Print Thread
#221961 10/31/09 01:22 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Anyone who's been following my posts here for a while must know what I think about violence against women. Let me just say that I've been known to go ballistic here over a few Lois deathfics.

Now I've just read a column in a Swedish tabloid, where the columnist, Britta Svensson, says that she can no longer stand violence against women as a form of entertainment. In other words, if she is watching a movie about a made-up story and this movie suddenly shows a woman being raped, tortured and murdered, she will just get up and leave, if she is in a movie theater. She doesn't care what the rest of the audience think as she squeezes past people in order to get out.

And guess what? Britta Svensson claims that Nicole Kidman, of all people, agrees with her. (I guess you would have to ask Nicole Kidman herself to be absolutely sure of that, of course.)

Anyway, Nicole Kidman is the goodwill ambassador for something that may be called the UN Fund for Women (I read the article in Swedish, and it doesn't tell me the English name of this UN fund). Well, according to Britta Svensson, Nicole Kidman just recently testified before Congress, where she reportedly said that violence against women is the most systematic and widespread violation of human rights in the world. This violence knows no borders, no race, no class, according to Kidman. She also said that she will no more play parts which demean women. "I can't be responsible for all of Hollywood, but I can be responsible for my own career," Kidman said.

Yeah!!!!! Go Nicole!!!!

Ann

#221962 10/31/09 07:44 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's called the United Nations Development Fund for Women.

The link to their site is here UNIFEM

As for Nicole Kidman, she is (or at least was) a Goodwill Ambassador: Look here: UNIFEM Goodwill Ambassador Nicole Kidman

Bob

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard