Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
So I'm sitting here tonight editing a story about Toys for Tots, and all of a sudden I'm in tears. (Some hardened newswoman I am; Lois would be totally disgusted.) The Seattle branch of this wonderful program has received about a tenth of the donations it usually has by now, and that means many children in need will go without presents this Christmas, as the situation is similarly dire across the U.S. The organization usually has about $100,000 in cash donations by now -- and this year has $3,000.

It just broke my heart. I couldn't imagine having to tell a child that Santa won't be coming this year.

So I decided that I'm going to make a donation to my local branch (a good excuse to go buy fun, pink toys) -- and then I started thinking. Remember how, in "Seasons Greedings," Clark speaks with "Santa," about having Superman get people to help needy children?

Well, here I am.

I'm no Superman, but I was kind of thinking we could make this something of a FoLC outreach project for the holidays? I know that this time of year isn't easy for coming up for extra cash, but even a toy from the dollar store or a $5 donation could help make a child's Christmas bright.

If people are interested, please post below, or if you donate something, maybe post after you've dropped it off? I bet a lot of FoLCs have spirit this year -- or maybe this is a terrible idea and I have no clue what I am talking about.

Either way, here are the drop-off locations for U.S. residents:

http://www.toysfortots.org/donate/toys.asp

For those outside the U.S., I encourage you to make a charitable donation to a local organization, whether it be toys, pet food, or something else.

Jenn
AKA Pinky Claus

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Great idea! It's so easy to forget that, even when times are hard and the economy isn't great, compared to so many, we are very blessed. It's good to be reminded. Hmmmm...now to find the perfect Superman toy to brighten some child's Christmas. wink

- Lauren

There's a lot of things you need to get across this universe. Warp drive, wormhole refractors. You know the thing you need most of
all? You need a hand to hold.
~10th Doctor
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Where I work, this year we're making an extra effort to help our local food bank, with so many people laid off in the area in the last year or so. We had a lot of automotive-related industry, and unemployment's increased significantly as a result - and most of those laid off won't be able to find jobs in the same industry. They're looking at retraining or ending up with McJobs at less than half the pay they're used to. Christmas won't be the same in their homes this year.

Our local Christmas hamper programmes are over-subscribed (as are similar programmes all over North America), homeless shelters are full to overflowing, and the food bank is in desperate need of donations. Normally, at each Christmas party we have (our own; joint with other agencies, etc) we bring food bank donations, but this year we're adopting a local family and having a competition within the agency to see which team can collect the most donations for the food bank (prize is a dress-down day, so you can't say we're wasting money on prizes wink ).

There are lots of good causes this year, so if you have or can afford to buy a toy or two, or some surplus cans or baby-food or other non-perishable food (or nappies/diapers, toothpaste etc are also needed), then just look up your local food bank, homeless shelter or other charity of your choice. Like Jenn said, their need is greater than ours.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
This is a great idea Twin. I'm gonna check that out. I actually have a big stuffed animal laying around my house that I've been needing to give away.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Great idea! I've already bought something for an angel but I will buy something to donate to a tot too!

Come on Lois you havent said a word since 1866!

Thanks for the avatar, Hana.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'll second that idea - I'm a big fan of giving a charity gift among all the excess at this time of year and there's such a huge range of prices, it doesn't take much to do. Most charities these days, have gift catalogues.

I'll see if there's something similar to TFT locally, too.

And here's a feel-good story from the other side of the coin that I saw on the news the other night that might make you feel better, Jenn:

A secret Santa has handed over £9million-worth of Christmas toys to children in UK hospitals.

Several truckloads have arrived at Birmingham Children's Hospital and more will be delivered nationwide over the next few days, reports The Sun.

The mystery Father Christmas arranged for the goodies to be dropped at a Midlands airbase ready for distribution.

He has let it be known he wants to guarantee poorly kids in hospital a good Christmas.

Tracy Marsh, the fundraising chief at Birmingham, said: "We'd like to thank the immense generosity of this anonymous benefactor. These toys will bring hours of fun and games for the kids. Christmas came early for us."
LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
This is a great idea, EditorJax, and thank you for reminding us.

Labrat, I think we should have something similar in the UK. I know The Salvation Army used to collect new toys for kids who wouldn't have such a good Christmas.

Every year, I try to remember people who aren't so fortunate, and, at this particular time, there are many more in need all over the world.

I'm also a doggie person, so I always add to the pet food trolley at our local supermarket. They always collect for animals who are abandoned after Christmas.

And Labrat, thanks for that heartwarming story. It seems there is a Santa Claus after all. smile

Jenni

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
The Salvation Army still do it in the UK, I was in Superdrug yesterday and they've got collection bins for the presents: Christmas Present Appeal .

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Kerth
Kerth
Great idea. I guess I'm gonna be looking for something here, too. Last year, my daughter's kindergarten wanted to help with our equivalent of food banks, and they especially asked for children's clothes because many people couldn't afford proper winter clothes for their children. That's when I finally decided to donate all the clothes my then four-year-old daughter didn't fit any more (even from her first year of life!).

On the other hand, my mom and I tried to find someone who'd distribute some good-as-new teddies and other stuffed animals (bought, played with once, then put away). In the end, our pediatrician agreed to give them to the poorer of his patients, but there were many organizations where we were plainly told not to bother.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Dang it, Labrat. Why ya gotta make the hormonal one cry?!? wink

That's a wonderful story. <sniff>

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awwwwww - sorry, Jenn! laugh

Helga, Jenni, thanks for the info. I'm fairly sure we have a Superdrug in our local shopping centre. I'll check it out during the week.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ahh what a great thread!!

I donated this year to a charity that is very close to my heart. It is called Child\'s Play and it provides games and books and entertainment to children all over the world who are sick and in the hospital. Having had a younger brother who spent most of his short life in a hospital... I remember the boredom of waiting rooms in hospitals.

So what is it? Basically a few years back and bunch of gamers decided to show that they weren't a generation of people who didn't care. The creators of a webcomic called Penny Arcade set up a small partnership with a local Seattle hospital and their goal was to gather 100 toys from a wish list the hospital had made. They received 100 toys in the first hour... and ever since then it's been expanding. They have 60 hospitals they work with currently and every year it grows.

The hospitals they support are in the US, UK, Canada, and Egypt.

So... if you don't have something like Toys for Tots in your country maybe you should consider this one that helps children all year round as well as Christmas. smile

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Columnist
Columnist
I'll definitely be picking up a thing or two to give to Toys for Tots, but I'm also taking part in this Holiday Card Project on Deviant Art. You send in cards that will be passed out to people who are in the hospital over the holidays.

It's getting close to the due date, but if you have some time the next day or two, you should participate, too!

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard