Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#221955 10/30/09 10:01 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I vented about my job here once before and I need to again. Maybe it is because reading the stories on these boards is one of the things I do to keep myself sane, and to cheer myself up when I am depressed.

I am a jack-of-all trades at a small museum, which currently has only 2 employees, my supervisor and me. My job is part-time, or as I tell my friends, I only get paid for 29 hours a week (I end up donating a lot of time). On one hand the pay is lousy, my supervisor always finds reasons not to be there, she dumps a lot of work on me, including running our concert series, and there is never enough time to get everything done. On the other hand I like the location, I have a lot of freedom to run things my way, and I plan and teach a lot of classes, which is what I enjoy doing. I think I do pretty well considering the resources I have to work with.

Today is my day off, but I had asked someone at a sister location to call me at home about a program we are running together. In the course of the conversation she said, "Oh, didn't you get the memo? We've just been transferred." It turns out that both her location and mine are being moved under the control of the big museum in town, which has their own staff to plan and run programs. This information came in the second paragraph of an email to her about craft supplies, with a copy to me! (My supervisor has been out of town for the last month and doesn't know about it yet.)

I am feeling stressed. Maybe it is just that all change is stressful, maybe it is because I am worried that my job will become what it is on paper--merely answering the phone and entering information into the computer--and I will lose all the parts of it that I love. I guess it is time to begin job hunting, although many of my friends are out of work and have been hunting unsuccessfully for some time. I do not depend on this job for survival--I have other sources of income--but next year I will have 2 kids in college and our finances are already stretched. Today we were planning to go out for an early celebration of my birthday (because my husband will be out of town on the actual day), but I do not feel like celebrating at all.

Thanks for letting me vent.

#221956 10/30/09 11:05 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Don't let the buggers get you down. smile (don't know if I can say that here, but it seems very appropriate)

Go out to dinner! Enjoy, drink a little too much (only a little smile and have a good time. Let your husband tell you how wonderful you are. You're clearly energetic, a good organizer, and creative. Let the guys at the other place know that - you'll be indispensible.

carol

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard