Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#220287 02/25/09 05:07 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi all,
I just returned from my vacation (a year older but no wiser :p ) and received the letter from the Canadian Embassy in Berlin with the work and travel visa!! wave

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Okay totally not Canadian but YAY! That's awesome!

Wave if you fly over the midsection of the US wink .

And be sure to tell us all about the Games if you are there [yeah, I know it's a ways off...].

Carol

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Congratulations! Sounds like a terrific adventure for you. Not being Canadian, I can't give you any specific advice, but I really hope this experience is very rewarding on many different levels.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay! That's wonderful!

And you've come to the right place wink I now work with new Canadians as an employment counsellor, helping them to integrate into the Canadian labour market. First of all, though, I'm going to direct you to Loon Lounge , which is a networking website for people immigrating to Canada or otherwise coming to spend some time there and looking for work. You won't find a job through that site - or it's very unlikely - but you may find people who live and work in the areas you want to live and work.

I'm an expert member on the site, and if you go into the Occupation Community you'll see some blogs I've written, including one on Canadian-style resumes and some links to sample resumes. Take a look at that and have a go at rewriting your resume, then email it to me and I'll give you a critique. If you don't have my email address, PM me and I'll give it to you.

Congratulations again, and good luck! You'll love Vancouver, and it's going to be really exciting being there for the Olympics smile

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Congrats! That's great! clap

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Congrats, Natascha! Good luck finding a job; Wendy's the best possible person to help you with that. And if you fly over North Carolina (which I doubt!) be sure to wave, okay? smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thank you all!

I have been wanting to try Canada for a while but there was always something. I finally applied and it feels great!

As some of you know, I spent several years in the US, first as an exchange student, then going to college and doing practical training. It was very hard for me to leave once the visa expired. That was 6 years ago and I still come back to the US once a year or so. Can't keep me away. Isn't it nice that Canada is so much closer than my current location? <g>

It might not be a smart idea to quit my semi-well paying job but this is something I need to do. I have been living and working on a tiny island in the North Sea for over 3 years now with basically no social life. If I don't leave now... And I turn 30 next year! frown

Wendy, thanks for the links. They were already a great help. I was hoping you would see this thread and reply! smile I emailed you my resume draft to the email address in your profile. Please let me know what you think!

Again, thanks for the wishes! I will definitely wave on my way but I will probably spend some time in the US too! wave

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey Tasha, that's great. Recently on the Today show they interviewed the head of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver and that gave me an additional idea. Why not also write the Olympic committee and volunteer time in Vancouver? Explain your great experience with the states, your hotel work here and your fluency with English. Maybe they would also put in a good word with the visa people.
Anyway, welcome back to the Americas!
regards
Artemis & Hubby
Every time we go to Quigley's in Lenwood, we think of you and Chris.

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Q
Qex Offline
Blogger
Blogger
Q
I actually live near Vancouver (on the other side of the river though). If you don't mind couch surfing, I have space to put you up. The commute to downtown Vancouver is about an hour, though.

Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Qex,
Thanks a lot for the offer, that is really generous of you! I would love to meet up with you when I am there. So I will keep you posted.

In the meantime, if you hear about any upcoming hotel openings in the area, please let me know. smile

Natascha wave

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Keep us updated here on your progress, Tasha. Hubby and I might be up Vancouver way this summer.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Flights are booked and I only have 3 weeks of work left. I am leaving the island on August 2nd to spend two weeks with my family and waiting for my best friend to give birth. wink
On August 17th I am flying to Boston and will be staying in New Hampshire for a month before heading to San Diego for a week to see Chris.
Official entry to Canada will be on September 24th...

I am in the process of cancelling insurance policies etc. I already found a really good international health insurance so that's all taken care of. I also just sold my car. Amazing that I even got some money for it! LOL

Still so much to do and so little time. Work is very busy right now and I haven't had much chance to train the new girl since I am always helping out in different departments. Oh well, we will have to make the best of it, right?

Wendy, I emailed you another version of my resume. Did you see it?

Natascha wave

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tasha, I haven't had any emails from you... Want to try again?

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Just sent it again.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Natascha,

Still nothing, and I just went through my deleted items and spam folder. What address are you using? I'll send you a PM with a different email address, though I haven't been having any problems with my @lcfanfic address that I know of.

- Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard