Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
StarKat Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
You know how it seems like global warming can do just about anything? It can cause heating, same temp, cooling and all kinds of other wacky things? Well, this video actually details all the different things global warming is supposedly doing. It's hysterical, trust me.

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's a very funny video and does point out a lot of the hysteria among GW believers. GW is so omnipotent that it does everything, including cooling the planet!

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
bec Offline
Blogger
Blogger
Originally posted by StarKat:
You know how it seems like global warming can do just about anything? It can cause heating, same temp, cooling and all kinds of other wacky things? Well, this video actually details all the different things global warming is supposedly doing. It's hysterical, trust me.

Tara
The problem is that climate change sceptics (and much of the mainstream media) use the terms 'global warming' and 'climate change' interchangeably, as though they were the same thing. They are not.

In fact, much of the right-wing of politics refuses to use the term 'climate change' at all, preferring instead to make fun of the environmental movement by speaking only of 'global warming'. Obviously, when you call climate change - which can be responsible for cooler average regional temperatures, increases in regional levels of rain/snow etc - global warming, you make the entire notion sound ridiculous.

I had an excellent website bookmarked which explained the differences between global warming and climate change much better than I could but I lost it a couple of months ago. I'll see if I can find it again.

StarKat Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Did you actually look at the video? Most of those things actually said 'global warming'. The ones that said 'climate change' were in the minority. It listed conflicting statements that both said 'global warming'. I've actually looked in the news and seen similar things to the articles shown in this video, and a lot of the time, they do say global warming.

Tara

bec Offline
Blogger
Blogger
Originally posted by StarKat:
Did you actually look at the video? Most of those things actually said 'global warming'. The ones that said 'climate change' were in the minority. It listed conflicting statements that both said 'global warming'. I've actually looked in the news and seen similar things to the articles shown in this video, and a lot of the time, they do say global warming.

Tara
Yes, of course I watched the video. And as I said in my original post, most of the mainstream media uses the terms interchangeably as well - when they refer to 'global warming', they're often actually talking about climate change.

Many of the things included in the video sound ridiculous when blamed on 'global warming' but not so ridiculous if you understand the difference between global warming and climate change.

Of course, there is a certain degree of hysteria surrounding both global warming and climate change. I'm not an expert but some things are obviously being inappropriately blamed on both due to the current high level of awareness of the problems. But much of it is true.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, this is why I hate the term global warming. It leads to people sending in letters to the papers saying, "Hah - so much for global warming! We've just had snow in June! Why aren't we having heatwaves in summer?!" laugh

I don't profess to know much about the subject either way. All I know is my garden has been doing strange things in recent years <G>. So it seems to me that change is happening.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
StarKat Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I still don't see why the doom and gloom predictions are so widely accepted. The only constant about our climate is change. It's in a constant state of flux. In recorded history we've seen both highs and lows of global temperature and neither of them has been caused by humans. We are still learning what drives our climate, we don't know enough yet to predict what's going to happen with any reasonable certainty of accuracy.

For instance, did you know they're now saying that cosmic rays cause clouds? And that they still don't completely understand the effects of clouds on climate, but they do know they play a big role? How can we expect to accurately predict the actions of our climate when we don't understand something like that?

jmo

Tara

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hilarious!!

Man, you just wouldn't believe the global warming hysterical at this art school where I take classes. I'm all for saving the planet, but let's be Earth-conscious just because it's nice to take care of our planet, you know?

JD
who is freezing her butt off in the Deep South WAY before we're supposed to! There's a reason why we say our two seasons are "Summer" and "January."

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Blogger
Blogger
Thanks for that video, Star Kat smile

Did anyone see this from Al Gore's website today?
A new study suggests the Mayan civilization might have collapsed due to environmental disasters:

"'These models suggest that as ecosystems were destroyed by mismanagement or were transformed by global climatic shifts, the depletion of agricultural and wild foods eventually contributed to the failure of the Maya sociopolitical system,' writes environmental archaeologist Kitty Emery of the Florida Museum of Natural History in the current Human Ecology journal."
I wonder what those Mayan SUVs looked like that caused the climate to change? laugh

Columnist
Columnist
JD
who is freezing her butt off in the Deep South WAY before we're supposed to! There's a reason why we say our two seasons are "Summer" and "January."
I'd just like to say proudly that where I'm from, we have four seasons. Winter, Almost Winter, Still Winter, and Road Construction. wink

/runs away from thread before it becomes too intense

StarKat Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, now I'm jealous. We only have two seasons here in Southern California. Hot and not-as-hot.

Tara

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard