Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RL Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
For the first time in US history, there is now a female four-star general, Ann Dunwoody, a 33-year veteran. How's that for breaking another glass ceiling?

To put that in perspective, there have only been 210 total four-stars in history. By law, there can only be 12 Army four-star generals on active duty at any one time.

Dunwoody Becomes First Female Four-Star General

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Fascinating! Thanks for that, Roger; I haven't had time to look at any news today so hadn't heard about it yet. That's definitely a huge step forward for women.

I don't know anything about the other 11 four-star generals; are any of them black? Though of course there was Colin Powell... so another glass ceiling broken by an African-American before a woman wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I really liked that article you gave us a link to, Roger. This is my favorite quote from it:

"There is no one more surprised than I—except, of course, my husband. You know what they say, `Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man.' "
The new four star general certainly has a sense of humour (and, if I may say so myself, a rather nice first name....)

Ann

RL Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
The twelve current active duty four-star generals are:

Gen. George W. Casey Jr. (Chief of Staff, Army)
Gen. Peter W. Chiarelli (Vice Chief of Staff, Army)
Gen. William E. "Kip" Ward (US Africa Command)
Gen. David H. Petraeus (US Central Command)
Gen. Bantz J. Craddock (Supreme Allied Commander Europe)
Gen. David D. McKiernan (US Forces Afghanistan)
Gen. Walter L. Sharp (US Forces Korea)
Gen. Raymond T. Odiermo (Multi-national Forces, Iraq)
Gen. Carter Ham (US Army, Europe)
Gen. Charles C. Campbell (US Army Forces Command)
Gen. Ann E. Dunwoody (US Army Materiel Command)
Gen. William S. Wallace (US Army Training and Doctrine Command)

FYI, Wendy. General Kip Ward is African-American.

There are also 10 active duty four-star Admirals, 4 four-star Marine Generals, and 12 four-star Air Force Generals. The law also limits the other services but certain exemptions can be made. For instance, the Navy is actually limited to 9 Admirals, but the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is exempt (Admiral Michael Mullen). The Marines are limited to 3, but one is Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Gen. James E. Cartwright. The Air Force is limited to 11, but unified commanders are exempt from the count, of which there is one.

The law states that no more than 16.3% of active duty flag officers may be two-star and above, and of those, no more than 25% may be four-star.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Columnist
Columnist
I watched the news clip on this tonight and seeing her 90 year old father with tears in his eyes bought tears to mine.

Congrats to 4 Star General Dunwoody!

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard