Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Yes, Iolan, the list is helpful. I, for one, think that pets are part of the family and their loss can cause every bit as much grief as a human relative.

I've thought about much of this and mom has already said that if the chemo makes her too sick that she may stop taking it. I haven't openly agreed with her, but she knows that we agree because we've had discussions about such things in the past. My cousin, who lived next door to us, died from cancer in January, and both mom and I agreed with her decision to stop chemo. (She didn't actually ask us, but we did talk about her decision.) But even with chemo she was given little hope of survival and the chemo was only to try to help decrease the pain. Mom's case is different.

The doctors have said that meds will help control nausea, but mom is not eating well, her skin is in bad condition and she is at risk for breakdown even though she can get up with a walker. She is allergic to morphine and codeine so pain control could be a problem. We thought until recently that she was probably also allergic to the synthetic morphine drugs, but she recently took a Lortab at the hospital and she wasn't allergic. That means that she can also take Oxycontin which is very helpful with cancer pain. She is leery about that and says she doesn't want to get addicted, but I've assured her that she shouldn't worry about that.

She hasn't had much of an appetite, but, interestingly enough, she has wanted peanut butter and crackers (those pre-made ones) and cashews and so she's been eating those. Both are good protein sources.

I'll let all of you know what we find out on Thursday.

Thanks, everyone, for your concern and especially your care.

Nancy

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I will be praying for your Mom and your family.
James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Oh, Classicalla, I'm so sorry to read about your Mom. My thoughts are with you and I hope that the two of you will find a way to get through this difficult times as good as you possibly can.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I, too, am so sorry to hear about your mom. I'm glad that she will at least be able to take Oxycontin. If she hasn't got much of an appetite, I think you should feed her all the peanut butter and crackers she will eat.

I think the most important thing, right now, is for you and your mom to enjoy your life together as much as you can, and for your mom to find and do as much as she can of what gives her pleasure.

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I am so sorry to hear about your mom.

I work in a pharmacy and as far as I know it is important that your mother doesn't lose weight. If she hasn't much appetite she can drink high-caloric solutions.

I don't know if there is something similar in America but I'll include links to two of the companies that produce those in Germany.

Nutricia

Fresenius Kabi

I hope this helps.

I keep you in my thoughts.

Kathryn
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I only saw this thread today, Nancy. I'm sorry about your mom. she'll be in my prayers.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I am not on the boards much lately, so I'm just hearing about your mom. I am so sorry and my prayers are with you. I know how frustrating it can be when no one will tell you anything. But be strong. She is fortunate to have you caring for her.

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thank you, everyone.

Mom is not doing very well. She has pneumonia, a urinary tract infection, herpes esophagitis, her skin is breaking down, and she isn't able to get out of bed. Her white blood count is only 0.3 which is EXTREMELY low. She seemed to be feeling a little better on Wednesday, but now the doctor told me that mom and I (mostly me) need to make a decision as to whether she would be "coded" should it come to that. I'm just devastated, and I feel like this is more than I can handle.

I appreciate all the prayers and good thoughts you guys are sending me.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm so sorry, Nancy; my thoughts and wishes with you during this time, and know that I'm thinking of you guys.

Hugs,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm so sorry, Nancy. I'm thinking of you and your Mom.

Ann

Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow. I've just seen this for the first time tonight. I'm sorry all this is happening. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm really sorry to hear all of this is happening to you, Nancy. I've lost two members of my immediate family to cancer (one of which was just this past May), so I completely understand how devestating and difficult what you're going through can be. I am keeping you in my thoughts!

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Mom is drastically worse. She is in so much pain that she is moaning a lot, and that's so unlike my mom. She never complains. I want her suffering to stop and that means that she goes to be with the Lord, then that's okay. No, I'm not really okay with that, but she is suffering so much, and I can't stand seeing her like this. She is now a "do not resuscitate". From a nurse's point of view, I do not know how much longer she can last like this.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm so sorry, Nancy.

(((((((Nancy)))))))

Ann

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I'm so sorry to read about this, Nancy. I lost my father just two months ago, and I know that you're devastated by this. I wish I could tell you that everything will be okay, but I can't do that. I can, however, point you to 1 Thessalonians 4 and ask you to read it and believe it.

Life is hard. Life contains pain. Everyone experiences it. Yet no two experiences are the same. I wish you blessings, Nancy, and the strength to trust Him through this. Wish I could comfort you more.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Mom is worse. I'm praying that she goes soon. My aunt sent me home because I had a headache, but now I'm going right back. She is still breathing but has practically no blood pressure.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
[Linked Image]

Ann

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
My mom is still hanging on. This waiting is awful.

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Mom finally passed at 11:25 pm on Sept 2nd. I'm sad, but at this point, it feels more like relief. Thank you, everyone, for your prayers and / or good thoughts.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard