Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
So my mom wanted me to do some searching to find something for my dad for Father's Day. Since we are fed up with him playing ball games at deafening volumes on his radio while he works in the yard or garage or whatever, she figured a portable radio/mp3 player would work the best. Radio is really what we're going for, but he's seen my iPod Nano and liked that it could have mp3s and stuff on it so having the ability to take his music with him like that would be something he'd enjoy. Beyond that, the only real factors we're looking at are quality and cost, and the best place to hear about all that, I thought, might be to start with you guys.

So here's your opportunity to tell me what you think is the best one to get, what I should stay away from, your own experiences with one, etc. I'm all ears. smile

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
If you have access to the Internet via a wireless network, and if cost is not a major factor, I would suggest the iPod Touch. There are numerous apps available that will let him, in essence, use it as a radio.

- Lynn

Features Writer
Features Writer
An affordable option that is small is the Sandisk Sansa Clip+. THey have the capacity of 2GB, 4GB and 8GB (and you can expand with MicroSDHC cards) with a starting price of 40 dollars. It plays MP3 and FM radio. I gave one to my father and he really enjoys it.

Here's the Sandisk page with more details.

malu

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
We have three of the 2G Sansas. I found them for 15 on Woot.com around Christmas [refurb but work just fine]. DH uses the radio while he mows.

Features Writer
Features Writer
I have a Microsoft Zune and like it a lot better than my husband's iPod Nano. I like the shape and the features better. If you're back in Washington -- I can't remember -- you should check the Fry's in Renton. They have refurbished mp3 players that are cheaper than the Apple store, etc. You can get an 8gb Zune for about $50 these days, along with other good deals.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thanks for the suggestions--I'll be checking those out. smile

Maybe I should specify that my dad mostly listens to ball games, which is AM radio, so whatever I get needs to get AM radio. I assumed radio was radio, but seeing mentioned that one has only mp3 and FM capabilities . . . I guess I hadn't thought about that an emphasis on music would mean a de-emphasis on the AM side of things.

Cost is somewhat of a factor, so we'll probably steer clear of the iPod Touch. We do have some room to work with, my mom didn't specify an exact limit, but I think we need to keep it pretty low.

Yeah, I'm back in Washington state. Renton isn't that far away for a trip like that, and I definitely could make it. Might have to see if I can get my mom to come with me sometime--and not arouse my dad's suspicions . . . on the other hand, that might be tricky. *g*

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard