Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#222175 12/12/09 08:12 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
What, in your opinion, is the most implausible and absurd television show currently on the air? Note: I don't mean the premise of the show, but the most implausible once you accept the premise?

This question is inspired by Bobbart's new fic When the Sky Falls. Once you accept the premise that Superman exists, the rest of the story could be plausible, unlike some of the LnC episodes. (I liked the first LnC episode with HG Wells, which was of course based on the movie Time After Time, but I got tired of him and Tempus after that.) The various Star Trek series (now only in reruns, unfortunately) are plausible if you accept the premise that humans of the future will travel in space using a "warp drive" and will encounter other species. Most of Dr. Who is plausible if you accept that an alien who looks human has a spaceship that appears to be a phone box and which allow him to travel through time and space. OK, okay, maybe I should exclude any science fiction story . . .

But the TV show that currently has me yelling "That can't happen!" at the screen is White Collar, on the USA network. It has been coming on after I watch Monk and when I'm not necessarily ready to go to bed, so I have watched a few episodes. The premise is a master criminal who is recruited to work as a consultant for the FBI. I can accept that ONLY because I saw the premier shortly after re-watching Catch Me If You Can, which is based on a true story in which that was actually the result. (At least according to the afterword where they tell what happened to the real characters.) But on White Collar they constantly have the FBI doing things that are 'way outside their authority or where they have no jurisdiction, like the writers learned everything they know about law enforcement from watching late-night TV. (Hmm, d'ya think that's where the LnC writers learned their science?)

So getting back to my original question, which show currently on TV is the most implausible and absurd? Why? And are you watching it anyway?

#222176 12/12/09 08:34 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Heh, then I guess for me it's White Collar. I watch it because I enjoy crime, plain and simple, and I enjoy the individual characters. If I was that concerned with the jurisdiction of the FBI, then I'd go hang out at the FBI headquarters where my grandmother used to work.

We all have the most common ground in LnC, and I think that's the easiest show to talk about as far as things that are or are not very plausible. Still chuckling about the Ghosts episode myself! But that's a lot easier for me to do since we all enjoy the series anyway. There were still scenes I enjoyed in Ghosts regardless.

I'm afraid I'd inadvertently offend someone by trying to pick apart other tv shows, but I'm all ears for any LnC or similar superhero-ish discussions. thumbsup

Cheerio,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#222177 12/12/09 10:54 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
We're behind on our watching, but we're TIVO-ing Flash Forward. The most recent episode we saw had Mark, the brilliant young FBI agent, puzzling over who might have sent that incriminating text message revealing his dark secret to his young beautiful wife... 'cause he happened to see it on the screen of her phone when it rang, several weeks after the text was received. (it looked nothing like any text I've ever gotten, but phones vary, so I'll grant them that one, but not that it would *still* be displayed, unless she managed to set it as her wallpaper or something, to depress herself every time she used the phone) Instead of finding/investigating the phone # it came from, he went around insulting the only two people he had trusted enough to share the secret with. Um, hello??

PJ
who thinks she remembers that Aaron sent it, but who might be mis-remembering...

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#222178 12/12/09 01:08 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
who thinks she remembers that Aaron sent it, but who might be mis-remembering...
Nah, I don't think it gave any hints. But I hear ya about the text message.

Something else that's been bugging me about Flash Forward... Olivia said in her Flash Forward she could FEEL that she had affection for Lloyd Simcoe... implying that you actually could feel your emotions in your Flash Forward. So how come Demetri's fiance couldn't feel in her Flash Forward that she was grieving, not anxiously waiting to get hitched. I mean that's fine that she couldn't have known it was Demetri's funeral service but wouldn't she have been like, "Demetri, I saw our wedding day... I was REALLY sad for some reason though." I accept the premise of Flash Forwards but PLEASE, be consistant with them.

Steph (who thinks Flash Forward is the best new TV show this year)

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#222179 12/13/09 06:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, consistency would be nice, wouldn't it? Too much to ask, though. Thanks for the memory boost.

The fiancee confuses me. I mean, it sure looked like a beach wedding; she was smiling, wasn't she? But it couldn't have been his funeral; he was supposed to have been murdered on March 15th, so I have no idea who his fiancee thought she was marrying on April 29th...

And anyway, we now know that the future can be changed (better tell those Blue Hand cults) ... although changing it when you don't know which details to change can be tricky.

I guess we'll have to keep watching. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#222180 12/13/09 07:37 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I think it was more of a memorial than a funeral. I didn't see any sign of a body, and it looked like she was about to toss a flower to the ocean in memory.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#222181 12/13/09 11:11 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Bones is increasingly silly. For me the rot really set in during season 3, but the two-part London-based episode that began S4 showed that it had really jumped the shark. Here's part of a review I wrote on tv.com:

what is it about setting an episode in Britain that destroys the minds of US TV producers?

A murder is committed in London. Everyone involved, with the exception of the victim and her father (who are Americans resident in London, and are not diplomats or in any other way entitled to special treatment) is British. That means that it is British jurisdiction all the way, that the case will be tried in a British court, etc. etc.

So why are they involving an American forensic anthropologist and FBI agent? Why are they sending specimens from the crime scene to the USA? Why would the prosecution allow this? It's a huge gaping trail in the chain of evidence, and involves personnel who are presumably not certified to work within the British legal system. Are they planning to ship Brennan, Booth, and a dozen forensic technicians over to Britain for the trial? The defence must be rubbing their hands with glee.

OK, ignoring all that (though it isn't easy), we have a British woman cop with an accent that is not exactly likely for anyone who actually works for a living. Who is sleeping with the British archaeologist/forensic scientist in the first murder, who becomes the victim in the second, and is still allowed to work on the case. Can you spell conflict of interest?

OK, ignoring all that too, why does any murder story set in Britain have to involve the aristocracy? Why does every second character have to have an accent that makes Dick Van Dyke's Mary Poppins performance sound convincing? And why does nobody in the story behave like a real person?
From there, unfortunately, the season seemed to go downhill...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#222182 12/13/09 12:53 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I haven't posted on these boards in a very, very long time, but something about Marcus's comments about Bones has prompted me to log in and type.

Oh, Marcus! I agree so much with all that you said about Bones and London. But to all that you said, I have yet another gripe to add. What is it about American shows shot in Britain and minis?

One character struggling to get used to driving a small car is pretty much the same as another, yet this plot device gets used over and over and over again. It's not original, and it has long since ceased to be amusing.

Seeing Booth trying to drive a mini simply added to the pain that were the Bones London episodes.

Krissie

#222183 12/14/09 06:46 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I realised when I read that that there is an additional problem with that episode - Booth has trouble driving a car in London, but it's revealed in a later episode that he spent several weeks in Japan, another country that has small cars and drives on the left.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#222184 12/14/09 07:03 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So why are they involving an American forensic anthropologist and FBI agent? Why are they sending specimens from the crime scene to the USA? Why would the prosecution allow this? It's a huge gaping trail in the chain of evidence, and involves personnel who are presumably not certified to work within the British legal system. Are they planning to ship Brennan, Booth, and a dozen forensic technicians over to Britain for the trial? The defence must be rubbing their hands with glee.
Well, I could possibly understand a forensic anthropologist because I don't think there are many of them around. But the FBI? I haven't seen this particular episode, but I agree that it's absurd that they'd send evidence to the USA. The only way I could ever possibly see this done is if there was some really new technique being done or something. But it's just as likely that the "new technique" would be available in Britain or any other country. And if Scotland Yard did need a forensic anthropologist, I'm sure they'd first try to find one in Britain and next they'd try to find one elsewhere in Europe.

I haven't watched enough of White Collar to say anything, but I do know there are real former criminals (if I understand correctly, in White Collar, the guy was pulled out of jail) that work in helping police and private citizens learn about how to protect themselves from various types of crimes.

There are several shows that really irk me. I get so aggravated when I watch a "scientific" based show and they show someone having blood drawn or a medication being given intravenously which is usually done by on said show by some sort of medical personnel. Now, I'm pretty sure most people have had blood drawn. Have any of you ever seen medical personnel draw blood from a vein by sticking the needle in at a 90 degree angle? Oh, please. That just aggravates me to no end. The needles are put in at a 90 degree angle with injections given intramuscularly. But any kind of needle inserted into a vein is never put in at that angle. The needle would just go through the other side of the vein. The angle for insertion of needles into a vein is around 15 degrees. Don't these shows have some kind of medical personnel advising them? I've even seen this happen on so called medical shows.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#222185 12/15/09 04:32 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
On a similar theme, one show which I've slowly grown to love and yet which makes me laugh with its legal absurdities is Medium.

One scene in particular illustrates the point. A scene which I simultaneously love and which makes me laugh because it's just so absurd.

During a trial, the defence lawyer is aggressively badgering Alison on the stand, trying to make her confess to being a psychic. Finally, Alison covers the mike and engages in a private conversation with the lawyer right there in open court in which she reveals certain unsavoury secrets about him, which he wouldn't want to be made public. She then sits back and the lawyer says he has no more questions and she can go.

Hello?! Can you say mistrial? laugh

In a similar vein, barely a week goes by on this show where there isn't some legal nonsense that makes zero sense. But despite this, I love it dearly anyway. I'm eagerly waiting for my S5 box set to arrive. jump

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#222186 12/16/09 05:08 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Labby, I like Medium, too (a lot), but it is pretty absurd sometimes. I'm thinking it highly unlikely that a judge would ever sign a search warrant based on a psychic's dream. And would a district attorney's office actually have a psychic on their staff? I find it more likely the psychic would be a consultant if one was sought out.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard