratulations, Bethy!!!! party

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
R
Rac Offline
Columnist
Columnist
R
I guess, as with many good legal questions, the answer is, "it depends." In the Middle East, you absolutely would use "Dr." because here, you would want to distinguish between the undergraduate law degree (which is what is required to practice law) and a graduate law degree. In Germany, about ten percent of lawyers hold a Doctor of Laws degree (requiring a thesis and oral exam beyond the master's level work it takes to become a lawyer). They use the title Dr.

In the US, JDs don't use the title Dr., but SJDs (Doctors of Juridical Science, the terminal degree for the study of law, after the JD and the LLM) do.

Rac

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
rotflol If you call yourself Doctor down here in the States, people are only going to talk to you about their aches, pains, gastric problems and headaches instead of any legal issues. Normally, medical doctors are the only ones who use the title in daily life.
After reading the article, I see why the Canadian system was changed. LLB definitely sounds like a lower grade degree. My father had a Ph.D. in Education, but never used the term in his personal life, or much in his professional life because everyone around him had the same degree.
Anyway, congrats on your J.D.!
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard