Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#220643 04/06/09 04:20 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
President Obama has admitted that he doesn't. Speak Austrian, that is. Which is perfectly understandable considering it isn\'t even a real language . :rolleyes:

Can you imagine the reaction if Bush had said this?? eek

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#220644 04/06/09 07:11 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
rotflol

Oh dear. Politicians without a teleprompter. And here I thought the next four years would be a little more boring. :p

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#220645 04/06/09 07:36 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, technically Austria has its own regional dialects, even if they're not called Austrian. goofy

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#220646 04/06/09 08:57 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Doesn't that language only contain the words "I'll be back"?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#220647 04/07/09 03:01 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Don't forget "Hasta la vista, baby"

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#220648 04/08/09 04:54 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
My personal favorite take on this was from Best of the Web, which suggested that the reference to "Austrian" was a subtle reference to the US's role in WWII, because, after all, if the US hadn't gotten involved, the Austrians today would almost certainly be speaking German. goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#220649 05/05/09 04:32 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ROFLOL!!! Austrian, indeed. Do you reckon Pres. Obama can speak Australian?

Oh, and did y'all know that the US now has 57 states (according to Pres. Obama)?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#220650 05/06/09 03:05 AM
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Two things strike me about this presidential gaffe. First, if George Bush had said this, the US media would have pilloried him. Barack Obama says it and it's an embarrassed grin and on to the sports.

The second thing is that anyone - and I mean anyone - who speaks publicly will eventually say something totally inane or even stupid, irrespective of his or her intelligence or achievement or position. It's just part of being human, and I don't think we should whack the President too hard over this stuff. I don't think we should ignore it, either, but knowing how to spell "potato(e)" won't make one iota of difference during wartime or serious economic troubles.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#220651 05/06/09 03:30 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Excellent points, Terry, both of them.

But then again, it's been frustrating watching Bush (or Palin, or other conservatives) get pounced on and derided over awkward phrasing or slips of the tongue, so now it's kind of a "sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander" kind of thing. Slate had "Bushisms of the Day" for years; Hot Air is now doing "Obamateurisms of the Day." Fair's fair.

Btw, for those who haven't heard, President Obama hopes you had a good "Cinco de cuatro" wink Never heard of it? Neither has anyone else...

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#220652 05/06/09 10:02 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I can see Pres. Obama having a slip of the tongue when he said he'd been to 57 states, but the one about speaking "Austrian" is a little more serious. This man should know enough about the world to know what languages most countries speak. I think this is especially true of Austria because it played such an important role in "The Great War" later renamed WWI when the next big war was dubbed WWII (World War II). It also played a big role in WWII. I'd think that a US citizen should know enough about these wars to know that Austrians speak German. Then there is also the fact that much of the US was settled by European immigrants. That's another reason that Pres. Obama should at the very least be familiar with the languages of western Europe.

But then maybe I only know that Austrians speak German because I've been there... Nah, I don't really think so. I also know that those Brazilians speak Spanish.

x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x

And that was a joke for those of you who didn't get it. Brazilians speak Portuguese.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#220653 05/07/09 02:31 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've never been to Austria, but I have seen The Sound of Music, so I knew that Austrians speak German.

I also knew that Brazilians speak Portuguese, and I've never been there either.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard