Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#221235 06/12/09 09:17 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Does anyone have any good stories about telling off your boss and not getting fired? What do you do to stand up for yourself at work? I have been fantasizing about things I'd like to say to my supervisor and I'd like to hear what other people have done.

I am almost ready to quit my job but I need the pittance I am paid, plus I like the work and everyone tells me I am lucky just to have a job right now. Yesterday was one more straw on the camel's back. I found out by accident that a friend/coworker, who had been ordered at the last minute to rearrange her schedule and work this Friday evening, had complained (with justification), and my boss had told her she could come in at the hour we open to the public. I am the other person who works Friday evenings. We sell food on Fridays and both workers usually come in at least an hour early to set up. I was happy for my friend but concerned that some of the setup would not get completed on time, so I called my boss to find out how much earlier than usual I would need to come in to make sure it got done. She apparently interpreted my question as a complaint and first started lecturing me about how I had to work my scheduled hours (when she knows darn well that I always do, plus I often work unpaid hours to make sure things get completed!), and then she lectured me about being too slow to set up and how it shouldn't take any time at all, and then she told me to come in an hour earlier than usual to set up but to finish my cleanup work an hour earlier than I usually do. (I am slower to clean up and close the facility than my boss thinks I should be because I am often still listening to customers' comments or answering their questions when it is time to clean up. Also, it is physical work and I do my share but I am 20 years older than my boss and I do not move as quickly as she does when I am moving tables and chairs.)

This is not the only thing she does that drives me and the other employees crazy. When I came to work here almost 3 years ago, I was hired because her entire staff had just quit. I think one of the other workers is job hunting, and the third member of the weekday staff has already given notice to go back to school. Our supervisor does a lousy job of communicating (notice I learned of the schedule change by accident), she often treats us like five-year-olds, and she can't understand why doing the work correctly takes us as long as it does, possibly because she's always busy in offsite meetings and is never here. (Our ongoing joke concerns improvements we'd like to make in our "copious free time." We have the authority to make improvements, but we NEVER have free time.)

Well, you can tell I needed to sound off, but I also would really like to hear other stories too. How about it, please?

#221236 06/12/09 09:47 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
No words of wisdom but...

{{{HUGS}}}

So glad I'm not working fast food anymore... [or any other food for that matter...]
Carol

#221237 06/14/09 09:41 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
plus I often work unpaid hours to make sure things get completed!
If your boss is expecting you to work these free hours, it is quite illegal.

Also, if she has had her whole staff quit before, it sounds like she isn't much of a boss, but evidently her bosses don't get it or realize it yet. I had a boss that everyone but her bosses knew was an idiot. It took them longer to figure it out than the folks under her but not before she had run off a ton of employees - some who had been there 15 years.

I don't have much advice but to say try to hang in there. If you want to look for another job, do so, but in this environment, don't quit your present job till you have a new one. Plus there is also the sad reality that older workers are discriminated against, but that is very hard to prove. That also makes it harder to find a job.

{{Hugs}}

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#221238 06/22/09 07:01 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sounds like something out of "Dilbert". Maybe you could nominate your boss into the "Worst Bosses" competition?

Wouldn't do anything about your abysmal situation, but might make you feel better.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard