Print Thread
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Article

I wanted to make the title 'Death of Batman'?!?! but in case there's spoilerish people...

I don't follow Batman, but I immediately thought of Lara of course.

My other thought was WTHeck?

Anyone else?
Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Kerth
Kerth
Must be DC's hobby to kill off characters. mad

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Don't believe everything you read. I've heard about a couple articles that reviewed the comic which were entirely wrong - as in, whoever wrote it had never even seen the comic... This could be one of those. Mind you, I'm not following links about that story until I've read the comic myself, so I don't know what's right and what's wrong per se.

But... this said:

Batman will never die.

He's a symbol. It could be anyone under the cowl, and actually, it's not always been Bruce. Dick has been Batman (*squee!*), and so has Jean-Paul Valley, and there could be others, too, I'm not sure. So you can be quite certain that Batman will live on.

As for Bruce Wayne, well... I haven't red the comic, as I said, but I bet if he turns up dead, it's a ruse. As in, he probably decided to retire or something. And I would bet a lot of money that he'll be back, too.

My 2 cents that aren't worth that much anymore. wink

/goes back to her world of bats and wings...

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, as I understand it, Bruce Wayne dies and Batman is taken over by someone else. There was a list of possibilities on who that might be, but I'm afraid I wasn't paying that much attention. I think whatsisname was one of them - Robin's alter ego, whose name is currently eluding me... But then...if Robin becomes Batman...who'll be Robin?

Confused? You will be...

And yeah, my first thought on reading the story was "OMG - who's going to break the news to Lara!" laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
Just when I learned to love Bruce, too. Go figure. mecry That is, of course, if it turns out to be true. I'm taking it with a grain of salt for now.

I think whatsisname was one of them - Robin's alter ego, whose name is currently eluding me... But then...if Robin becomes Batman...who'll be Robin?
Dick was the first Robin, but when he grew up he became Nightwing, so it's possible he could take over as Batman. Tim was the second or third Robin, I believe. So he could possibly take over as well, or continue to be Robin if Dick takes over. I'm sure there have been one or two others, though no one who'd still alive comes to mind at the moment :p

Maybe Alfred should take over?

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tim was the second or third Robin, I believe. So he could possibly take over as well, or continue to be Robin if Dick takes over.
Tim is the third one. wink

OK, lessee...

1- Dick Grayson was the first, original Robin. Batman fired him at one point, and then he became Nightwing, whom he still is at this time. Dick served as Batman for a very short time, when Bruce had his back broken by Bane, during Knightfall.

2- Jason Todd was the second Robin. After Bruce fired Dick, he found this kid who was trying to steal the tires off the Batmobile (idiot kid!) and he somehow decided to take him in and make him Robin. Fans apparently did not like Jason very much, because DC had a poll to decide what the fate of this character was to be and.... the final decision was to KILL HIM. Of course, he's come back to life since and... he turned bad, and then I forget because I don't like him much anyway.

3- Tim Drake, is the third and current Robin. He was Robin during Knightfall, meaning this kid has actually been the Robin to three different Batman (Bruce, Jean-Paul Valley, and Dick Grayson). I believe he's still currently underage (16 or so?), so I don't see how he'd be Batman.

My money would be on Dick - and I would SO have a stroke, I can promise you that - but then Canadian money isn't worth much anyway, right?

Oh, hey - a fun note... kinda. Dick, Jason, Tim and Bruce's parents -- all murdered. All of 'em. Weird, huh? :p

(And as for Alfred... dude! Alfred RULES.)

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I think it's a ploy to boost sales figures. Does anyone here remember the hoopla surrounding Superman's 'death'? Yes, they killed him the comics back in the nineties. And they brought him back. Of course. They brought back the whole Superman and Clark Kent package.

So I really think that the 'death' of Batman (and Bruce Wayne) will be just like that! Maybe one of the Robins will take over for a while, while Batman is supposedly dead. But then Bruce Wayne will return.

Ann (who will spend her money on other things than Batman comics)

P.S. In Douglas Adam's Restaurant at the End of the Universe there was a man who was spending a year dead for tax reasons. I'm just saying....

Kerth
Kerth
So they kill Bruce Wayne... Now Alfred has to explain what "There can be only one" means.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that they've killed Superman twice, not once. The first time was in the seventies.

Wikipedia has an interesting note in their article on the more recent Death of Superman story line:

Green Arrow, Donna Troy, Elongated Man, Hal Jordan, Metamorpho, Jason Todd, and others have experienced comic book death and resurrections. These events have been attributed to the door between life and death being kept open since Superman died.

So no problems bringing Bruce back, if he is ever actually dead!

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I've read the comic and it 'ends' totally ambiguiously. There was no body. It merely sets the stage for whatever convoluted storyline the current editoral/writing teams wish to enact.

Comic book death is a plot device that can mean anything from a 'vacation' to a full blown retreading of the character. If a character is popular enough, it never means a true death.

Even in those cases where the intent was to kill-off the character and replace him with another (ie: the Barry Allen Flash), if a writer decides he wants or needs that character for a storyline, he finds a way to bring him/her back.

Remember, DC has brought back the Multiverse so you can always find a way to kill-off and bring back nearly anyone you want to.

Tank (who doesn't read Marvel anymore but wonders if Captain America is back from the dead yet)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, as others have mentioned, they killed off Superman, too, but he's alive and well in the DCverse.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tank (who doesn't read Marvel anymore but wonders if Captain America is back from the dead yet)
He was back as a "spirit" and spoke to Thor in a recent comic. Does that count as coming back?

~Lara (who doesn't read Marvel either, save for the parts people scan and put in their blogs. lol!)

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard