Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I found this fun.

I've read that linguists can actually listen to a person talk and pinpoint them down to within a 10-mile radius of their hometown. Of course, to do that requires evaluating many more words than on this simple quiz.

Take the quiz here .

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Oh, I forgot to give my results: Midland, "which is just another way of saying, 'you don't have an accent'." How boring. Supposedly, this means I have a good voice for television or radio.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Kerth
Kerth
Well, it's good to know I have an accent, and a northeastern one at that. smile

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Apparently, I have a Boston accent. smile

Although, I've only lived in the US for 6 years and that too in Texas and Washington, hmmm. But I've been to Boston. goofy

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Top Banana
Top Banana
Mine would be Northeastern too if it were from the US - Philadelphia predominantly. I wonder if that might apply to the majority of us who aren't from north America?
On a more bizarre note, someone I met a year or so ago said she actually thought I had a bit of an American accent... I was slightly flabbergasted! goofy

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Apparently, my accent is Philidelphia. goofy

I rather suspect it isn't, but you never know. I'm not quite sure what a Philidelphia accent sounds like, so it could sound like broad Scottish for all I know. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
Apparently, my accent is strongly 'Inland North'. shock

The area I sound least like is 'North Central' which leaves me totally confused.

Would someone like to enlighten me how Inland North is different to North Central ... and why their accents are so different?

Thanks. smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
Female Hawk, this wikipedia article might shed some light.

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I have a "Midland" accent.I guess that comes from my background, which isn't near anything they suggest. My father was from Illinois, my mother from California. Coming from a military family, I learned to talk originally in North Carolina, which accounts, I guess, for the graph showing the South heavily present in my speech, but I completed learning to talk in Trinidad where they speak English at warp speed. I've lived in Indiana, Brooklyn, NY, North Carolina, California, and the Panama Canal Zone, among speakers from every part of the country. I guess that explains a lot.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Kerth
Kerth
I came out as "Midland", too. Like Nan, I grew up all over the place (although my graph shows heavily on "the West" and "Inland North", which seems about right). Accents fascinate me and, given the chance to do it all over again, I might have gone into linguistics. Then again, I just love words, so maybe that's an outflow of how many different ways there are to say a word.

In another thread, Jenn (EditorJax) had mentioned that there are those who pronounce "Washington" with an "r" in it (Warshington). My paternal grandmother would have been one of them, she frequently had hard "r's" in her words. She grew up in rural southeast Idaho and she did her "warshing", ate (et) "carn" on the cob and was always careful not to step in cow "manar". Curiously, while two of my uncles did have that accent, my father never has (at least, not while I've known him).

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I'm also Midland. Like Nan, I was raised in a military family. I started talking in Kansas, went to elementary school (1st thru 8th grade) in central Ohio, and went to high school and college in Louisiana. I have worked on the air for radio stations and I was often asked to either double as the narrator in church choir programs or just narrate.

When I left Louisiana to move to Texas (dadgummit, there's another influence, y'all), I left that radio station, and when I went back over a year later, the station had changed management and format, but they were still using some of my station IDs. I thought about calling them and asking for some money, but I never did. I doubt they had any. It was a 1000-watt AM station in Shreveport, so they were broke all the time.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Interesting!
When I was living in San Diego, people kept asking me where from the East Coast I was from. In New England most people could tellI had a European (German) accent.
Now they tell me:

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Weird! But then again it's been a year since I was in the US last. Maybe the Irish, Scottish, and English people corrupted me in the meantime. smile

Natascha

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I got midland as well... Which is weird cause I get told all of the time that I do have a Jersey accent. However, since I have lived in New Jersey my whole life, the only people that tell me that are those that don't live there.

Being grown-up isn't half as fun as growing up, these are the best days of our lives, the only thing that matters is just following your heart and eventually you'll finally get it right! ~Ataris
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
<sigh> I have no accent. Oh well, I kind of already knew that.

Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

I was born in SoCal and have lived all of my life here in California. Not always in Southern California, but always California.

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
Merriwether
Merriwether
I had to go digging from when I took this test a few years ago, but I have a Midland accent, which makes sense since that's where I grew up. I spent 7 years of my early life in Southern Illinois, then spent the next 7 in Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania trying to lose the southern accent that I had in IL. It still sneaks in from time to time, especially now that I've been living in NC for 10 years.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hmmm . . . I came out as Inland North, which is kind of strange, because I live in Maryland, which I'm pretty sure is technically South.

I don't get any questions like, "Are you from Chicago?" though.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Midland here.

Born in MO, 4.5 years in CO, 12 years in Phoenix and now almost 16 years in SW MO...

Sounds about right I guess...
Carol

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I came out Inland North, too - almost equal amounts, on the graph, of The Midland, The Northeast , and Philadelphia - and a strong presence of The South.

I guess that kinda makes sense. I was born and raised in northern Indiana, near Chicago. Both my parents grew up in Chicago. As a young adult, I lived for a number of years around Washington, D.C. - in both Virginia and Maryland, and then moved to my current central Indiana location. Many people in central Indiana, to my ears, have a very pronounced southern accent. And my parents retired to northern Michigan (Traverse City) about 14 years ago. We spend a lot of vacation time up there with them.

'Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
For some reason the quiz said I had 'the Minnesota accent'. Go figure.

Tank (who doesn't care what hollywood says, few of us talk like they did in the movie Fargo)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I got 'the midland' on mine. Funny, because I was born and raised in Texas and have lived in South Carolina for the past 11 years. I do have an extensive theatre background, so I was trained to not have an accent...maybe that has something to do with it? I still get asked 'you're not from around here, are you?' all the time. huh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard