As some of you will have noticed, I write and design role playing games. I've decided that my next design project will probably be "Fanfic: The Role Playing Game"

The basic idea is to use the Diana: Warrior Princess rules (e.g. extremely cinematic and silly) but the setting of the TV show, book, whatever of your choice. Characters are designed by players, who must base the character stats on the description of the character in a story of their choice - so it can be anything from completely canon compliant to a total Mary-Sue. The other players have to agree that the character stats match the character as described. The rule, I think, will be that players can't base their characters on their own fanfic...

Characters who are close to canon will get bonuses that can be used to influence dice rolls etc. Mary-Sues will get fewer bonuses and possibly an occasional bit of bad luck. I'm not 100% sure what I'll do about characters who are pretty much Mary-Sues in canon such as H*n*r H*rr*ngt*n or W*ll*w R*s*nb*rg, but I'm sure I'll think of something. There will also, I think, be lots of cards that players can use to influence the plot such as "Woke Up In Vegas", "Real Father", etc.

Now for obvious legal reasons this can't be based on any real fandom - apart from anything else, I want to sell this, which means I can't mess around with characters owned by grasping megacorporations. I'm probably going to have to invent some sort of low common denominator TV show and use it for my examples. My tentative title is "Ninja Monster Slayers in Spaaaace". Any suggestions on this? And what do people think of the idea as a whole?

Discussion of this will take place primarily on my livejournal as I develop it, but I'll see any comments posted here.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game