Print Thread
#220457 03/20/09 12:36 PM
K
Kal-El Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
K
are there any English people here. (or American i don't know whether you'd know this) that remember a superman comic magazine from the 90's i remember getting it when i was young. it wasn't like the graphic novels, it was a magazine rather than a comic'

also there was a website with animate cartoon superman episodes on it. i reallyyyy want to know what these were, please soembody tell me they remember

"Oh no Lois don't. I may throw up!"
#220458 03/20/09 12:38 PM
K
Kal-El Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
K
if i recall this is what the characters looked liek i think

http://www.spewgilist.com/portal/Portals/0/Gallery/Lois%20and%20Superman.jpg

#220459 03/20/09 12:49 PM
K
Kal-El Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
K

#220460 03/20/09 03:41 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just to let you know, this is a slow time for the boards because our our kerth season.

So, that is why there isn't much responce to your thread.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#220461 03/20/09 07:52 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, I read the comics in the nineties. There were four Superman comics then, Superman, The Adventures of Superman, Action Comics and Superman: The Man of Steel. For a while I read them all because of the romance between Lois and Clark Kent/Superman. But after a while there was also a fifth comic book, and it may be the one you refer to. I didn't read a single issue of it, because in that comic Lois didn't know that Superman and Clark Kent were the same person, she wasn't in love with Clark Kent, and she wasn't into any serious romance with Superman. This was not what I wanted for Lois and Clark. I think that the comic book was based on the Superman cartoon that you could probably see on American TV in the nineties. At least, I think it was meant to resemble the kind of superhero cartoons that you could see on TV at that time.

So if that is a nineties comic book I can't help you. On the other hand, the picture does remind me of a cartoon that I never got to see, which was much more 'adult' in its content than the usual cartoons. It was based on the nineties comic book bestseller about the Death and Return of Superman. In the original story Lois knew very well that Clark Kent was Superman, and she and Clark were engaged. Lois' love for Superman/Clark is very important for the story. The first picture you showed us might just possibly show how Superman says good-bye to Lois, possibly forever, as he is off to meet an enemy who is so ferocious that Superman will perhaps only be able to defeat him at the cost of his own life.

I'm sorry I can't say more than this to help you. Maybe you should contact Tank, who is a real comic book expert. If you go to the Fanfic folder and open the FDK thread for First Days in Metropolis - Parts 6 and 7, you will find that Tank has posted there. At the top of his post you can find a few icons, among them a drawing of two people shaking hands, with an envelope behind them. If you click on that icon, you can write a PM, a private message, to Tank, and ask him if he knows anything about your comic book.

Good luck!

Ann

#220462 03/21/09 04:50 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
The first picture that you have linked in from the Superman/Doomsday Animated DVD which came out a couple years back. The animation style was done differently than the animated television series and they used different voice talents, but the production crew was pretty much the same. Bruce Timm was in charge.

Personally, I wasn't very impressed with it. I thought the drawings were not nearly as well done as the TV series had been. Being familiar with the original 'Death of Superman' storyline, I was very disappointed in the significant deviations this DVD made in the plotline. There were too many parts which seemed contrived and unnecessarily convoluted. Luthor was not a major player in the original story, but it must have been felt that he had to be in the DVD.

The DVD is still available in your local stores that specialize in such.

The second image you linked was from one of the Superman comic books based on the animated series and aimed at kids. There have been several creative teams on the book over the years, but the consistant theme was accessability to a younger audience. The 'look' was consistant with the televised animated series, and the storylines were less complex. The Lois and Clark relationship was more 'old fashioned'. Lois had 'feelings' for Superman, but considered Clark just a friendly collegue.

The Animated Series is available on DVD sets. There is also a stand-alone story available on DVD called Superman/Batman The Brave and the Bold. It's a fun story and I highly reccomend it.

Tank (who has always had a soft spot for Dana Delaney, who does the voice in the animated series, as Lois Lane)

#220463 03/23/09 11:14 AM
K
Kal-El Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
K
i think it was a flimsy paper comic rathe than a graphic novel book. i found superman adventures covers but without seeing inside its hard to tell

#220464 03/28/09 07:24 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Superman Adventures was a DC comic based on the animated series continuity rather than the standard series of the time (Superman, AoS, MoS, MoT, etc.). Artwork and plots were similar to the animated series, and it was primarily intended for younger readers -- fans of the show rather than the comics.

From what you say about it being a magazine rather than a comic, I wonder if what you are talking about is a British reprint of the original DC material; there is a "tradition" here of doing that which may stem from distribution problems with the US comics -- plus the chance to make money from UK-based advertising.

SA wasn't bad as a comic and as related material to STAS (though I shall not bore you with my objections to the show), and ran for a few years after the series ended. It was cancelled when the Justice League series was made and replaced by a JL-based comic. I'd give more details but my copies are packed away at present.

Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox at times...

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard