#219818 01/03/09 07:02 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
And the new doctor is...

Matt Smith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Smith

but add _(British_actor) to that.

Don't know much about him, pretty sure I've never seen him act.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've never heard of him at all. From Wiki, he doesn't seem to have acted in very much either. Although it's interesting that he did work on the Pullman dramatisations, alongside Billie Piper.

Ah well - will be interesting to see what he does with the role then. More so, since I can come to it without any previous ideas of what he's like.

I bet the bookies are happy though! goofy I don't think he even figured on their list, did he?

I had been firmly convinced that, sharp off the back of US election fever and Obama-mania, that they would go with Patterson Joseph. If only for the kudos and extra PR they could squeeze out of "Look - it's the first black Dr. Who!".

They've kind of gone up in my estimation for not jumping on that particular bandwagon.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh god frown

First Moffat taking over, now this kid as the Doctor.

See me losing interest fast... razz

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Don't back off too fast, Wendy. After all, I'm sure he played an excellent "Curious Onlooker" in the movie "Gotham, IL."

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
Dear me. To me, he doesn't have the looks of the Doctor. Let alone that he is younger than me!! So I don't quite see this as a continuation of the show I fell in love. As Wendy, I'm no fan of Moffat. This doesn't bode well at all. But I'll probably give it a shot anyhow, yet I do not expect it to live up to the fantastic show I've follwed for the last four years. frown

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
BBC announcement here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/news/latest/090103_news_01

I'm trying not to let the age thing worry me too much - all of the doctors have been younger than my current age when they first started.

Marcus L. Rowland
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm with Wendy and Sas. This selection doesn't bode well. He doesn't look serious enough to be a Doctor.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I am without words.

Never mind, I do have words. I saw him in The Ruby in the Smoke and, well, he's just a kid! I'm not concerned too much about his actual age because I'm sure there are 26-year-olds who could portray a Time Lord, but I am concerned that this particular person won't be able to pull off being 900 years old.

Then again, I'm still feeling personally wounded that David is abandoning DW, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This selection doesn't bode well. He doesn't look serious enough to be a Doctor.
Right. Of course, Tom Baker was the soul of serious, as was Sylvester McCoy.

(I never took to McCoy, by the way. I thought he looked and acted like a whiny little goof.)

And we have to remember that there were many who derided the selection of Dean Cain as Clark Kent because he wasn't tall enough or "heroic" enough or forceful enough to play Superman. But he did pretty well, don't you think?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Merriwether
Merriwether
Serious Doctor is Serious Business??

I'll give the new Doctor a try. It took me a few episodes to get past Barty Crouch playing the Doctor, so I can give the new one a few episodes. Unlike some other people... my husband refused to watch after David Tennant took over! He said he looked too.. squirrelly. Wonder if this'll bring him back into watching it with me?

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by MrsMosley:
I am without words.

Never mind, I do have words. I saw him in The Ruby in the Smoke and, well, he's just a kid!
He'll be 27 when he films his first season - that's not exactly a kid.

Marcus L. Rowland
Top Banana
Top Banana
Actually, Marcus, they'll start shooting the new series this summer and he will still be 26 then... While I agree that age doesn't make him a kid still, I don't see how he'll be able to pull off a 900 year old Time Lord. Especially after what the Doctor has gone through recently, I don't see him having enough experience yet. But I haven't seen him act in anything, so I'm only judging by what I've seen online tonight.

I'm probably also prejudiced since I'm rather taken with David Tennant as the Doctor. I'll be sorry to see him go after the specials.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And we have to remember that there were many who derided the selection of Dean Cain as Clark Kent because he wasn't tall enough or "heroic" enough or forceful enough to play Superman. But he did pretty well, don't you think?
Yeah, I'm a little dubious about this guy, but I'll reserve judgement till I've seen him in the role - having learned my lesson with Donna. goofy I was one of those who, on learning that CT was going to be the new companion, reacted with utter horror. And, well...how wrong can a person be?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree; I ranted long and loud on my LJ about the selection of Catherine Tate as the S4 companion, and by ten minutes into Partners in Crime was well and truly won over. So, although I'm not particularly impressed and think he looks far, far too young to play the Doctor, I've kept my LJ reaction this time to some facetious quasi-companion reactions goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Are there any discussions on whether there will be a new companion, too, along with the new Doctor? It'll be weird to see two completely new faces in 2010.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Haven't seen any discussions of that sort yet, but we know there'll be no companion for the Specials - that's already been made clear in the Confidential for The Next Doctor. The Doctor will be travelling alone, so there'll be a special guest companion for each Special. We can only assume that he'll pick someone up early in his new regeneration.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I know that it's deeply unlikely, but it would be wonderful if, by the time we roll around to 2010 and a new Doctor, CT was able to come back as Donna.

That would certainly help me get over the transition. laugh

But, as I say, I'm not holding my breath.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
Aw darn. I'm currently more into Torchwood than I am Dr. Who, but I'm slowly getting into Dr. Who, too. I was pulling for Chiwetel Ejiofor, he's been great in everything I've seen him in. Guess I'll wait to see how this guy does.

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Maybe this is when River Song comes into the Doctor's life? Not sure how I would feel about her being a companion, but at least it's a familiar character.

-- Roger

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I'm always amazed by how many women in L&C fandom are caught up in the Doctor Who series.

Except for an implied but unrealilzed attraction between Billie Piper's Rose and this last Doctor, the show has never really been know to have any real romantic overtones.

There has always been a female companion, but it's always been more of a one-sided admiration type of relationship.

I came into Doctor Who with Tom Baker's Doctor, and also saw a lot of Jon Pertwee, and have to admit that I've always been a big fan of Sarah Jane Smith. But, for all the years that they were together, you never had any feeling that they were ever going to get together romantically.

I also would think that the goofy sci-fi nature of the show's general plotlines would be counter to what many of the romance-minded folks who frequent this board would generally enjoy.

I know that Superman is inherantly sci-fi with an alien who flies as one of the main protagonists, but even the more far out stories tend to feel more 'grounded' than do most of the Dr. Who stories.

I'm not knocking Dr. Who, I have watched and enjoyed it in the past, and have watched some of the newer Doctors when they came to the states. I'm just saying that I'm surprised there are so many here who are admitted romantics who enjoy a show which I don't see as having much of a romantic component.

Tank (who will admit that he never cared for this last companion, and was never a big fan of this last Doctor either)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard