T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Right now, Sweden feels like this:

Explosions

Explosions! Explosions! Explosions! Okay, I'm talking about fireworks. I hate them. All right, some of them are pretty when they rain a shower of multi-colored sparks high overhead. But so many of them just explode, just making a horrible harsh sharp shocking sound. And they go off everywhere right now.

It is like this. Fireworks have been legal in Sweden for as long as I can remember, but before we joined the European Union, fireworks could be sold only between December 27 and December 31. Well, so that people could have fireworks to celebrate the new year.

Gradually the fireworks became more and more of a nuisance. It is not legal to sell fireworks to persons under the age of 15, but lots of fathers bought fireworks for their underage sons anyway. And in a lot of stores the cashiers didn't ask about the age of the kids who carried armloads of big fat rockets. Then the kids ran wild, shooting fireworks everywhere, sometimes throwing their 'explosionware' after little kiddies, pensioners and dogs.

So the Swedish government had enough. They decided to outlaw fireworks. But this was about five years ago or a little more, and we were now members of the European Union. And the EU said no-no when Sweden wanted to ban fireworks. Banning fireworks was a way to limit the free market within the European Union, you see. Makers of fireworks in Brussels and Strasbourg would not be able to sell their stuff in Sweden if we outlawed their products. So instead of banning fireworks, Sweden ended up making them legal all year round. Because, so the government told us, that is what the EU had ordered them to do.

Fortunately fireworks are unusual in Sweden during most of the year. Now, however, is a time when you can't be entirely sure that something won't explode next to your feet if you go outside. Yeeech!!!!

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sorry to hear that Sweden has been polluted by European habits when it comes to fireworks, Ann. I sympathise.

Personally, I'm fairly ambivalent about them. But it gets very wearing when they're going off from around early August right through till November - our main fireworks night is, of course, November 5th or Guy Fawkes Night.

When I was young laugh , it used to just BE one night and that was fine - and kind of special for we kids. But now greedy shopkeepers have them in the shops early and sell them to anyone who'll buy. Plus, they get them off the internet and those are far more powerful than they should be - sometimes it's like a war going on outside your living room. Over the decades, they've become quite dangerous explosives.

And then, of course, there's Homer, who just lies shaking until it's all over with. frown

I'm surprised to hear that Sweden couldn't outlaw them at certain times though. I could be entirely wrong, but I'm fairly sure that a couple of years ago our government brought in new legislation limiting them to certain times. Not days of the year, specifically, but you can't set them off after a certain time of night, I believe. Which enabled the police to do something about it if they did.

It seems to have worked, too - to my surprise - because this year we heard no fireworks at all until the last week in October and even those were sporadic. It's definitely been a lot quieter.

I did a bit of checking and here it is:

In Regulations made under the Fireworks Act 2003, it is also an offence for the under 18s to possess fireworks in a public place and for anyone to let fireworks off during night hours (11pm to 7am). Police also have the power to issue penalty notices for disorder for these offences. Again, the offence attracts the upper tier fine of £80.
There are exceptions to the law for Guy Fawkes, New Year, Chinese New Year and Diwali, apparently.

In 2004, the 2003 Act was revoked and replaced by something more comprehensive, but the elements above were carried over to the 2004 Act and remain in force.

So I don't see why your government couldn't do something similar if it wanted to.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Co-incidentally, I've just found this on the BBC News Website - thought it might make you chuckle. goofy

New Year's Eve could prove to be something of a damp squib for some men in the Italian city of Naples.

Hundreds of Neapolitan women have pledged to go without sex unless their men promise to refrain from setting off dangerous illegal fireworks.

Local authorities are backing the women and have sent out text messages urging the men to "make love, not explosions".

The women say it is the only way to persuade their partners that they are serious about their concerns.

"Setting off illegal fireworks isn't celebrating, it's dangerous," Carolina Staiano, a founder of the campaign, told La Stampa newspaper.

She told women that if their man did not understand the dangers they should "take action and make him sleep on the sofa".

''If a sex strike is what it takes in order to get the attention of our men, husbands, partners and sons, then we're ready for it," Mrs Staiano, 44, told Italy's Ansa news agency.

Mrs Staiano, who has the support of local churches, speaks from personal experience when warning of the dangers of fireworks.

She has spent her life caring for her father, who was left partially paralysed and with epilepsy after a firework exploded next to him at New Year's Eve party before she was born.

But the campaign, which started as a small-scale pledge in her home town of Lettere, about 40km (25 miles) from Naples, now has hundreds of supporters and has generated massive media interest.

''I'm receiving phone calls all the time from people who want to join. To be honest, I really wasn't expecting this level of interest,' said Mrs Staiano.

The move was inspired by the ancient Greek play Lysistrata, in which the women of Greece refuse to have sex unless their men folk forge a truce with their rivals from Sparta.

Doctor and local councillor Vincenzo Sorrentino, who has long campaigned against the illegal fireworks, said a sex ban was "an issue that men are particularly sensitive to''.

''The idea of no sex is not exactly popular and polls among local men have suggested they plan to make much greater efforts this year to prevent illegal fireworks being let off," he said.

Previous attempts to prevent the New Year's Eve mayhem had proved unsuccessful, said Mr Sorrentino, but he hoped the women's threat would do the job.

"They are more convincing and they always achieve their goals," he said.

The BBC's Duncan Kennedy in Rome says if the men of Naples men fail to get the women's message, an awful lot of them could be waking up on sofas on New Year's Day.
LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Just a theory...

Here at least that would be part of a noise ordinance or something like that and not specific to fireworks - would also apply to stereos etc.

Technically, fireworks are never legal in the fairly major city [3rd largest in the state, but really not huge] and only legal on July 4 in our town. That said, police largely turn a blind eye for a week before/after or so. As long as it's not too late or you're disrupting traffic or things of that nature, you're probably good. Starting a fire would be bad too wink . That said, except for July 4, they'd be stopped after 10 I think it is because of the noise ordinance more than anything else.

The big tents that sell them open in early/mid June or so.

I know that doesn't help much Ann frown . And I'm with you. If they're going to go off, they need to do more than just 'boom', they need to be pretty...

Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes,
And then, of course, there's Homer, who just lies shaking until it's all over with. [Frown]
Snowball used to hide in the shower 4th of July. Illegal fireworks are rigidly prevented in California because of fire danger. Legal fireworks for the July celebrations are tamer and quieter and everyone is encouraged to see the big city show.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hundreds of Neapolitan women have pledged to go without sex unless their men promise to refrain from setting off dangerous illegal fireworks.
clap clap rotflol

Go, Lysistrate!!!

[Linked Image]

The men will have to go without until they learn to behave, as Lysistrate taught her sisters 2,400 years ago!

Ann

P.S.

So I don't see why your government couldn't do something similar if it wanted to.
I'm sure you're right. If our government had wanted a ban badly enough, and if they had been prepared to fight for a ban against all those vociferous Swedish fireworks fans, they would just have gone ahead and implemented their ban and told the EU to go s*** itself.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm sure you're right. If our government had wanted a ban badly enough, and if they had been prepared to fight for a ban against all those vociferous Swedish fireworks fans, they would just have gone ahead and implemented their ban and told the EU to go s*** itself.
Yeah, it's often easier for a government to let the EU be the fall guy for unpopular decisions. Our lot like to try that one too.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Even if they "have to" sell them, I don't see why they couldn't control their use to some extent.

Then the kids ran wild, shooting fireworks everywhere, sometimes throwing their 'explosionware' after little kiddies, pensioners and dogs.
eek Surely it can't be legal to explode people and pets? Define anything that harms someone as a very serious crime (akin to manslaughter, maybe), strictly enforce it, and then prosecute the hell out of anyone who does it. That ought to encourage restraint.

Throw a firecracker at a dog, go to jail for five years. Is it really that fun??

"But I didn't know that old guy was standing there!" "Doesn't matter, it was your job to check, but since you didn't, we're charging you with murder. Open and shut case. Enjoy prison."

Like Carol said, though, enforcement is key. If the police don't act, it doesn't really matter what laws are made.

Love the idea in Italy, LabRat! lol

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
the EU said no-no when Sweden wanted to ban fireworks. Banning fireworks was a way to limit the free market within the European Union, you see. Makers of fireworks in Brussels and Strasbourg would not be able to sell their stuff in Sweden if we outlawed their products.
Like LabRat said, this doesn't hold much water. Under this logic, gun control is illegal laugh

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by TOC:
clap clap rotflol

Go, Lysistrate!!!

[Linked Image]

The men will have to go without until they learn to behave, as Lysistrate taught her sisters 2,400 years ago!

Ann
That's exactly what I was thinking!

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Blogger
Blogger
But this was about five years ago or a little more, and we were now members of the European Union. And the EU said no-no when Sweden wanted to ban fireworks. Banning fireworks was a way to limit the free market within the European Union, you see. Makers of fireworks in Brussels and Strasbourg would not be able to sell their stuff in Sweden if we outlawed their products. So instead of banning fireworks, Sweden ended up making them legal all year round. Because, so the government told us, that is what the EU had ordered them to do.
I'm tempted to say it's much more complicated. EU is based on agreements and shared laws. There's a law who says that if a country says one product is legal, all of the countries have to accept it. That's the way it works. You can agree or disagree but that's the way it works. Sweden had to accept fireworks, France had to accept Redbull when it was illegal some monthes ago... I'm sure every country in the EU live the same situation.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard