So it is not Lucia yet, because it's not December 13 yet even here in Sweden, but we have been celebrating it all day anyway because the 'real' Lucia is on Saturday this year when most people don't work and there is no school for the kids.

Lucia... well, it's a complicated tradition, and I won't go into how it peculiarly Swedish traditions. Three things happen at Lucia, though. On the night between December 12 and December 13, hordes of teenagers are partying wildly and drinking far too much alcohol. And early in the morning on December 13, Lucia and her maids sing their Lucia songs at every school with even a smidgeon of self-respect, and you find these singing girls at hospitals, workplaces, shopping malls, whatever. And in the evening of December 13, there are Lucia concerts by candlelight in churches and concert halls everywhere.

So I thought I would post a few links to some of our most popular and beloved Lucia songs!

Sankta Lucia (Saint Lucia - the Lucia song of all Lucia songs)

Staffan war en stalledräng (Staffan was a stableboy)

Staffan var en stalledräng (a much more solemn version)

Det strålar en stjärna ( A star is shining)

This is another very popular Swedish song, which is often sung at Lucia (hey, the singers in the video look sort of dreadful, but it's a good song, give it a chance):

Tänd ett ljus (Light a candle)

Hope you enjoy! laugh

Ann