Print Thread
#219415 11/12/08 04:39 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Miriam Makeba was a great South African singer who was forced to live in exile during much of her life as she wasn't accepted by the apartheid regime in her home country. These days, when the world rejoices at how far the Civil Rights movement has come in the United States, it is worth remembering South Africa's amazing journey away from apartheid, too.

Miriam Makeba performed in Italy on November 9, 2008, five days after Barack Obama's great victory in the United States' presidential election. The reason why Makeba was performing in Italy was that she was giving her support to writer Roberto Saviano, whose book Gomorrah about the Sicilian Mafia, the Camorra, has put Saviano's life in almost as much danger as Salman Rushdie's. During her performance in support of Saviano Makeba had a heart attack, and later that night she died.

Here is Miriam Makeba's most famous song, Pata Pata .

Ann

D
Deb Offline
Blogger
Blogger
D
That was a great song! I couldn't sing along, since I didn't know the language, but when I heard the name Miriam Makeba, that is what came to mind for me. (I'm sure the site for misheard lyrics had a field day when it came to figuring out the lyrics)

I heard this very sad news via "The View", which opened their show with her song, and Whoopi giving a very nice tribute to her.

I hope she gets a state burial and is acknowledged for her contribution to the world.

Sigh... Another good person taken too soon from us.

debc on IRC
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sad news. The song I know best of hers is The Click Song . We learned it (the chorus bit) when I was in the junior school and studing Xhosa. I like the intro to this vid.

Here\'s an article on what's planned.

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard