Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#220480 03/30/09 06:14 PM
Nan Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Bill HR875, coming out of Congress tries to make it illegal to have a backyard garden and an apple tree.

This is horrible! In the name of food safety, the government is trying to make it illegal to grow your own fruit and vegetables. You have to get a permit, you're subject to inspections, and the burden of proof is on you that your produce doesn't cross any state lines. There are a million regulations and requirements and huge fines if you don't comply.

I never thought something like this could happen in America.

It's not a law yet, so anyone who likes to grow a garden in summer, get on the phone to your representative. This is a huge power grab by the big commercial growers. Otherwise, no more fresh tomatoes or fresh apples straight off the tree. If you have that garden, you're a "food production facility." They're going to fine you a million dollars for violations. No kidding.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#220481 03/30/09 06:15 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I'd heard of it but didn't know the specifics. So you couldn't take your own veggies with you on vacation and give them to your sister-in-law or something....

/sigh/

#220482 03/30/09 06:33 PM
Nan Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
It's not only not being able to give them to anyone -- you're not even allowed to *grow* them without a whole lot of expense and government red tape.

The Federal Takeover of Food Regulation

This is outrageous. The sponsors of this monstrosity are in the pockets of the big growers and meat producers. Call Congress and protest. The only thing these people understand is the possibility of being tossed out of office. This is over-reaching with a vengeance.

Nan

#220483 03/30/09 11:41 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, as an outsider, my irrelevant thoughts.

1. is this perchance an early April fools joke?

2. if not, court challenge! it's gotta be unconstitutional - violates freedom of expression or something.

c.

#220484 03/31/09 02:42 AM
Nan Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
No, it's not a joke. This has been in the pipeline for a while. It was introduced by Rosa de Lauro, whose husband has some kind of connection to Monsanto, and stands to make a lot of money if the small producers are put out of business. This bill would make those little roadside stands impossible to operate, and make it illegal for anyone with a kitchen garden or fruit trees to grow their own food. It also affects anyone that keeps chickens for the eggs or cows for milk, even if they don't sell it. The fines are enormous, and some of the penalties include jail time.

It's a massive power grab by government (the agency that would enforce it will have a lot of incentive to fine people for "violations" since they get to keep the lion's share of the money.)

The owners of small organic farms are furious about this. I hope other people are, too.

Nan

#220485 03/31/09 03:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Somebody better tell Michelle Obama, who rather famously launched a "kitchen garden" at the White House...

I agree, this is outrageous. So if I have an apple tree in my yard, I'd have to cut it down to avoid fines??

(Stuff like this happened during the Great Depression; small businesses were squeezed out of the market by big businesses, hand in hand with big government. It was illegal to sell things at a discount. Just one more New Deal policy that made the Depression so Great.)

Carol, I'd like to be able to count on the courts, but who knows. And I'd think it would take years to get to that point, by which time a lot of damage would have been done.

Maybe in addition to Tea Parties we need some Garden Parties...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#220486 03/31/09 10:26 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I mentioned this to my students today and they were outraged as well - one student's family owns several acres that has a number of apple trees on it [but not like they sell them or anything like a farm or whatever]. Another student said the DEA is partially behind it so they can drive by and see if you're planting marijuana in between the rows or something.

Oy.

Carol

#220487 03/31/09 11:08 AM
Nan Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Update: They *say* now that they're not coming after your kitchen garden (yet) but there is nothing in the bill to prohibit this, and they're definitely targeting small businesses. Your neighborhood roadside stand or organic family farm will be driven out of business by this thing, while companies like Monsanto won't be more than inconvenienced. (the husband of the bill's author is connected with them, just by coincidence, and stands to make a good deal of money if this bill goes through. Conflict of interest, anyone?)

Here's a link to a discussion concerning this a couple of days ago.

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/03/31/video-does-hr875-really-mean-the-end-of-small-farms/

#220488 03/31/09 12:49 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
This is so wrong. As soon as possible (I'm Canadian smile ) we buy produce from our local farmers. It's so much better tasting . Beyond that personal preference, this just stikes me as sooooo wrong. A betrayal of small independent farmers, freedom of choice, supporting the local economy etc.

c.

#220489 03/31/09 12:59 PM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
How about government running our lives! All of a sudden the government has their finger in everything. Oh, I guess that is 'change'.
Sue

#220490 04/01/09 12:22 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Easy solution - your President can use his veto power!

Afterall, the intent of this legislation seems contrary to the ethos suggested by Michelle's veggie garden which I'm sure was set up to deliver a message to the people.

c.

#220491 04/16/09 01:24 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm from the Uk, I don't want to upset anyone but I do find the US strange, Tou are allowed if yo ish to carry a licenced gun but they're tightening laws on fruit & veg.

Thanks for the love
Thanks for the guidance
Thanks for the TARTAN PRIDE HA!

Can't Stop Me Now - Rod Stewart - Time 2013
#220492 04/16/09 03:22 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
RodStewFan, I live in the US, and sometimes I find us strange.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#220493 05/03/09 05:15 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Everyone should be allowed to carry a gun (well not criminals of course) wink AND grow their own fruits and vegetables. I live in the ruralish area of Houston and I LOVE those little side-of-the-road produce sellers and farmer's markets. That is just soooo wrong.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#220494 05/07/09 07:31 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is OUTRAGEOUS. The next thing you know they are going to tell us what time we have to eat... and yes, what time we have to go to the bathroom - once a day and ONLY at your allotted time. If you miss your time, you have to wait till the next day. Yep, I can see it now...

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard