It is with deep regret that I inform FoLCdom of the passing of a great man. Phil Mogul passed away December 24, 2008. He had been hospitalized several weeks ago for a stroke and finally suffered a heart attack. In addition, he was in great pain due to back injuries suffered from Viet Nam and Crohn's disease.

I met Phil through Lois and Clark. Several years ago I edited a fic for him and our association continued in that vein. After two years or so I admitted that I lived not too far from him (about 2 hrs); I was cautious at first, you see. We made arrangements to meet for lunch along with our spouses and we all hit it off. From that time on we talked on the phone often and occasionally visited each other.

Phil was one of the most generous people I have ever known. He truly wanted to help people, and it didn't matter to him what race or religion you were. He believed in family and had very strong family values, as one can see by reading his fics. He was a spiritual man and believed strongly in a higher being, but at the same time he did not judge people poorly who had beliefs different from his own. Phil and I did not share the same religion, but I found we could agree on almost everything. He gave me a lot to think about and broadened my viewpoint.

Most of you may not know that Phil was a highly educated man. He had an earned Ph.D in physics and chemistry and was well versed in many other areas. He delighted in writing fanfic because writing prose was totally new to a man who spent his life in science and writing scientific journals. He wanted to exercise his brain fully by doing something he had never done before. His quest for knowledge was enormous.

Phil was a wonderful teacher. His students revered him, and he challenged them to go beyond what they felt they were capable of. He was known for his many inspiring anecdotes and words of wisdom. His high ethical and moral character made him an excellent role model for generations of students.

I'm sure there are many accomplishments of Phil's that I may never know. He was a humble man, who did not try to set himself above others. But I will tell you now that I think he was a giant of a man, a wonderful friend, a good husband to his wife, and a good father to his children. He will indeed be missed by many.

I have a fic that Phil wrote that has not been placed in the Archive yet. I edited it last summer. Phil wanted to change a few things before uploading it to the Archive, but he never got around to it. I felt it was one of his best. I will be uploading it soon to the Archive posthumously. He always wondered if many read his tales. Feedback to our authors is so important, guys. I assured him and told him that if nothing else he was expressing what was in his heart. And what a sincere and loving heart! Please read his last fic. I will share with his wife any condolences if you wish to send them to me.
<jpare@atmc.net> Jeanne Pare