Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Only in America ......do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

Only in America ......do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke.

Only in America .....do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters.

Only in America .....do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage.

Only in America ......do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight.

Only in America ......do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

EVER WONDER ..

Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin?

Why women can't put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Why don't you ever see the headline 'Psychic Wins Lottery'?

Why is 'abbreviated' such a long word?

Why is it that doctors call what they do 'practice'?

Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons?

Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?

Why do they sterilize the needle for lethal injections?

You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?!

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?

If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries are almost dead?

Why do banks charge a fee on 'insufficient funds' when they already know there is not enough money?

Why does someone Believe you when you say there are four billion stars; but have to check when you say the paint is still wet?

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Why does Superman stop bullets with his chest, but ducks when you throw a revolver at him?

Why do Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Whose idea was it to put an 'S' in the word 'lisp'?

If people evolved from apes, why are there still
apes?

Why is it that no matter what color bubble bath you use the bubbles are always white?

Is there ever a day that mattresses are not on sale?

Why do people constantly return to the refrigerator with hopes that something new to eat will have materialized?

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?

Why is it that no plastic bag will open from the end on your first try?

How do those dead bugs get into those enclosed light fixtures?

When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our ankle with a shopping cart then apologizes for doing so, why do we say, 'It's all right?' Well, it isn't all right, so why don't we say, 'That really hurt, why don't you watch where you're going?'

Why is it that whenever you attempt to catch something that's falling off the table you always manage to knock something else over?

In winter why do we try to keep the house as warm as it was in summer when we complained about the heat?

How come you never hear father-in-law jokes?

And my FAVORITE......

The statistics on sanity is that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -
if they're okay, then it's you.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Nice list.

I actually have answers for a couple of these.

I read somewhere that ATMs are all made standard (with braille). There's no way of knowing when it's manufactured if it's going to be put in a drive through, in the bank, or on a street somewhere. So they're all made the same.

Needles for lethal injections are sterilized because it's part of procedure, like any other shot. The person being executed is still a human being, and the law says they have the right to be treated as such.

Thanks to Cat for my rockin' avatar!
++++
(About Lois & Clark)
Perry: Son, you just hit the bulls eye. It's like we're supporting characters in some TV show and it's only about them.
Jimmy: Yeah! It's like all we do is advance their plots.
Perry: To tell you the truth, I'm sick of it.
Jimmy: Man, me too!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Only in America ......do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke.
Now, see there's a logical reason for that! At least, there is for me.

There's a scene in an SG1 episode where the team order a huge meal and then Sam Carter tacks a diet coke to the end of it. The two guys give her a look and she shrugs and says, "I like the taste better."

And I'm leaping up and down on the sofa yelling, "Yes! Yes! Exactly! Finally, someone gets it!"

laugh

I hate the taste of regular Coke/Pepsi etc. It's always tasted far too sickly sweet to me. Diet Coke/Pepsi etc is just perfect, however, so I'll always order it - no matter what I'm having to eat.

So.... :p to those comics who don't get that. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Personally, I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners, including Splenda. Blech! Is it an acquired taste?

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's definitely an acquired taste, at least for me. At one point, I tried to cut out sodas to avoid the sugar but couldn't so I tried to switch from regular to diet.

The first one I tried was a Diet Pepsi as I heard it was easier to get accustomed to that than Diet Coke when going from the sugary stuff. It was awful and I could barely get down half a can.

It took a while but I finally got used to it. The one drawback, though, is that once you switch, there's no going back. After you get accustomed to diet soda, the real stuff, as Labby says, is way too sickly sweet. So now I can only drink the diet stuff, which is too bad since my previous favorite was Mountain Dew. I can't drink it anymore, sadly, and the diet version isn't very good. Oh well. frown

I got ruined on milk that way too. At one point, my sister switched to skim milk from whole when we were kids and drinking that stuff was like drinking water, only without the taste. wink

Once I started drinking skim, I couldn't drink any other kind (1%, 2%, whole). Today, I only have milk with cereal and can't drink it by itself because it tastes eh.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I technically had gestational diabetes with DS [yeah, it was pretty much a bum rap - I had a bad day or something because even when I went carb crazy I never had any problems].

I tried mixing half and half b/c there was no way the diet thing was happening and I could manage to swallow that but barely. I ended up cutting back rather than switching.

As for milk... We do 1% for everyone but babies. I still *prefer* 2% and it's like getting a treat. Skim - can't do it.

Carol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It probably is an acquired taste. I think I took to it so easily because I never really drank original Coke/Pepsi to start with. I may have had the odd one or two, but, being Scottish, the soft drink I had a fondness for, growing up, was always Irn Bru.

So I probably went straight on to drinking the diet versions of Coke/Pepsi when they came out without ever having first build up a taste for the originals. Guess that helped.

Although, OTOH, these days I also drink the diet version of Irn Bru and the original is too sweet for me, so the theory kind of falls apart there because I don't recall having much of a taste transition from the sweet original to the diet version. huh

Talking of awful tastes though - I'm old enough to have been around when there were no diet versions and I do recall one of the first diet Coke's to come out was something called Tab. Now, that was positively foul. As I recall, it didn't last long and then shortly thereafter they invented new sweeteners which were a lot more pleasant.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Does anyone else notice coke tastes different in different countries too?

I like Australian Diet Coke .. but then I had to, like Carol, I had gestational diabetes with my son and was restricted in my options on everything.

However American coke and diet coke is foul. I have no idea what the difference in ingredients is... but blech!

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
That's true. I heard from friends that Coke we have in Peru tastes different than the Coke from USA. And I've noticed the different tastes between Fanta I've drunk in Peru and the one I drink now (Spain). I like first one better wink

The one drawback, though, is that once you switch, there's no going back
That's also sooo true. I swtiched into skim milk and light butter (don't know how to call it - this butter is supposed to have less amount of calories). And later when I tried to drink again the whole milk it tasted more thick, the normal butter felt as if I was eating oil (you know, the one you use to fry bistecks), so now I can't eat either in it's normal form not because of the amount of calories but because I don't like them.

Carolyn smile

Pisco and Ceviche ->100% PERUVIAN. Never doubt that.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thank you, Labby, for the defense of the Diet Coke drinkers! goofy You're exactly right.

And I'll agree with Roger, once you switch, you're switched. About 10 years ago, we decided to go diet in order to avoid the unreal amount of sugar that's in regular coke. Upon advice from a friend, we quit cold turkey and just started with the diet stuff. Tasted awful at first, but you do get used to it, and regular coke is now ick.

And I've got it even worse -- I'll drink Diet Coke and only Diet Coke. Diet Pepsi just isn't the same thing. If a restaurant only offers Pepsi products, I'll usually go with Sierra Mist. This makes me sad, sometimes, 'cause growing up I only drank Pepsi <g>

Same thing on the milk. We gradually moved down from 2% to 1% to 1/2%, and then gritted our teeth and switched to skim. Now anything else tastes weird (we have the kids on 2%), and I wouldn't even want to *try* drinking whole milk anymore. The colder the better, for me.

So, see there? I'm avoiding tons of sugar and fat a week, just by those changes I got used to years ago. No cost anymore, constant benefit... I'm a lot healthier than I thought I was! goofy

PJ
who never acquired a taste for coffee and now has a DC in the mornings, instead. smile

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Lisamaree, the Evil Kiwi:

I like Australian Diet Coke .. but then I had to, like Carol, I had gestational diabetes with my son and was restricted in my options on everything.

However American coke and diet coke is foul. I have no idea what the difference in ingredients is... but blech!
I''m another one who prefers the taste of diet drinks. I remember that when I visited the USA the diet coke tasted a bit odd, but not horribly so, compared to what I'm used to. I think that there are different levels of the sweeteners in different countries; excess saccharin in particular can taste awful if you aren't used to it.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Like Pam, I also prefer Diet Coke over Diet Pepsi. Diet Pepsi tastes a little "off" for some reason. I can still drink Diet Pepsi, but it can't be from a can. For some reason Diet Pepsi in a can tastes very different from Diet Pepsi from a different container.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Merriwether
Merriwether
I can't drink most diet drinks, but I've always been a pure-form drinker. No diet for me! I drank diet coke for a month during a Friends bottle cap contest. I quit well before the contest was over because I could NOT drink it anymore. Blech! The only two diet drinks I've been able to handle are diet Dr Pepper and Mt Dew. Those don't taste too far off the original versions.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
How come you never hear father-in-law jokes?
Because fathers-in-law are usually the ones with the guns.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I can still drink Diet Pepsi, but it can't be from a can. For some reason Diet Pepsi in a can tastes very different from Diet Pepsi from a different container.
I thought that was just me! I prefer Pepsi to Coke and we usually get pallets of Pepsi from Costco in bulk. Cans for Stuart and bottles for me and I've always sworn that it tastes different depending on which you drink it from.

BTW, I've always wondered...what does Mountain Dew taste of, exactly?

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Yes there is a difference between cans/bottles/2L. When Crystal Pepsi came out [um, ew!], I had a friend who could drink it from a 2L but not a smaller bottle or a can.

Carol

Merriwether
Merriwether
I agree in the bottles/cans. I actually like Dr Pepper from the can better than the bottle. It adds a bit of a metallic tang/taste that works well with the soda.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I visited the Coke museum in Las Vegas near the MGM Grand Hotel a few years back. They showed all the different kinds of drinks they had plus all the different flavors of "Coke" in various parts of the world, many of which I'd never heard of (the Coke products, that is), so they do have different formulas for different locales.

They'd have these little fountains with cups you can drink samples, so I got to taste a bunch of various Coke products around the world. I think the museum was gone the last time I was in Vegas. Too bad.

The name changes too in various parts of the world. For instance in Sweden, it's Coke Light. I guess "diet" may have different or negative connotations in the world.

-- Roger

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I think they have a similar one in Atlanta. I haven't been there but I've been to Atlanta a few times and I remember hearing about it.

I think DP has one in Texas...

Carol

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I know that Mountain Dew (the real stuff, not the unleaded kind) tastes different in the can than it does in the plastic bottles. And it's been too long since I had one in a glass bottle, but I seem to remember that it tasted better than the stuff from the plastic bottle. I guess those aluminum coatings do dissolve in carbonated water and sugar.

Hey, does anyone else remember the old Mountain Dew bottles with the cartoon hillbillies on the side? The old jingle used to go something like "Yahoo, Mountain Dew! (bullet ricochet sound) It'll tickle yore innards!"

Wait a minute, did I just reveal my terminal uncoolness?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard