Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Way to go, [Linked Image]!

OK, now I hope Brazil gets well prepared for Friday's game, having guaranteed a position in the next round or not. dizzy

malu

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
OK, now I hope Brazil gets well prepared for Friday's game, having guaranteed a position in the next round or not.
I'm looking forward to that match. Even if Brazil crushes Portugal we still have a chance of going of qualifying for the next round wink

And I hope my country's team doesn't get inflammed heads because of that whole 7-0 event. Even if they're more comfortable in the goal department it doesn't guarantee anything yet huh

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Woohoo! England go through to the final 16! I'm genuinely happy about this, and I don't even like football.
[Linked Image]

- Alisha (who personally believes that any country who calls football 'soccer' should be automatically disqualified for not knowing what game they're playing!)

malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
The US made it (just barely)! laugh

party [Linked Image]

And on Saturday we'll see USA vs. Ghana.

malu

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Landon Donovan is my hero smile That is all.

What a fabulous, dramatic game! From not making it to the next round to winner of our group... the World Cup is craziness. Love it!

Tracey smile

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Disappointed that Australia didn't make the round of 16 this time, but it was hard fought effort by our boys considering how we started off. Good luck to the rest of the teams!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
come on England, we haven't won in over 40 years, make this the year we do!
hyper

malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Anyone here still watching the World Cup games?

I know that many of the countries people were cheering for were sent home already, but... are you still watching and cheering for (or against) another country, then? What are your expectations for the next round?

Those who win the quarterfinals Friday and Saturday get to play two more games (win or lose).

malu

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I have been following them. I'm thinking the final will be between Argentina and Brazil they both have been playing well.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
With the downfall of Brazil frown and Argentina, it is looking more and more like an European final (unless Uruguay, already qualified for the semifinals, and Paraguay, to play in a few minutes, beat the European giants).

malu

malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Yep, it's a (mostly) European semifinal.

malu

C
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
C
*waves flag* [Linked Image]

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Joining in to wave my flag as well smile

It definitely looks very good for european teams. Unless Uruguay does something about it.

I think the best thing in this worldcup is that good teams are prevailing to individual quality.Portugal, with Cristiano Ronaldo, went home. Argentina, with the best player in the world, was defeated today by a great Germany. Brazil, yesterday, with some trully amazing players (Kaka, Robinho, Alves, Maicon...), suffered the same fate against the Netherlands, again 11 players working like a real team. .

Spain has Villa, who right now is probably playing his best ever, but the rest of the guys... they are by no means far behind: Iniesta, Ramos, Xavi, Xabi, Busquets... Casillas finally today... They too are working as a whole team... and we made the semifinals for the first time ever, after our hardest match so far (kuddos to Paraguay for a great played game!)!!!!

party

A weird World Cup in many ways, with many countries out sooner than expected, with controversial referees and some hard to understand decisions. With a ball that seems to have a life of its own... But a very very fun competition to follow where, finally, team spirit, team work is being the key to success.

Let the games continue!!!!

[Linked Image]

Cris
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have seen a few matches when I have been visiting my friend, who is a football freak. (I can't quite bring myself to say "soccer freak".) I've been incredibly impressed by Germany, I must say. They are just incredibly good at scoring goals! They scored four goals against England, who, unfortunately, had a goal stolen from them by a lousy referee, and the match may have developed differently if their goal had been accepted. Still, I'm convinced that Germany would have won anyway.

Then Germany scored four goals again in the next match, this time against Argentina, which had looked so good up till then. Fantastic. Germany have played magnificently!

Ann

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Much as I like to watch Portugal play and Christiano Ronaldo's ball skills my dad is of the opinion that he is a ball hog in that he wants to be the one to steal the glory from all others. This presents a problem for the rest of the team because of many wasted opportunities.

What marks players such as Lionel Messi of Argentina and David Villa of Spain is that inspite of their brilliant talent they recognise that football is a team sport and that there is no I in team. From all the games I have seen so far both Villa and Messi take a chance on goal when they see one, but they also create chances for their team members which to me marks them as better players overall.

Personally I think that Germany will be too strong for Spain given the way Germany overpowered Argentina in that quarterfinal.

According to my dad, since the top two South American teams were outplayed by The Dutch and The Germans respectively, he thinks that it'll be Germany vs The Netherlands in the final with Germany taking the title.

If Germany do win at least Australia losing 4-0 to them in their opening game is not that big of a blow. Though that being said I think given that Argentina lost 4-0 to them the Socceroos can probably feel better about their loss given that Argentina is a far more superior team than that of Australia. Not that I don't love my home team, just that I've been watching football long enough to know that the South American teams are in a class all their own.

Helen Keller
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Go Germany! I am so impressed with the team's performance so far. Incredible matches!

I hope they will continue to be a strong force on Wednesday when they play Spain. I want them to go all the way now and after they dismissed England and Argentina the way they did, anything is possible! dance

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Sorry but I can't help it... gotta wave my flag again clap

Amazing game and amazing night out in our streets!

[Linked Image]

Cris
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So it's Spain - Netherlands in the final!

Not sure who I want to support in this one. Give me reasons!

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Wow! I was so surprised that Germany didn't make it to the final. But Spain played really well. Congratulations, Spain!

Ann

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Congrats to Spain for making the final that was a cracker of a goal and in such a tense and close match too. The Netherlands are undefeated while the Spainards have lost one game so it'll be an interesting match up.

I wish both teams good luck in the final for me it doesn't matter who win because they both have never won the title and this is the first time Spain has made the final they've always been the team that has underperformed at the finals. They are however the reigning European champions so that might give them an edge. Sentimentally for us Aussies we'll be cheering on The Netherlands because we've had the most success on the world stage due to Dutch coaches, but I'll be happy to see either team win. In fact I'll be hoping for a European top three.

Helen Keller
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard