Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I saw two interesting articles about the creation and character of Superman in today's USA Today.

You probably all know that Superman was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. (I mean, Shuster's field and all that, and Clark Jerome Kent....)

I'm sure you also know the myth about Batman, how little Bruce Wayne saw his parents being shot to death in a robbery, and because of that he grew up to become Batman, the vigilante and avenger. Well, it now turns out that there might be a smidgeon of truth in this story, only the father being shot or at least killed during a robbery was not Thomas Wayne but Mitchell Siegel, father of Jerry Siegel! And Jerry Siegel did not grow up to become Batman, but he did grow up to create Superman, the greatest comic book hero in the world!

Did a fatal robbery create Superman?

Superman soon became a roaring success, but Siegel and Shuster did not do so well themselves. By the 1950s, Shuster had to support himself by drawing lurid erotic comic book stories. Sometimes the characters he drew in these erotic comics looked just like Lois and Clark!

\'Superman\' artist Joe Shuster\'s lurid comic world exposed

Wow, take a look at those 'Lois and Clark'! But, you know, somehow it seems somehow appropriate. There has been so much tension and anger between these two, that you can imagine Shuster fantasizing about them releasing their anger this way.

Well, I thought it was interesting, although I definitely don't need more than the peek at Shuster's erotic art that was provided by USA Today!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You know, TOC, I saw this too and it was disturbing in a way. But then my nfic-reading prurient interest kicked in and now I want to read the book!

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard