Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#222037 11/26/09 09:06 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
OK, so it's Thanksgiving, my son is home from college, and the family is trying to agree on a movie to watch together. I am wondering how the rest of you spend the day on holidays when you are home. (If I knew how to set up a poll, I would.) When you are not eating/preparing food/cleaning up, are you 1.) sitting around talking; 2.) watching sports on television; 3.) outside playing sports or something else active; 4.) watching something other than sports on television; 5.) leaving the house to shop or go sightseeing; 6.) playing board games or card games; 7.) following your normal routine; or 8.) something else?

Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, my son is at home from college for a few days. Other than that I suspect that our Thanksgiving, at least for this year, isn't exactly traditional. For us it's mostly just another day at home. We are generally spread out around the house doing our own thing. We will be watching a movie together later this afternoon. (Angles & Demons)

I spent the morning reviewing a history paper for one of my son's classes. Right now, I am about to begin upgrading our one and only Vista PC to Windows 7. (I'm working on another XP-based machine now.)

Later we will be having a Lasagna dinner. (We have sort of given up on Turkey, at least for a few years.)

Not exactly Norman Rockwell. goofy

Edit:
The Win 7 upgrade took all day but went perfectly. (Yeah, I was surprised too.)
And my son says that dad's special recipe Lasagna has turkey beat hands down. dance

Bob

Top Banana
Top Banana
My family and I go to my parent's house for a late lunch usually. We are fortunate that my hubby's family also lives in town so they go to my parent's house also. My grandparents generally go too and one of my uncles... along w/ my sister and her family, my brother and his girlfriend and my sis-in-law and her husband. It's a packed house and usually we end up all just hanging around together after we eat.

Football is most definitely on the TV (Go Cowboys & UT!!) along w/ a bunch of the guys playing football in the front yard.

All in all, a great day. laugh Who would of thought after last week's drama? (My MIL and mom got into it over where Thanksgiving would take place, etc... it seems to have gotten more tense ever since my daughter was born..) frown

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, this year was different for the family because we all missed Mom and we missed her pecan pie, too. Her pecan pie was absolutely the best pecan pie around!

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
It was horrible.

We go over to my mom's for Thanksgiving. This year it was myself, my sister and her husband, my nephew and his girlfriend, and my nephew's... three year old. A three year old!

Normally it would just be a fairly boring day of food, bad football, and some penny ante poker in the afternoon.

We had the bad football (both games stunk), and something sort of resembling poker (my nephew and his girlfriend aren't too knowledgable of the various games), and a three year old.

My mother lives in a mobile home so there isn't a lot of room, so everyone is pretty much crunched together in the living room and the kitchen/dining room. AND A THREE YEAR OLD!

Needless to say it was not the most pleasurable experience.

Tank (who says there shoiuld be some sort of camp that children can be sent to on the holidays)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Why, Tank, I didn't realize you didn't like children! (sarcastically said). Yes, a three year old can be a little rambunctious, but he had no one to play with. Next year, borrow a four year old to keep him company (he'll be four then).
rotflol rotflol
Artemis
Mother of 2 and grandmother of 2, and I survived!

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
To answer the thread - we went to a restaurant and called the kids who live across the country on Thanksgiving and wished them a Happy Thanksgiving. My daughter cooked for the seven of them, consisting of daughter, husband, his daughter, son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren, 6 and 2. Son and his family went home, laden with homebaked goodies and my daughter cleaned up. They had turkey and vegetarian lasgna with all the trimmings.
We had a buffet.
cool
Artemis
Happy Thanksgiving!

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Top Banana
Top Banana
This was the first Thanksgiving without my husband's mother, and everyone was missing her. In addition to some people not feeling up to celebrating, others were off the island, so we did not have our usual huge family gathering for Thanksgiving.

Instead, our immediate family gathered at my daughter's house (except my son, who lives in Miami and couldn't come for Thanksgiving.) It was my husband and myself, my two daughters and one son-in-law, and four grandchildren, aged 3, 4, 5, and 6. The adults spent a quite evening talking and sipping wine, while the children raced around and played.

Dinner was a blend of traditional Thanksgiving foods (turkey and gravy, cranberry sauce) and typical local foods (rice and pidgeon peas, a type of coconut custard, etc.)

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard