Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#219968 01/13/09 01:56 PM
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
It is with deep regret that I inform FoLCdom of the passing of a great man. Phil Mogul passed away December 24, 2008. He had been hospitalized several weeks ago for a stroke and finally suffered a heart attack. In addition, he was in great pain due to back injuries suffered from Viet Nam and Crohn's disease.

I met Phil through Lois and Clark. Several years ago I edited a fic for him and our association continued in that vein. After two years or so I admitted that I lived not too far from him (about 2 hrs); I was cautious at first, you see. We made arrangements to meet for lunch along with our spouses and we all hit it off. From that time on we talked on the phone often and occasionally visited each other.

Phil was one of the most generous people I have ever known. He truly wanted to help people, and it didn't matter to him what race or religion you were. He believed in family and had very strong family values, as one can see by reading his fics. He was a spiritual man and believed strongly in a higher being, but at the same time he did not judge people poorly who had beliefs different from his own. Phil and I did not share the same religion, but I found we could agree on almost everything. He gave me a lot to think about and broadened my viewpoint.

Most of you may not know that Phil was a highly educated man. He had an earned Ph.D in physics and chemistry and was well versed in many other areas. He delighted in writing fanfic because writing prose was totally new to a man who spent his life in science and writing scientific journals. He wanted to exercise his brain fully by doing something he had never done before. His quest for knowledge was enormous.

Phil was a wonderful teacher. His students revered him, and he challenged them to go beyond what they felt they were capable of. He was known for his many inspiring anecdotes and words of wisdom. His high ethical and moral character made him an excellent role model for generations of students.

I'm sure there are many accomplishments of Phil's that I may never know. He was a humble man, who did not try to set himself above others. But I will tell you now that I think he was a giant of a man, a wonderful friend, a good husband to his wife, and a good father to his children. He will indeed be missed by many.

I have a fic that Phil wrote that has not been placed in the Archive yet. I edited it last summer. Phil wanted to change a few things before uploading it to the Archive, but he never got around to it. I felt it was one of his best. I will be uploading it soon to the Archive posthumously. He always wondered if many read his tales. Feedback to our authors is so important, guys. I assured him and told him that if nothing else he was expressing what was in his heart. And what a sincere and loving heart! Please read his last fic. I will share with his wife any condolences if you wish to send them to me.
<jpare@atmc.net> Jeanne Pare

#219969 01/13/09 03:26 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Jeanne, what a beautiful and affectionate tribute to one of our own.

I never had much contact with Phil; I don't think I ever GEd a fic of his, and I perhaps exchanged one or two emails with him related to feedback on my fics. I was aware of his educational background (not quite sure how) and that writing fiction was, for him, a new and different venture. We never truly get to know people through the medium of email and other online avenues, and it's lovely to hear that you actually knew him personally.

Please do convey our condolences to Phil's wife - and I also send my condolences to you, as it's clear from your post that you have also lost a dear friend. Thank you for telling us the sad news, and for such a touching post.

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#219970 01/13/09 05:08 PM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I left my comments on the other boards, but I wanted to say here that from my contacts with him, I thought Phil was an awfully nice person. I'm sad that I didn't write to him when I intended to a while ago.

Remember, it is the people in your life that really matter. Never forget that, and never pass up the chance to tell them, even in a small way, that they are important to you. You never know when the chance will be gone forever.

RIP Phil. I'll miss you.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#219971 01/13/09 06:55 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Jeanne, what a beautiful and affectionate tribute to one of our own.
I wholeheartedly agree. This was really beautiful, Jeanne.

And, yes, please pass our condolences to his wife.

Remember, it is the people in your life that really matter. Never forget that, and never pass up the chance to tell them, even in a small way, that they are important to you. You never know when the chance will be gone forever.
Yes, Nan, this is very important. Many of us feel immortal (even if we don't want to admit it) and then we lose someone and we realize we should have told that person just how we feel.

#219972 01/13/09 07:03 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I am so sorry to hear this news. Please pass on my deepest condolences to his family. He will definitely be missed.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#219973 01/13/09 07:53 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Jeanne, this is a wonderful tribute. I have GEed a few of his stories over the years. He was always very polite and appreciative.

He will definitely be missed. frown Please pass on my condolences to his family.

Tricia

#219974 01/13/09 09:09 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, Jeanne. Please pass on our condolences.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#219975 01/14/09 01:49 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I remember Phil trying to explain to us why Clark didn't die in Wendy's "For the Greater Good". He was a very smart man. I'll have to go back and re-read some of his stories. He will be missed.
Sue

#219976 01/14/09 06:20 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was sorry to hear from you that Phil was ill and that he had sadly passed away over the Christmas break, Jeanne.

I never knew him very well - really only from submitting his stories to the Archive - but every once in a while he would send me emails detailing what he and his wife had been up to and he always struck me as being a very sincere and sweet man. The bond between him and Iris was obviously very strong and they were both people who knew how to appreciate life and its pleasures. Nothing seemed to get Phil down for very long.

I know that he greatly appreciated the work you did on his stories for the Archive and the friendship that had flourished between you as a result. A friendship that I am sure Iris will find solace in now.

My condolences to you both.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#219977 01/14/09 01:12 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I am so very sorry to hear this. Phil. through his writing, impressed me with his integrity and also with his imagination. My sympathy to his family - I know how heart breaking this must be for them. Jeanne, thanks for letting us know, and also my synpathy to you.

carol

#219978 01/14/09 03:28 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Phil. through his writing, impressed me with his integrity and also with his imagination.
A great, big ditto to this. I'll always remember him as a very honorable person through his writing. Thanks for sharing such wonderful memories with us, Jeanne.

God bless,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#219979 01/15/09 09:28 AM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I left a message on the other board but want to express my sorrow at the passsing of a man I knew only through what he wrote on the message list and in his stories. He respected others, even while disagreeing with them, and his kindness and intelligence always shone through. My condolences to his family.

Jude

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
#219980 01/16/09 04:26 AM
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Thank you everyone for your kind expressions of sympathy. it is heartwarming to read your sincere comments. I am passing your messages on to Phil's wife in hopes that they may give her some small comfort during this time of immense sorrow, as Phil would say in this "vale of tears."

Jeanne

#219981 01/16/09 09:55 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
My sympathies to both you and Phil's wife. I haven't read a lot of his work, but what I have seen, I can tell he was very passionate about it. He will be missed.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard