Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Simona Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi FoLC!
I'm a Jane Austen fan, she's my favourite not-italian author. Aread everything written by her, from Sense and Sensibility to Lady Susan and Sandition, from Emma to Persuasion, but my favourite is without a doubt Pride and Prejudice.
I read it in Italian and in English, and I saw its transpositions in films, from the old one featuring Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier to the recent with Keira Knightley (not my favourite), but I loved the BBC production starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle; these two actors have done such a good work with it!
Now, I'd like to read some novels which tell us "what's happen" after the end, particularly books that write about Elizabeth and Mr Darcy's married life. But there are so many books and so many authors, I don't know my way through this huge amount of "best sellers"! Did you read some of these? Can you give some advices? What novel can be good, what I have to avoid? I'm not hoping for a great piece of art, just a readable book I can spend few pleasant hours with.

Thank you! smile1

Simona smile

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
If you go back a ways in the off topic folder you will find last years thread call '50 book challenge'. People have listed books they have read. You might find something listed that you would like.
Sue

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I haven't read the sequels authors have written I'll have to look them up for you as I can't remember them. I think from memory one is called 'Mr Darcy Takes a Wife.'

I have read 'Mr Darcy's Story' which is Pride and Prejudice from Darcy's point of view and that's pretty good.

I have not read all of Austen's book even though I have them all. I got about halfway through Emma and dumped it annoyed that she comes across so dumb especially when it compared to Elizabeth.

I too love the BBC production when I saw the previews for the Keira Knightly version my first instict was Darcy's so scruffy! I mean come on Darcy's meant to be the perfect gentleman.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I loved the BBC production starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle; these two actors have done such a good work with it!
Yeah, me too. Keira's version has its highlights but the BBC version as a whole it's way better. I downloaded it when I found out it existed, usually I rewatched it from time to time.

I'd like to read some novels which tell us "what's happen" after the end, particularly books that write about Elizabeth and Mr Darcy's married life.
Didn't know they existed, never heard of them, if you ever find them please post about it.

Carolyn smile

Pisco and Ceviche ->100% PERUVIAN. Never doubt that.
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
Ever considered fanfiction? wink

There are a few websites around, but the one I go to primarily is The Derbyshire Writer's Guild, http://www.austen.com/derby/

Lots of good authors and good stories, ranging from Regency to modern time.

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Hi Simona,

Here's a link to reviews of Austen sequels. Happy hunting!

http://www.pemberley.com/sequels/sequels_02.html

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A little off topic, but I couldn't resist passing this along. As far as I know it is a serious movie project and not a joke. Boy, I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall of THAT planning meeting!

Pride and Predator

The mind boggles. What will they come up with next?! eek

So, I take it all you Austin fans will be rushing to a movie theatre near you soon as this one is released? goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
You should also keep an eye out for the tv mini series "Lost in Austen" which may reappear on PBS. It's about a modern girl who accidentally swaps places with Elizabeth and messes everything up. It's pretty funny - especially when she's supposed to sing in the drawing room.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
There is a piece of unfinished fanfiction that the authors swear they'll finish some day. They are both professional writers, Brenda W. Clough and Ryk Spoor. It's a crossover with Terminator, working titles are Terminators of Endearment or Pride and Extreme Prejudice.

Found part of it. http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.written/msg/ab19529b2bbd9dfe

Top Banana
Top Banana
A warning about Lost in Austen, though - it's really a Mary Sue story, and so if you're a Elizabeth Bennett fan, you'll be disappointed, especially by the ending. The miniseries is competently made , however, and if you don't care about Lizzie then it could be for you.

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Speaking of weird Austenania (if that's a word), I learned of a recent Austen-themed novel, just released: Pride And Prejudice And Zombies .

As the synopsis says: "'It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.' So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem."

How can any true Jane Austen lover skip this book?

If anyone has read it, can they give me a review?

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard