Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#220519 04/05/09 03:43 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Andreia!!!!

*dances*

I'm so happy for you! Yay! You will make a wonderful mommy!!!

From one expecting mommy to another (yep, me too - due date is Sept 20th) be glad you are not having nausea... it's the pits. I'm in my 2nd trimester and everyone swore the nausea would get better but unfortunately, mine's gotten worse. It's no picnic, let me tell ya. I was bound and determined not to take any meds, but I finally broke down and started taking Dramamine (only when absolutely necessary)

*hugs Andreia*

How fun!!! We can be new (over 30's) mommies together. smile I'm so happy for you!!! dance

-- DJ

P.S. - Are you going to find out what it is? smile I am. I have my ultrasound on Apr 29th. If you do find out, you'll have to let me know.

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#220520 04/05/09 04:59 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
For nausea, keep crackers by your bedside and eat two or three *before* you get up in the morning. The nausea is caused by your uterus swelling with the baby and pushing on your stomach. That and your hormones running rampant.
I love to knit and crochet and found out that close work like that made me sea sick toward the end of pregnancy. So just do what makes you comfortable.
And have fun! They grow up quickly.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#220521 04/05/09 05:04 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Unfortunately for me, my nausea isn't in the morning (I actually feel the best then.) It sets in mid-afternoon and lasts until bedtime... And all the crackers, peppermints, and ginger in the world don't seem to help. I've only finally gotten relief from a once-a-day Dramamine. Doc told me I could take it as often as every 4 hours but I try to only take it once a day (twice if absolutely necessary) hate the thought of having to take meds frown But I was getting to the point that I couldn't function. Ugh.

So, if you still aren't nauseas, Andreia, thank the heavens above. smile

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#220522 04/05/09 08:54 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I can sympathize DJ. Mine never got quite that bad but it was pretty miserable and lasted off and on the whole time.

Nancy/Anonpip has had a really rough time of it [she's announced it over on the fic side of things] but she's had the all day sickness to the nth degree.

What's that now? Six? DH is still determined we're not going to make it seven... wink

I'm trying to remember what helped me, but I think I'm going to have to go with 'nothing' though I was never *debilitated* by it - not really - so... Peppermints occasionally.

Carol

#220523 04/05/09 08:55 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
From a dad who's all done having children (his wife is done, too), congratulations to all the expectant mommies in FOLCdom! I do not, of course, know from personal experience what you might be experiencing, but I've seen my wife go through some of it, and I can tell you that it's no picnic watching the woman you love ache or hurt or get sick and know two things: there's not a blessed thing you can do to help her, and it's largely your fault she's going through all this stuff.

I hope all the deliveries are smooth and swift. And I hope that your little bundles of joy thrive and give you all the love you can handle.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#220524 04/05/09 10:37 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Aww, Terry, you got me and my raging hormones all teary.

I know of a seventh, but I don't know if she has announced it on the boards. I'll send her right over.

Yow, what's in the water over here?!?!

So, from what I can tell, in order, it's:

Me: June (and trying to ignore that she's first)
Lisa: June
Nancy: Summer
DJ: September
Tara: Fall
Andreia: November

Oh, and for what it's worth: The nausea starts coming back in the third trimester. I'm just overjoyed.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
#220525 04/05/09 03:34 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Congratulations to all of the new mothers!

Regarding sleep - with or without the baby. Here's what we did.

The baby slept close, but not in our bed. When the baby woke, I would nudge my husband, he'd go and get the baby and bring it back to me to feed. He'd go back to sleep.

While feeding the baby, I'd mostly sleep too.

When the baby was finished, I'd nudge my husband again and he'd take the baby back. Usually I'd be asleep again before he was back in bed.

Unless the baby was particularly unsettled, the baby got fed and neither my husband nor I missed out on too much sleep.

#220526 04/05/09 03:54 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
mecry That's so sweet, Terry, thank you! smile

My edd is October 25, so it's:

EditorJax: June (and trying to ignore that she's first) (#1)
Lisa: June
Nancy: Summer
DJ: September (#1?)
Tara: October 25ish (#3)
Andreia: November (#1)

How many of us are first timers? This is #3 for me.

Oh, I almost forgot, one thing that a lot of women in my expecting club on iVillage swore by when I was pregnant with my daughter was something called seabands. I guess they use pressure points to relieve motion sickness or morning sickness. I could never find any, but I'm told they're easier to find, now. They have them on amazon.com if you can't find them anywhere else. I don't know if you've tried them, DJ, but you might want to give them a shot. What can it hurt, right?

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
#220527 04/05/09 05:00 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Congratulations to all the expecting mothers!

I've never been pregnant, so I can't attest to nausea cures related to that. However, about three years ago, I had a two-month bout with vertigo. Because I get motion sickness, I had to do something to ease my constant nausea. I couldn't take dramamine, because it knocked me out cold for over 14 hours and even after I got up I felt like I was in a slow-motion haze. Someone recommended sea bands, and I tried them. I swear by them now for nausea. They're a little uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly. Worked like a charm!

#220528 04/05/09 06:00 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I didn't know about sea bands when I was pregnant, but when I became a scuba diver I found out about them and used them constantly. I get very sea sick on small boats. Most dive boats are small boats. Underwater it is calm, but the surface can be murder on an anchored boat. I now fly regularly with sea bands for rough air.
For those that don't know, they are a set of wrist bands with a small bead that goes over your pulse point on each wrist. Set it 2 fingers up the inside of your wrist from your palm. The British rescue sea service uses them constantly. I've even seen them in Wal Mart now. But you can get them at scuba or sport stores.
cool
Artemis

#220529 04/05/09 06:12 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And after all that work, this is what you get!

[Linked Image]

good luck all!
cool
Artemis

#220530 04/06/09 02:32 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
#1 for me!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#220531 04/06/09 02:37 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
DJ! I'm so happy for you, too! [Linked Image] Congratulations for the baby and for the Kerth! goofy I hope you get better. (((((DJ)))))

I'm going to find out what it is, too. I have an appointment with my doctor today and I must schedule the next ultrasound, but it should be after yours. When you find out what it is, let me know, too. I'm very curious. wink

Terry, that was sweet. Thank you. smile

What a cute baby, Artemis!

Wow, the list is growing. We're going to have a lot of new little FOLCs along the year. cool

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#220532 04/06/09 07:03 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My first little FOLC is turning 12 today... dizzy And my Kerth baby will be 10 next week!

DJ, I had "afternoon morning sickness" too, and it's miserable. About halfway through the second pregnancy, I figured out that it had to do with my stomach being empty, so if I could eat in the morning (before it started) and then nibble on things all day long, it wasn't quite so bad... but once I was hungry, I was too sick to eat. Feeling like you're starving while you're unable to eat a thing is not fun.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#220533 04/06/09 10:18 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks for all the tips everyone! smile Some of them I've tried and some I haven't... I'll definitely look into the seaband thing. Thanks.

And, yes, this is our #1 (and a surprise) smile

Andreia, I will definitely let you know when I find out what it is. laugh And I'll be so glad to be able to quit calling it... well, an "it." LOL. Then we get to start working on a name. Heh.

Awww, just think about all the new baby FoLCs smile (love that picture, Artemis - too cute)

-- DJ

P.S. - Thanks Terry! Awww....

#220534 04/07/09 08:31 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have never been pregnant and can't offer any advice, but I have to say congratulations to all new moms on these boards! clap dance party

Ann

#220535 04/16/09 12:42 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Bless you Tara! *hugs*

I ordered a pair of sea bands from Amazon. I got them yesterday and much to my relief... they work! Woo-hoo! When I haven't been able to get anything but Dramamine to work... these are doing the trick so far, and without any meds! (Why hadn't anyone else told me about these? Ugh!)

*does happy dance*

Anyway, just had to come thank you. smile

#220536 04/16/09 04:51 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
That's wonderful! I've heard good things about them and probably should have tried them, myself, especially with my second baby. I was constantly a little queasy with her. I actually lost 5 pounds because of that.

Fortunately, most women don't need things like that after they hit the second trimester, so you might not need them for long. Good luck smile

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
#220537 04/17/09 04:29 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Seabands are handy for many things, like being driven on a windy road (somehow if you're driving you don't get sick) and airplane turbulence and boats in choppy waters. Now that you've learned the trick, you can do the same thing without the bands themselves if you forget them. You found the pressure points, now just use the thumbs of the opposite hand to hold the same points. Yes, you can do two hands. Cross your hands, palms facing each other and use your thumbs. This works great for brief bouts of air turbulence, or a sudden urp during pregnancy. I sure wish I'd known about them then.
Glad they helped and good luck.
cool
Artemis

#220538 04/18/09 03:24 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Congrats, Andreia! goofy )

Raquel

"It's not the years that count, it's the moments, right now as they happen." (Clark Kent to Lois Lane - Brutal Youth - S4)
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard