Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Does anyone have a Kindle? If so, how do you like it? Comments?

I am considering buying one, but they are rather expensive, so I'd like to know what those who have one think, if they recommend it.

Other than for buying and reading books, what other uses does it have?

Can you use it to store and read fanfic stories?

Thanks!

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Top Banana
Top Banana
I don't have one myself, but I got to examine/hold one when my boss bought it. They're great--you can read books and periodicals on them, and yes, you can put fanfic on them with a bit of technical finagling, from what I've read about them.

The only reason I haven't got one yet is that the cost is so prohibitive--if I'm going to pay $400 for a Kindle, plus $10 for each book I buy to put on it, I want to at least get credit for 15 free books from the get-go.

Although, I suppose I could just get a lot of older books from Project Gutenberg and do the finagling necessary to put them on the Kindle, but I'd still have to buy any newer books I wanted to put on there.

Ah well. I remember reading somewhere that they've come out with the Kindle II, which (hopefully) means that the cost of the original will be coming down soon.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Pam has one - I'm sure she'll be on here to say something about it at some point...

She's put fic on it and says the funny thing is when it calls a 747 a 'seven hundred and forty seven' and once called Ms. Lane 'Millisecond Lane' wink when it was reading to her!

Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yep, I got one less than a month ago for my birthday (from my in-laws; if my husband had spent that much money I'd have yelled at him) and I'm really liking it. I've bought a few books on Amazon, for half-off the hardback cover price (my favorite author had a new release, but I ain't paying for a hard cover), and within a few minutes I was settling down to read it. No driving to a store, no waiting for shipments to arrive... that part's cool. You can resize the text easily and there are buttons on both sides to advance a page.

I'm also using it for fanfic, like Carol said. If you have the file as either a .txt or .doc file, all you have to do is email it to an address (yournamehere@kindle.com) they set up for you. I email the file, wait a few minutes, then bam, there it is on my Kindle. (They charge a grand total of 10 cents for this service) It has saved my sanity, these last two weeks, because they've given me something excruciatingly boring to do, but my Kindle reads the story to me <g> Yesterday I listened to Four Days to Nightfall, and right now I'm about halfway through Teamwork (the sequel).

Like Carol said, it pronounces things weird. It does a pretty good job, really, but it's nothing like a real audiobook. Words it doesn't recognize get pronounced with a short vowel sound (it keeps talking about Lex Luffer). "Dr. Klein" was occasionally referred to as "Drive Klein" In the sci-fi stories I uploaded, there are "spass-e-ports" and "eckars" (for spaceports and aircars) but once you get used to it, it's not hard to understand. Just like listening to someone with a foreign accent.

The thing that really annoyed me was the way it handled emphasized words -- you know how we use *stars* around a word to indicate emphasis. Well, Kindle reads that as "asterisk-s-t-a-r-s-asterisk" which just sounds weird. smile But I've starting taking all those out of the files I want to upload, so it's not a problem on my newer uploads.

My husband's got a Sony reader, and that seems to suit him just fine but he's got more techie weirdness to deal with, especially when uploading files.

I haven't figured out everything yet -- you can subscribe to magazines or newspapers, I think, and maybe even certain blogs. You can web-surf to some limited extent, apparently, but I haven't tried that yet. It's fairly easy to navigate through the Kindle store to get more books, but I find it easier to go to Amazon.com on my real computer, and shop for Kindle versions from there. Some of them are way cheap -- we got a short story collection from H. Beam Piper for 80 cents. So if you like old, obscure authors, you could score big.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
I didn't know Kindle had audio capability. I thought it was just text.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
They call it "text to speech." You can pick a male or female voice, and adjust the rate it speaks at. They're also experimenting with letting you play mp3 files, but I haven't messed with that yet. I'd like to try getting podcasts that way.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
BTW, part of the reason the Kindle is so expensive is because you are getting free 3G wireless capacity with it. No looking for hot spots. It's the same capacity that you pay at least $35/mo for on your cell phone. So in 10 months or less, the Kindle has paid for itself in terms of buying something cheaper and having to pay for the 3G wireless connection.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have both a Kindle 1 and a Kindle 2 and I have to say the second version is definitely superior to the first. The most annoying part of the first one was that it would accidentally page flip when I didn't want it to. Amazon changed the buttons so that they require inward pressure rather than outward, so accidental page flipping is pretty much in the past.

The only drawback that version 2 has is that version 1 supported a removable battery and SD cards. Version 2's battery is not user-replaceable and no SD card is possible, though they upped the available flash for storage. Better book management and archiving help around the SD card limitation. More on that later.

As Pam said, you can put your own content onto the Kindle. If you have a computer (and you probably do if you're reading this) you can plug the Kindle into a USB port and copy .azw files onto the Kindle (or off if you want to make a personal backup). There's a free email address: <username>@free.kindle.com that is equivalent to the version that costs 10 cents per document. Instead of downloading directly to your Kindle, though, it sends you back an email when it's done with a link for you to download the resulting .azw file.

Copy that file onto the Kindle and read away. The advantage of that approach is that you can keep a backup of your personal books on your own computer whereas Amazon only backs up your paid books.

PDF support is experimental and can occasionally give you a bad copy. I had one book that had sections in the wrong order. I'd read one paragraph only to have it interrupted by the wrong text, only to pick up later several pages afterwards. I'd then have to flip back to find where that paragraph left off.

I haven't tried HTML support yet, but plain text seems to work fine.

They've improved on the content handling in that you can easily delete your books when you're done and then bring them back just by going to the Archive selection on the Kindle. Before, I always kept all of my books on the Kindle, but sorting through multiple pages can be a pain. Now I can keep only the books I'm currently reading. As long as I have access to the Sprint network, I can retrieve an archived book at any time.

As for reading, I prefer reading off the Kindle to a real book now. It's just more convenient and less bulky. The first Kindle was a bit awkward. As a bit of advice, keep the 3G wireless switch turned off so that the Kindle can last a couple of weeks on a single charge. Leaving it on all the time gives you only about four days or so of charge.

I haven't tested it yet, but I'm told that the wireless will wake up on occasion even if the switch is off to sync up the latest book annotations and page location to Amazon servers so that if you read your book elsewhere, such as on the Kindle app for iPhone/iPod touch, you'll be able to pick up where you left off. This is the Whispersync capability. I've had a few problems with books I'd already read once where the sync seems to take you to the end of the book rather than where you left off.

The Kindle app is free on iPhone but doesn't support periodicals, newspapers, or your own documents. Nor does it support text-to-speech. Perhaps version 2 will especially with Amazon buying out the people who wrote the other major eBook application, Stanza. You don't have to own a Kindle to use the iPhone app.

Kindle book prices seem pretty good, mostly cheaper than if I were to buy a real book. A best seller hard back would go for $25 at the bookstore while I could get a Kindle version for $9 or $10. Most books are even cheaper.

P.S. I should make a disclaimer to say that I work for the company that essentially did all the Whispernet work and supplied the 3G chipset and I even work for the division that did it, but I had no personal involvement in the project.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm planning to get one now that our tax refund has arrived, so I tried out the one at the high school library, which is a Kindle 2. This probably won't apply to most of you, but now that I'm having to use progressive lenses, I really appreciate the ability to change font size in an instant, which is a definite advantage over print books. The text itself is as clean and legible as print, not like on a computer screen. I also love the ability to annotate books that I'm reading, and I believe I can insert bookmarks that will let me go straight to a page of interest, even after I've finished the book.

The only thing I didn't like as well was the grayish background. I guess I read too many computer printouts, and I'm used to a higher contrast between print and background.

I told my husband I was getting it to take on our travel trailer, where I don't have a lot of room for books. Instead, in the space of a slimline dayplanner, I can hold the equivalent of my entire library (eventually wink ).

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Kerth
Kerth
There are problems with the Kindle outside the USA - currently Whispernet only works with one carrier in the USA, for example.

I've been looking at alternatives - tried a couple of small tablet PCs but while they were both pretty good as etext readers, they were both too heavy and bulky to carry around casually. Ditto all of the netbooks I've seen. So what I've ended up going back to is my elderly HP Jornada pocket PC, which has quite a nice letterbox screen, a 2/3rds size keyboard, and a 2gb flash card. No comms (you can use a WiFi card but it doesn't work very well) but it'll run Mobibook reader and some other eBook formats, so I can just download what I want and put it onto the flash card, read it at my leisure. Not as nice a screen format as the Kindle, but it works.

Hopefully something more like a cross between an ebook reader and a netbook will be coming along soon - something pocket sized, e.g. about the size of a DVD case, but hopefully including a keyboard and say Linux plus Open Office and some other programs, would suit me VERY nicely. There are some encouraging things around, such as low energy electronic "ink" screens, flexible plastic screens, etc., but nobody seems to have quite got round to putting everything together to make a really good pocket PC for the modern user.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I've been reading all these wonderful comments praising the Kindle and I have only one thing to say: I bet a Kindle doesn't smell like a book.

ML wave (who thinks she has now proven conclusively which is superior laugh )

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What puzzles me is why e-books cost so much when they are nothing but a bunch of text being transferred from a website to a hand-held device. An average price of between £10 and £26 seems awfully steep for what you're getting. Surely the production costs can't be that high?

Me, I'm with ML. I can't get over the fact that if I'm going to spend that amount of money on a book I want something that LOOKS as though I spent that amount of money on it. laugh Something solid and tangible.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's not about production costs, though, is it? If it were, music CDs would cost less than £1.50 goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Kerth
Kerth
There's something very strange about Amazon's pricing - by comparison, I publish role playing games on PDF; I earn more selling a PDF for $4.99 than I would if it I was selling the same game as a book for say $25. Charging nearly as much as for the paper version makes no sense.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Right now, I think Kindle is just about the only kid on the block, so they are pretty much charging the highest price the market will bear. grumble

For me, though, it might be worth it. Where I live there are no public libraries. frown The price of books (not to mention shipping costs and taxes!) is getting prohibitive. $9 for a new release sounds pretty good in comparison. Plus there are apparently many free or nearly free books available. On ebay there are CDs for sale for under $10 with entire libraries of up to 1,000 books or more.

Thanks for the responses. I do think I might bite the bullet and pay the $400 or whatever it is to buy a Kindle.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ML, you are correct. It does not smell like a book. Mine has a leather cover (which apparently they're making a killing on) so it does smell of leather. And it's a different shape and texture in the hands than books.

On the other hand, it's a lot less awkward than fanfic print-outs. And most books don't read themselves to me smile

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It's not about production costs, though, is it? If it were, music CDs would cost less than £1.50
Which is exactly my point, Wendy. And DVDs. We're being ripped off with all of them. There's no way that production costs and a reasonable profit margin add up to what we get fleeced for.

But e-books in particular seem to me to be a bit of a rip-off, as there's really no 'physical' entity there that could justify charging upwards of £10.

The price of books (not to mention shipping costs and taxes!) is getting prohibitive. $9 for a new release sounds pretty good in comparison.
This surprises me. I've always thought we were living in an era of cheap books. I can get most of the paperbacks I'm looking for new on Amazon from an average price of £5-£7 and you can get cheaper still if you go second-hand - average price around £3 (including P&P).

Amazon is increasingly introducing free P&P for books even as low as £5, so if you don't mind waiting a few days longer for delivery it seems pretty cheap to me.

I tend not to buy many hardbacks, but the average new price on Amazon is about level with an e-book at £9 or so. Again, second-hand much cheaper. I've ordered second-hand from Amazon sellers at that £3 all inclusive price and had a hardback delivered, now and then, when I was expecting a paperback.

These days I tend to get most of my books at charity shops, so my average price paid is about 50p. Which is definitely a good deal. <G> But I increasingly go for the second-hand option on Amazon, too, because I've never really been let down and most of my purchases look brand new anyway.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
If cost of production were the only concern, software would be practically free, especially for downloads as the marginal cost is almost zero.

What you're paying for is intellectual property, the time the author spent writing the book, and the incentive for people to produce things you're willing to buy. If books were free, authors wouldn't write very much and nobody would have anything new to read.

As someone who writes software for a living, I can easily understand. No one would fund a project if there wasn't any money in it. No publisher would advance any money to an author for a title that would sell for next to nothing. So part of the cost of a book (or software) is the money it took to produce it in the first place, i.e the advance (or R&D monies).

Considering the effort that goes into writing a book, I don't begrudge an author his/her $10 for a new offering or the $6 for a paperback, even if it is electronic. I consider it a bargain.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Considering the effort that goes into writing a book, I don't begrudge an author his/her $10 for a new offering or the $6 for a paperback, even if it is electronic. I consider it a bargain.
I agree. But from what I've heard the author only gets about ten cents from the sale of a book. The rest goes to agents and publishers, etc. (At least, that's my impression)

I can't imagine anyone putting that much effort into writing a story with so little compensation. I certainly wouldn't. Nope, not me. I'd never sell my tallents for so little. I'd insist on email feeback instead laugh .

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I don't begrudge the producers or the author a reasonable profit. Nor did I suggest at any point in my previous posts that books should be given away free. That would be quite ridiculous.

No one would fund a project if there wasn't any money in it. No publisher would advance any money to an author for a title that would sell for next to nothing. So part of the cost of a book (or software) is the money it took to produce it in the first place, i.e the advance (or R&D monies).
Of course not. That goes without saying. But don't forget that with most e-books the author and publisher has already gotten a very nice reward with the publication of the hardback and paperback, which offsets the production costs. And then some.

It seems just a little greedy to expect the same return yet again when the book is released as an e-book. Especially considering that there's very little product for the money.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard