Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#222528 01/21/10 06:26 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Count me in as part of the "I Love Peanut Butter" brigade.

#222529 01/21/10 11:29 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Well, you can get peanut butter in Germany, but it's not a favorite here. Because there is no reason to like peanut butter if you have Nutella. laugh

Out of curiosity, I once tried peanut butter, and found that I didn't like it at all. (I don't remember if there was sugar in it, but I think there was.)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#222530 01/21/10 11:51 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Just thought I would mention that the peanut butter from the US is much more smooth than what I was used to in Australia/New Zealand.
I can't get the Aussie crunchy or super crunchy peanut butter here in HK (my kids LOVE peanut butter), but the US 'crunchy' brands I have tried have very little peanut bits in it at all and are mostly just the smooth 'butter' part. (In Oz I can get a crunchy peanut butter that is mostly chunks smile )

In NZ peanut butter sandwiches were common at school, and in my day the popular flavours were 'Peanut butter with chips - I think you call them Crisps in other parts of the world' and peanut butter with strawberry or raspberry jam. Failing that we did the good old Fairy bread sandwiches (which are hundreds and thousands sprinkles on buttered bread).

My daughter takes peanut butter sandwiches to school once in a while here, although the 'norm' in HK schools is stir fried noodles or fried rice cooked in the morning and put in a little thermos pot that keeps it hot until lunch.

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
#222531 01/22/10 05:00 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
My daughter ate Nutella sandwiches for about a year after she spent 3 weeks in France, because the family she lived with there ate it all the time. She has gone back to eating peanut butter now. Some of the grocery stores here carry Nutella as a regular item but we had to ask ours to order it. They still carry it, so we must not be the only ones buying it. I think I have also seen ads for it on TV lately.

#222532 01/22/10 08:59 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Here in Portugal the biggest supermarkets sell peanut butter, but it doesn't seem to be one of the favorite items since there are usually only two different brands on the shelves, and there are no more than 20 jars of peanut butter sitting there at any time... I've tried it on sandwiches, but can't seem to like it no matter what goofy But I've never combined it with bananas, so it might be a good future experience that will shift my perception of peanut butter...
Still, Nutella and the like, such as Tulicreme, are exponencially more popular than peanut butter at the tail of Europe.

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
#222533 01/22/10 06:20 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I love Nutella too, but it's hard to get around here.

#222534 01/26/10 07:19 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
if there is then i never ate it

#222535 01/26/10 11:55 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well I can testify as of this evening that peanut butter is good bait for mousetraps. I shall have to go buy more...
Definitely yes, Marcus. We always use peanut butter in the traps.
PB&J is a staple in our house. There is always a jar of chunky peanut butter at hand. I like it plain, but hubby likes it with jam or jelly. Usually that means sugar free preserves (which are runnier than regular preserves) at our house.
I use the terms jam and jelly interchangeably.
PB&J was a staple of our school lunches (you brought your own then) and our kids' lunches. Two pieces of white bread with a spread of peanut butter,margarine (to unstick it some) and jelly/jam. For the kids it was wheat bread.
I do recall Hubby buying a jar of peanut butter at a Tesco in England because he was dying for a taste of it. It was different, he said, but didn't tell me how it was different.
I can't stand vegemite or marmite and they are advertising nutella here frequently.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#222536 02/02/10 01:09 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I think I can honestly say not a week went by when I didn't have a peanut butter and honey sandwhich when I was at school. That and vegimite and cheese.
Nowadays, I very rarely eat peanut butter.

Avatar: Michael Clarke, awesome Aussie cricket player
#222537 02/02/10 07:14 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yum, peanut butter and honey! I've always loved it that way!

I've never tried vegemite, though. I don't think you can get it in San Diego. I've never seen it at the grocery store, at least.

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
#222538 04/20/10 06:49 AM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I'm very late coming to this discussion, and I bring it up again because no one has mentioned my favorite sandwich combination: peanut butter with bread and butter pickles. For those unfamiliar with pickles, these are pickle chips that are slightly sweet. I rarely eat peanut butter anymore because it is too salty and sweet. There is a particular brand in the U.S., Adams, that purports to be 'natural'. They have a low salt variety. If you make it yourself and don't add some salt, you'll find it's just too bland.

We tried vegemite in New Zealand but found it unappetizing. It all depends on what you've grown up with. In the South, where I grew up, peanut butter and bananas were a staple. The bananas are sliced not mashed.I prefer them slightly green and firm. Elvis' favorite, by the way, was peanut butter with banana on white bread and fried in butter. No wonder he gained so much weight.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard