Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Can't resist posting this link . It is about an American TV channel aimed exclusively at a male audience, and one TV channel aimed exclusively at a female audience. I particularly enjoyed the illustration of the target audiences, represented by a male and a female head. The female head has a pink brain, and the brain is full of dangerous weapons, fattening foods, designer clothes and college-level books, because that is what it is thinking about. The male head has a blue brain, and it is wearing a bra.

Ann

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Hm... I will admit to watching Lifetime from time to time [hasn't Dean done a few Lifetime movies?] but not nearly as much as my MIL wink .

Spike. Um. No. DH does occasionally but not often.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Spike does things like "Pimp my truck" and mechanically oriented shows too. Their reality shows are more into constructing thinks or crashing machines together. Those I've watched. They also rerun the more adrenaline based shows of the past such as CSI.
Lifetime I haven't watched as much except for the occasional Dean movie. They are also famous for "Army Wives" staring Catherine Bell and "The L Word" for lesbian drama. So the dichotomy is a bit more complex than Venus vs. Mars.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Thanks for posting the link! I loved it, and I emailed it to a few other people.

My husband does not watch any of the original programming on Spike, but once in a while he will watch a movie. He is outnumbered by females here (my daughter and me; my son lives away at college), so he does get dragged into watching some Lifetime shows, mostly Project Runway and Drop Dead Diva. We don't watch any of the "women in danger"-type movies, though.

Both networks do know their audiences, very well.

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have watched Lifetime in the past, but have never seen Spike. We don't currently have a TV and I haven't had cable for over 4 years, but I have to say that this article had me ROTFLMAO! rotflol

Thanks for posting the link.
B

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The article was pretty darn funny. I loved the conclusion:

CONCLUSIONS

We can, from these observations, construct the perfect day as imagined by a gal and by a guy.

In the gal’s perfect day she is kidnapped on the way back from putting the kids on the school bus but vanquishes the kidnappers in time to go for a fattening lunch with her single-mom pals, at which they lament their lack of dates before donning designer gowns to go to a school board meeting where they successfully address all major educational problems.

In the guy’s perfect day he awakes and, still sleepy, sticks his hand down a running garbage disposal trying to retrieve the bottle opener he has dropped in it; an ambulance crew made up entirely of strippers rushes him to the Hospital for Advanced Trauma Care and Stripping, where naked but highly trained female surgeons sew his hand back on, then take him home and wash his entire house as well as his car with their breasts while answering questions like: Does being spanked make a woman want to have sex?

So, clearly, members of one sex are living in a sad, unrealistic fantasy world, trying in vain to compensate for the drabness of their day-to-day lives. Members of the other are living a rich life of the imagination, at peace with their self-image and excited by what the future might hold. Which is which goes without saying.
Maybe a little over-the-top, but valid.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard