Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#221588 08/30/09 01:49 PM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Has anybody rented one of those 12' Penske trucks for a cross-country move?

If so, how fast could you go with it (considering that it will not be completely full), and how much mileage could you get with it?

I'd appreciate any comments.

malu

#221589 08/31/09 06:50 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I've rented U-Haul trucks before, and I can tell you what I've learned about them.

1. Balance your load, especially if the truck isn't fully loaded. Use plenty of pads and tie down anything and everything that isn't already tied down. You do NOT want the load to shift while you're going around a curve.

2. Top speed for the trucks I've rented is around sixty-five, but you don't want to hit that except on the interstate. You need a lot of room to stop one.

3. If you're traveling the interstate, believe the mileage the rental place gives you. If you're going through a lot of small towns with stoplights and stop signs, cut it by at least fifteen percent.

4. The cab is usually pretty comfortable (for a truck), but plan on changing drivers every four hours or so if you can, because it's tiring to drive one of those things. If you have experience driving an RV, that would help.

5. If you're taking more than one vehicle (the rental truck and another car, for example), invest in a pair of CB radios you can plug into the cigarette lighter or a couple of inexpensive walkie-talkies which use CB frequencies. The driver of the vehicle in front will never hear the driver of the vehicle in back screaming "No, you idiot! The NEXT exit!" or "Find a rest stop! I have to go to the bathroom NOW!" On top of that, you can call on them for help or road conditions in places where a cell phone won't work.

6. Give yourself plenty of time to make the trip if you can. Don't set a schedule that's too ambitious or you'll end up driving beyond your endurance.

Best wishes on the move! I hope it's happening because of something good coming down the pike. Let us know how it goes.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#221590 08/31/09 09:00 AM
malu Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Actually, yeah, it's for a great reason. smile

I finished my Ph.D. this Summer and I get to start a job in Ohio in two weeks (I'm in Texas now). That's why I mentioned a "cross-country move". It's 1000 miles of traveling.

Pretty much mostly interstate from Texas to Ohio. I just asked about the speed to compare with what online directions tell about travel times and if we would be able to reach a certain place in a reasonable amount of time.

I actually will not have an extra car, just the truck (no trailer, either), so I won't have a problem with communication and extra loads.

If anybody else has any other comments/suggestions on truck/route/timing, it is greatly appreciated. wave

malu

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard