Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#221782 10/03/09 07:24 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I just caught the premiere of Stargate Universe yesterday. Did anyone else see it? What did you think?

#221783 10/04/09 03:55 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I tried to watch it but it was opposite a Twins baseball game so I didn't stay with it.

From the bits that I saw it seemed slow and plodding. And the character of obnoxious, fat, kid genius was too stereotypical to be anything but annoying.

I don't think this is going to be on my must watch list.

Tank (who couldn't even force himself to watch the 'encore' showing after the ball game was over)

#221784 10/04/09 04:34 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I have it tagged to record - it starts here this coming...Thursday, I think.

I'm keeping an open mind, but I'm not that hopeful to be honest. At the moment, it seems to me to be a mix of Voyager and Battlestar Galactica. Been there....

But...I could be surprised. Been known. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#221785 10/04/09 05:26 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I watched it on hulu.com. I have to admit, I was kind of disappointed that they canceled Atlantis for this. It was nowhere near as good. Of course, it could get better. This was just the premier, after all. Still, not a promising beginning.

Oh, and I'm rather annoyed with the 'Syfy' channel for changing it's name from SciFi, too. I think they're new name is really dumb.

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
#221786 10/04/09 05:46 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, watched it. I'm not sure what I expected. They did mention it was going to be different, no primary bad guys, more character arc driven. It doesn't yet feel like Stargate to me and Rush seems like a real great choice for a leader. But AFAIK, that's all intentional. It's still got a big circular thingy and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Michael smile

PS: The SG-A pilot certainly had more of a wow-factor to it.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#221787 10/04/09 06:12 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
SGU seems to be off to a semi-slow start, but since it's more character-driven, it's understandable. The worst part is that it's 2 parts of a 3 parter, so the end-resolution isn't there. But I'm still interested in where it's going. Eli Wallace didn't bother me too much, but since I've been following David Blue on Twitter, I've been expecting the geeky fanboy.

The one bad thing about it, compared to the other shows, is that I wanted to take a pin and deflate RDA. Even his delivery didn't seem like Jack. The other cameos were good, though. I'm still snickering over Daniel.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#221788 10/12/09 04:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
We finally got around to watching the end of the pilot (up 'til they went through the gate) and I don't think this is something I'll want to watch. They obviously want to go for that dark/gritty/angst-filled/everyone's almost-always-miserable sort of vibe that Battlestar Galactica went with. Some interesting characters, but I don't want to watch them being tortured week to week. SG1 had its dark episodes, but there was a basic hopefulness there, and some very funny episodes, too. SGU... well, I'm depressed enough already without feeling bad for fictional characters who never catch a break.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#221789 10/13/09 01:21 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I went ahead and watched the last part of that episode and I'm thinking that I'll just pass on this one, as well. We canceled our cable, anyway, and just have OTA channels, now. There was just nothing good enough on cable to justify the monthly expense of cable, kwim?

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
#221790 10/13/09 06:01 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
My son has been sick for two weeks, so, out of sheer desperation, we pulled out my husband's Stargate 1 DVD collection. I think he's up to Season 8 now. And now that he's feeling better he was out planting imaginary C4 on the trees of the golf course this afternoon, dodging the maintentance vehicles and giving hand signals to his imaginary men while weilding his plastic 9mm gun. We've created a Jack O-Neill wanna be. Yikes! Good thing for me, he successfully took out all the snipers that were threating me and the toddler when we went out to play.

This *is* my happily ever after.
#221791 10/14/09 06:11 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL, Happygirl, that's awesome! Just make sure his eyes aren't glowing...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#221792 10/27/09 05:53 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I just got cable back and watched most of one ep. but it just doesn't feel like a SG to me the only parts I liked were with RDA.

The one good things about SG-SG1 and SGA was they had funny parts to them as well. SGU just doesn't seem like the others I don't want to watch something that makes me feel worse then when I started.

Love Is the One Thing That Never Ends.
#221793 10/28/09 02:04 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've been recording them, but still haven't worked up the energy to actually watch any of them, other than about half an hour of the pilot. I liked the scene with RDA and didn't loathe the rest of it, but can't say it grabbed me. But then, pilots rarely do. It usually takes until midway through a season before something happens to hook me or I give up completely. And even then I've been known to make mistakes. I gave up on Atlantis midway through S1 and only realised I was missing something really good last year and hastly caught up with the DVDs!

But somehow I don't think this is going to be one of those shows. Still...never say never.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#221794 11/13/09 02:40 AM
Blogger
Blogger
I saw it .. but I think that they had to stop these shows after SGA . :-( People will stop like these tv shows .. because they are so long on our TV screens -(

I will go on a date with Batman, but I want live with Superman.
#221795 11/15/09 06:23 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Haven't seen it. Remember hearing something about it coming, but never really heard anything after that.

Can someone tell me what the basic premise of the show is? Obviously, if RDA was there, it's part of the Stargate Universe. But what is the basic premise?

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#221796 11/16/09 01:14 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A group of Earth scientists are working on a base set up on an alien world. The world is attacked (not sure by who as I never got that far) and they escape through a stargate - only to find themselves trapped on an Ancient spaceship with no way back.

The group includes military, scientists and some civilians who were in the wrong place at the wrong time - a politician and his daughter who were visiting the base for example.

The batch of episodes to begin with seemed to all be about a problem of the week. They were running out of air, they were running out of water...

From Wiki:

Stargate Universe is set on the Ancient ship Destiny, which was launched from Earth, probably several million years ago.[1] Several ships were sent ahead of it to seed the universe with Stargates. The Ancients had planned on using the Stargate to board Destiny when it was far out enough into the universe, but learned how to ascend before that time. In order to reach this ship, an address would have to be dialed consisting of nine chevrons, a possibility that had been unknown in the previous Stargate series.[2]

The series begins when a team of soldiers and scientists from present-day Earth step through the Stargate to find the Destiny after their base is attacked.[3] Many of its primary systems are damaged or failing, and they are unable to return to Earth or even maneuver the ship. However, the Destiny periodically stops to dial the Stargate to planets with necessary supplies to repair the ship.[4][5] The writers have discussed the possibility that each season represents a voyage of the Destiny through a different galaxy.[6]

Stargate Universe is intended to appeal to both veteran fans and newcomers. It is planned to be firmly entrenched in established Stargate mythology without relying on it too often.[4][7] Although it is planned to still have the familiar Stargate themes of adventure and exploration,[4] the show will focus mostly on the people aboard the ship.[8] SGU is intended to be more serialized than its predecessors, but the writers attempt to resolve each character story within the episode.[4] There is a conscious effort to avoid making SGU too serialized, and the serialization should mainly stem from character development.[9] The industry describes the show with the buzzwords "dark and edgy".[4] According to Robert C. Cooper, the essence of the story is "that sort of fear and terror of a tragedy combined with the sense that there is hope for us in the basic ways in which human beings survive".[4] The planned increased levels of drama are intended to be balanced with humor to avoid pretentiousness. The differences between good and evil are planned to be less apparent, as the ship is populated with flawed and unprepared characters who were not supposed to go there.[4] According to Brad Wright, the show will "hopefully explor[e] the truly alien, and [avoid] the rubber faced English-speaking one". There will be aliens, but not a single dominant villain race like SG-1's Goa'uld and Atlantis' Wraith.[4]
LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#221797 11/16/09 04:30 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Stargate Universe is up to 20 episodes on SyFy:
http://www.tv.com/stargate-universe/show/76070/episode.html?tag=page_nav;episode
RDA was only on the pilot to help introduce the show. We found it very slow going and haven't seen it. To us, SG-1 was still the best.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#221798 11/16/09 04:40 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Actually, RDA's been in ... 2 other episodes? so far. I think he was confirmed for a totoal 4. There's a way for the people on the ship to communicate with Earth (established back in SG1), so occasionally they report back to O'Neill and Homeworld Security and the IOA. Amanda Tapping has also said she'll be in an episode towards the end of the season.

According to the people with the show, the first episodes were slow in order to establish characters and relationships and situations. This week's episode, Time, is the one where things are supposed to really start picking up.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#221799 11/16/09 05:50 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
To be honest, I haven't really given up on this one yet. I didn't go back to watch the rest of the pilot after watching the first 20 minutes, but that has more to do with the fact that I just haven't been in the mood lately, rather than the quality of the show. I've had a ton of DVD stuff to watch instead that's been keeping me busy.

I had a decision to make as the recorded episodes piled up, but still couldn't find the time to check them out, so I finally decided to just deleted them unwatched, record no more and buy S1 blind on DVD when it's released and watch the entire season back to back. Which suits me much better right now.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#221800 11/16/09 07:11 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I'm caught up all to Time and am still watching. The one thing I can say so far is, that it's not what I was used to seeing on SG1, or Atlantis. SGU certainly has more of a BSG feeling, with lot's of dark pictures, a dirty and thrown together crew, relationships (both personal and professional) that one might describe as "real" or a "real mess". And in that context, Time certainly was a classic SG-episode as far as story development inside the ep is concerned, but still with that "real"-ness poured all over it.

To put it in Stargate terms, it's a bit like Hadante or Ne'tu on steroids.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#221801 11/16/09 03:58 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Thanks for the info, Labby. It does sort of sound like Voyager. As for this...

Commenting on a complaint from a Mr Arthur Purdey about a large gas bill, a spokesman for North West gas said, "We agree it was rather high for the time of year. It's possible Mr Purdey has been charged for the gas used up during the explosion that blew his house to pieces." (Bangkok Post)
wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard