Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#221761 09/21/09 09:40 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
There's apparently a huge controversy about the White House talking to the NEA. I'm not that interested, so I just skimmed the article , but something kept driving me crazy. Quotes from the transcript:

“We’re going to come at you with some specific asks here.”

and then later...

“My ask would be to apply artistic, you know, your artistic creative community’s utilities and bring them to the table.”
The actual issue aside, it is appalling to me that people can be high up in government (these are "asks" that the White House people had for the NEA people) and not know basic English grammar! dizzy I'm not talking semi-colons here, just basic parts of speech.

Is there a universe somewhere where "some specific asks" makes sense? It's not even easy to say! Where's the emoticon for tearing your hair out? wallbash

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#221762 09/21/09 05:09 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Language is fluid. I just did a google search and came across a few pages where people used the word "ask" as a noun meaning request or question. Interestingly enough, in one it appeared that it was nonprofit fundraising jargon--something NEA people would definitely understand! I doubt that it's in Webster's yet, but give it a few more years.

And this will sound like a bit of a non sequitur, but I bought my daughter a French-English dictionary last year and I couldn't help laughing at the number of words that weren't in my French-English dictionary from thirty years ago, because they hadn't been invented yet.

#221763 09/21/09 05:20 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh, and on another page they were talking about having an "ask" for your Senator or Representative. So maybe it's Capitol Hill (Washington DC) jargon instead.

Every group has its own jargon. I've started selling used books on Amazon.com and reading their seller discussions to learn more about it. I get a kick out of their references comparing "the river" (Amazon) and "the bay" (Ebay).

And just try asking someone who is not into fanfic to define "canon" and "fanon."

#221764 09/21/09 05:57 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, thank you, Cookiesmom. I had certainly never come across this particular instance of creative grammar before.

Ann

#221765 09/22/09 01:52 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Well, jargon is a better explanation than rock stupidity, so... thanks for the explanation, cookiesmom.

It still irritates me, though. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#221766 09/22/09 05:01 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yeah, that's just what we need to add to the bunch, 'creative' grammar, along with creative spelling and math. wallbash

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard