Next Thread
Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
In the hope that there are some fans out there....

When it was airing, I never really watched this one, but I'm looking for something new and thought maybe I'd give it a go on DVD, if I can pick up S1 cheap.

One question though - do John and Aeryn get together in the end? I'm so tired of ship without a happy ending.... (yes, I've been rewatching Atlantis and I'm a frustrated J/T shipper laugh )

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes.

Do you want more spoilers?

Michael, who's re-watched it about a year ago.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
Kerth
Yes, but you need The Peacekeeper Wars as well as the series to see how things come out.

Reminds me to rec this:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5552402/1/Framed

It's a fun post-series and post Peacekeeper Wars Farscape / Ugly Betty crossover

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, guys!

Do you want more spoilers?
No, thanks - I'm looking forward to watching something I haven't seen before and have no real idea what's coming next.

Although, my plans may be thwarted as I've discovered on Amazon that it's not readily available on DVD and is somewhat rare to get. Which I find a little surprising. Although, I have to say, that it does seem to be one of those shows which was aired once and then never seen again, here in the UK. *

Going on the hunt though, so perhaps I'll get lucky...

LabRat smile

* Okay....scratch that, because I just read this on Wiki:

Currently (2010), the entire series is rerunning on the FX (UK) channel in the United Kingdom.
Prompting me to go...WT...? With my luck, I'll have just missed the darn thing. goofy

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Since I want to know such strange things for myself and before I'm to suggest 'alternate' ways of acquiring the material...

Here are all 4 seasons (and, I'm asuming, the PK Wars):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Farscape-Complete-Collectors-Ben-Browder/dp/B003Y3VWGQ/ref=pd_cp_d_h__0
And it's going to be released soon, just in time for an early Christmas.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Michael. It's a little too expensive for something I'd be buying on spec - BUT, I've checked out FX and it turns out it's being repeated weekdays at 6 pm and I've only missed the first 5 episodes.

So, if I watch it on FX and happen to fall in love...yes, a November release will be nicely in time to treat myself. wink

I've bookmarked it. laugh

From the description, btw, it doesn't seem to include TPW. But that seems to be pretty cheaply priced, so buying it on its own wouldn't create much of an issue. It does seem to include a nice amount and range of special features, so it definitely looks like something I'd want to add to my DVD collection if I enjoy the show enough.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just popping in to say I was a fan too and missed it when it ended. We have the Peacekeeper Wars on DVD. IIRC, it never aired, just went to DVD in the States.
Ah, for the good old days!
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Merriwether
Merriwether
The Peacekeeper Wars aired on SciFi, I think before the DVDs came out. I remember waiting anxiously for it to air.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
O.K. There was some reason we couldn't see it when it aired, then. I don't remember why. So we got the DVD and saw it all at once and felt it was better that way. Anyway, we still have it.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Labby, a word of warning... they may get together in the end, but I didn't make it that far, with TPTB's jerking them around and keeping them apart in ridiculous ways. I think I gave up somewhere in third season, or maybe it just seemed like it took that long... drove me nuts. But then, I have a low tolerance for angst, as you may know wink Maybe it'll be just your cuppa...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, I don't really mind the journey, Pam - no matter how convoluted - so long as I know they make it in the end. It's the faffing around and then chickening out and never going through with it that gets on my nerves. laugh

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
K
Blogger
Blogger
K
Farscape, for a true sci-fi fan, is the most intense, grab you by the eyeballs, heart, mind and whole being experience. I hope they didn't get my soul because the series did get very dark at times. Aeryn and John are acted in such a way that you have to remind yourself you're watching fiction. Ben Browder and Claudia Black give these performances everything they've got and the characters seem to take on a life of their own. The rest of the cast is amazing as well.

The angst is hard to take because it all seems so real (and yes, there are animatronic characters and it's still going to get to you). I actually watched when it first ran, stopped watching because I couldn't stand the angst, and finished watching years later on DVD/internet. There are some episodes I still can't make myself watch, knowing the synopsis beforehand.

In the end the story is ultimately satisfying, hopeful ( a recurring theme), and well resolved. To get to the resolution you have to watch PKW, which takes the place of the planned, but never filmed, last season. I wish they had been able to film it in a 5th season version, but PKW gets the job done.

Farscape is not for the squeamish. It will engage you and astound you. Get ready for an impossible ride.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I was not a Farscape fan when the series aired, but I did see PKW and I was impressed with both Ben Browder and Claudia Black. They played characters who were completely different from the ones they played on SG-1 (especially Claudia, who IIRC may have smiled twice in PKW and one of those times was when she shot someone). And they started PKW with what may be the best you-have-to-be-KIDDING-ME! moment (the closer from the final full season) that I've ever seen anywhere.

Bottom line, if you can buy into the weird characters and the *cough-cough* odd relationships, you'll love it. The drama and angst are definitely there for the slurping.

And some of the toys stay broken, too.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
K
Blogger
Blogger
K
Labby,

Since you write such beautiful fanfic, you might want to know that Farscape fans have written some of the most amazing fanfic (and nfic) I've ever seen. I've seen it used as an example for writing classes, for good reason.

You do not want to go read it before you get through the story itself. I can tell you one author that just blew me away, but her work is true to canon for the story and so full of A-plot, spoilers, and general craziness that it would be distracting and/or disturbing if read prior to knowing the story. So let me know when you're ready and you'll get the link.

The story itself also pushes the envelope (oh, heck, tears it to bits) so much so that the Tank-isms belong there. But again, hope wins.

Also they do not do as good a job blocking the nfic from underage types. I like the way the Lois and Clark team does it much better. But then Farscape was not written as a general audience story, I think.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard