Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hey, everybody,

My mom is having a biopsy in Monday to rule out lymphoma. The CAT scan suggests that she does indeed have the disease. At this time, we could use some thoughts and prayers sent our way.

Thanks, Nancy

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm so sorry to hear this! Your mom is in my thoughts and prayers. <<hugs>>

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
(((hugs))) to you and your mom, Classicalla. You'll be in my thoughts.

Carolyn smile

Pisco and Ceviche ->100% PERUVIAN. Never doubt that.
Kerth
Kerth
Let's just hope for the best, 'kay?

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Features Writer
Features Writer
Nancy, your family is in my thoughts. I hope your mom is doing okay and that you find strength in each other during this trying time.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Ann

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I'm wishing the best for your mother. ***hugs***

~AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'll keep you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Mom had her biopsy and that went well. They praised mom for being so "good" as she didn't yell or get agitated. I guess the procedure is supposed to be painful. The radiologist and pathologist say that it's a pretty sure bet that she has lymphoma. Now we are waiting to see exactly what kind of lymphoma that she has so we can see what kind of treatment she will need.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Oh, dear. I'm so sorry to read this. I was hoping for a far more positive result. At least you'll know what she's facing, and while that's not really a comfort to anyone, it's marginally better than not knowing at all.

My prayers and hopes go with both you and your mother, Nancy. May you both find peace through this trial.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Hope the treatment goes well, Nancy.

~AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'll keep you and your mom in my thoughts.

Kathryn

Kathryn
C
Features Writer
Features Writer
C
You and your Mum are in my thoughts, too, Nancy.

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I'm so very worried about my mama. We are still waiting for a firm diagnosis, but the doctor's office said it wasn't good. They wouldn't tell us anything over the phone. Don't they know what hell they put people through not knowing? We have to wait till Monday to find out what kind of lymphoma she has. She can barely stand by herself and she started using her walker at my insistence after at least three falls this week.

She may have fallen more than that and just hasn't told me. I'm very angry at the doctors because I feel they have taken precious treatment time away from us because they can't seem to get their act together. It's been a month (since the CAT scan)!! I'd like to ask my friends to continue to pray for both of us and / or send good wishes our way. And pray for me to have the strength to deal with whatever happens.

I'm an only child and so most of the burden - not a good word: how about joy? - of taking care of my mom is mine. People from church can help, too, but there is just some things mom won't let someone else help her with. I love her so much and we are so close. I feel like I'm just dying inside. I have had so many things happen to me in the last two years that I question how much one person can take.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm so sorry to hear that, Nancy. I'll be thinking of you and your Mom.

Please keep us posted.

Ann

Merriwether
Merriwether
My thoughts are with you. I'm sending you hugs from up North.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Classicalla,

My thoughts are with you and your mom. I like to think that we are given to carry the cross be are able to carry, even if we it seems to be bigger sometimes.

I'm praying that as soon as the doctor know exactly what kind of lymphoma affects your mom, they'll give her the specific treatment for it and you'll get through this.

Carolyn

Pisco and Ceviche ->100% PERUVIAN. Never doubt that.
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, everybody and please continue to keep us in your thoughts and / or prayers.

We found out today that mom has anaplastic large cell lymphoma. We go to the oncologist on Thursday to find out about treatment.

Mom had a really bad day. She fell in the doctor's office and I had to get a neighbor to help me get her in the house.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Nancy, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. She is very lucky to have a daughter like you taking care of her. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Dear Classicalla: I am sorry to hear of your mother's illness and your own travails.

This is somewhat related. I recently lost an elderly pet and I was in a quandary about "when is it time?" The veterinarian gave me a checklist from the "Pawspice" movement (veterinary hospice) about quality of life issues. In the veterinary world, this checklist is meant for making the euthanasia decision, but that's obviously ludicrous in a human situation.

What I found interesting, however, was the checklist itself. I think it is valid for humans as well as animals. I will try to cut-and-paste it here. If the cut-and-paste doesn't go well then here is the link.

Quality of Life Scale
Quality of Life Scale: The HHHHHMM Scale

Pet caregivers can use this Quality of Life Scale to determine
the success of pawspice care. Score patients using a scale of 1 to 10.

Score

Criterion

1-10

HURT - Adequate pain control, including breathing ability, is first and foremost on the scale. Is the pet's pain successfully managed? Is oxygen necessary?

1-10

HUNGER - Is the pet eating enough? Does hand feeding help? Does the patient require a feeding tube?

1-10

HYDRATION - Is the patient dehydrated? For patients not drinking enough, use subcutaneous fluids once or twice daily to supplement fluid intake.

1-10

HYGIENE - The patient should be brushed and cleaned, particularly after elimination. Avoid pressure scores and keep all wounds clean.

1-10

HAPPINESS - Does the pet express joy and interest? Is the pet responsive to things around him or her (family, toys, etc.)? Is the pet depressed, lonely, anxious, bored or afraid? Can the pet's bed be close to the family activities and not be isolated?

1-10

MOBILITY - Can the patient get up without assistance? Does the pet need human or mechanical help (e.g., a cart)? Does the pet feel like going for a walk? Is the pet having seizures or stumbling? (Some caregivers feel euthanasia is preferable to amputation, yet an animal who has limited mobility but is still alert and responsive can have a good quality of life as long as caregivers are committed to helping the pet.)

1-10

MORE GOOD DAYS THAN BAD - When bad days outnumber good days, quality of life might be compromised. When a healthy human-animal bond is no longer possible, the caregiver must be made aware the end is near. The decision needs to be made if the pet is suffering. If death comes peacefully and painlessly, that is okay.

*TOTAL

*A total over 35 points represents acceptable life quality.

I bring this up because I think, so often, the doctors focus strictly upon the treatment, what chemo they will use, etc. But I urge you not to let the medical staff forget about the quality of life issues. And I'm hoping this list might be helpful to you. Sometimes there are so many things to think about, it's helpful to have a checklist.

For example, you mentioned that your mother had fallen. Can you alert the medical staff to that risk, and get a care plan that will include anti-falling measures?

Will they set up a nutrition plan for your mom? Does she have pain? Do they have a pain control program? If she has to have chemo, can they control the unpleasant side effects?

I don't mean to be insulting, or anything, or make light of your problems. I've known several people undergoing cancer treatment and it's so easy to fall in the cracks, or to have what the medics feel is appropriate treatment but the patient herself has issues that really interfere with quality of life.

And so often, it seems that the patient advocate has to really demand things, to make sure that the patient is well taken care of. It seems that, by default if nothing else, you are the patient care advocate. It's a heavy burden. I hope this list helps. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard