Next Thread
Print Thread
#222490 01/11/10 08:42 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Another question for all my traveling friends wink

Now that I am finally working again, it is time to plan my next trip. <g>

When is the best time for an Alaskan cruise? And for a Hawaiian vacation?

I am hoping to do both before I return to Germany in the fall and was thinking one in May and the other possibly in September. I have been checking out cruises to Alaska in May (Seattle-Vancouver) and found them very reasonably priced but now I am wondering if maybe Hawaii would be better in the spring because I don't want it to be too hot...

And what island what you recommend I should visit? I would probably just do a one-week stay and no island hopping. Ever since Nan posted about that helicopter flight she took, I have been wanting to do the same!! Would love to see the islands and volcanoes from above...

I just figure since I am already this close, I can save a lot on airfares too. laugh

Any input, ideas, suggestions, anecdotes are much appreciated!

Natascha wave

#222491 01/12/10 04:54 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Congratulations on working again! What job did you find?

I have never been to Hawaii, but my family and I visited Alaska at the end of May a few years ago. We really enjoyed it. The prices were lower because it was early in the season and the weather was not bad. I think my favorite part was the day we spent on a small whale-watching boat that left from Seward. We spent a week traveling from Anchorage to Denali and then south again to Seward, and then another week on a cruise to Vancouver. The cruise was actually my least favorite part of the trip, because it felt anticlimactic after everything else we had done.

One thing to remember about Alaska is that it is all about the outdoors, and the cities are really just small towns. At one point we wanted to find a hardware store and we were told that the nearest one was 140 miles away. Then another time we needed a dentist, but we were told he only came to town for 2 days a week, so I repaired the braces on my daughter's teeth with my Leatherman tool instead.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip.

P.S. I think the end of May is better for Alaska than mid-May. My sister went to Alaska the year after we did, on the first cruise of the season, and the ice had not melted enough in some areas to let the ship through. On the other hand, I have always wanted to go dog sledding, and you can't do that at all in the summer unless you pay an enormous amount of money to go up on one of the glaciers. With four of us that was out of the question, but we did visit a kennel where they raised sled dogs.

#222492 01/12/10 07:13 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Both times I've been to Alaska were in June, and the weather was perfect. Pretty much the only thing I've ever done there is rafting though, so early summer was pretty good for that.

Personally my favorite island so far is Oahu (the other one I've been to is Maui). I'm a complete sucker for surfing on Waikiki Beach with all the other amateur surfers :p , watching the insane surfers hit North Shore, and Diamond Head is pretty cool to look at. I loved the snorkeling in Haunama Bay. I'm also a souvenir shop junkie and they have a great outdoor mall with a million and one people selling their goods.

I pretty much only travel in June so I can't attest to the time of year that would be best, but either way you'll have a fabulous trip!

dance
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#222493 01/13/10 09:09 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hey Tascha,

I have not cruised to Alaska, but several of my friends have, since it's so cheap to go from here. I have heard it's great to go in late spring because it's getting warm then. I have heard the ships up there are AMAZING and the tours are really fun. Some friends and I have talked about going on one in a few years.

As for Hawaii, I'll play the part of resident Maui expert. wink I have been to the island four times (including getting married there) and have been to Kauai once, on my honeymoon. I absolutely LOVE Maui because it has both the nature (i.e. the road to Hana, the volcano, which has an amazing sunset bike ride option) and the more "touristy" activities (i.e. parasailing, whale watching, snorkeling, shopping, etc.), unlike some of the other islands. I have not been to Oahu, but it's a lot more urban -- flying into Honolulu for a layover to Maui, I was surprised there were high-rise buildings -- and Kauai is SUPER outdoorsy. It is gorgeous, though. Maui is really the best of both worlds, and Kaanapali Beach has been voted one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

I have been to Hawaii at different points of the year, and while the weather is absolutely perfect around the end of June, I'd suggest going in April or the beginning of May. It's still going to be great weather and warm enough to swim (unlike February, which is more warm than hot and July and August, which are burn-your-feet-on-the-sand hot) but it's also low season. Hotels, airfare and rental cars are cheaper during low season (technically April through November) and then they skyrocket in mid-May.

Hope that helps! If you decide to go to Maui or Kauai and want some recs, let me know! (And maybe you'll run into us! We're debating when this spring we're going to Maui!)

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
#222494 01/14/10 09:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Tasha:
ALOHA from the Big Island of Hawaii! Spring is good here. Alaska is good the end of August when all the stores are selling off their stuff.
I can recommend stuff on both when my connection is better!
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#222495 01/15/10 01:39 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm back with a better connection! Nan did the helo tour here on the Big Island.
Also something Hubby and I recommend is Norwegian Cruise Lines both for price and quality.
Here is a link: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruisesearch/cruisesearch.html
We will be in Vancouver May 8 for 3 days after a cruise up from LA.
Good luck!
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard