Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
For the first time we had a female vice presidential candidate and an african american presidential candidate as the prime contenders in our bi-partisan system.
Yeah, I thought this was a pretty darn exciting election. We could have made history in a number of ways! (Also a nod to Clinton there from the primaries.) It didn't pan out the way I'd hoped, but my hat's off to Obama for his victory and also for getting people involved. I personally knew a lot more people this year that took an interest in the election than 2004's, and I feel like his energy had a lot to do with that. And hopefully they will keep paying attention and realize the issues are all the time and not just every 4 years.

Also, like a few others mentioned, a quick hat off to McCain and his speech; as a Republican, I hope I will be able to look to him as an example of support for our new pres.

It's pretty darn awesome to add another to the history books.
Cheers,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
For the first time we had a female vice presidential candidate and an african american presidential candidate as the prime contenders in our bi-partisan system.
Being a political junkie, I'm going to nitpick here and point out that it's the second time we've had a female vice presidential candidate (Mondale/Ferraro '84) wink .

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Lol... being that that was the year I was born I wasn't aware of that from my own memories.... I scanned a wiki list of female VP candidates and only saw Palin under democrat or republican... apparently I should have scanned better or selected a more readable source... wiki was a bunch of tables...

Sara "Lieta"
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think this series of pictures sum up what happened quite nicely:

http://www.aprilwinchell.com/2008/11/05/tuesday/

*wipes the tear from her eyes that suddenly appeared while she looked at that website*

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Oh dear. Carol, no-one's trying to censor anything. I didn't start this thread laying out rules and restrictions about what should and shouldn't be discussed in here. It's pretty simple: I wanted to say what a historic milestone the result of Tuesday's election is, for the US and for the world.

And, yes, as others have commented since, it's nice to have a thread where we're just celebrating something, as opposed to rehashing partisan arguments between people who will never agree with each other and can't even view the same information from the same perspective. It's a refreshing change - that's all.

I agree with LabRat that the question of when, or even whether, there'll be a female president could make a fascinating discussion. And I'll tell you what: I'll even start a thread on it. I'll look forward to seeing you in there smile

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Thanks for the lovely pictures, Jojo!

Ann (who also wiped a tear from her eye)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for the reassurance, Wendy. smile

c.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm feeling a bit like Ann today as I'm about to post a ton of pictures. But hopefully like I love the pictures in Ann's post you will appreciate these. I got a great email today showing reactions around the world to Obama's win.

Barack's step-grandmother Sarah Obama in Kogelo , Kenya:
[Linked Image]

At Obama's former school in Jakarta , Indonesia:
[Linked Image]

Manila , Philippines :
[Linked Image]

Shanghai:
[Linked Image]

Athens , Greece:
[Linked Image]

Jakarta , Indonesia:
[Linked Image]

Jerusalem , Israel:
[Linked Image]

Sydney , Australia:
[Linked Image]

Top Banana
Top Banana
Labby or Wendy... if this is to many images let me know I can edit it down to just links. Or you can if you need to do it quickly.

Afghanistan:
[Linked Image]

Obama , Japan:
[Linked Image]

India:
[Linked Image]

Paris , France:
[Linked Image]

Dakar , Senegal:
[Linked Image]

London:
[Linked Image]

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes there is more!

These are just general pictures:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Top Banana
Top Banana
Last one I promise! Again if these are to annoying guys let me know. I'll edit them down. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Merriwether
Merriwether
Love the pictures, Jojo. They remind me of my mother-in-law, who called me last night and asked if I cried Tuesday night. (I did not) Apparently she was crying up a storm (with joy!) and couldn't sleep with all the excitement.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Your pictures are so lovely, Jojo. Indeed there are many people all over the world who marvel and and rejoice at these images.

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Another set of pictures:

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0810/callie-bp.html

This one documents Obama's run for president and have some really great candid moments. smile (Keep hitting the link at the bottom to see them all)

Top Banana
Top Banana
I wasn't able to vent my feelings on the day, due to having my parents with me (we differ rather a lot these days, politically speaking), so it's been a real pleasure to read all the positive messages on this thread and re-live this historic moment in world history.

For the record, I'm absolutely delighted that America has elected its first African American President. I'm slightly less delighted that he's a year younger than me. Boy, does that make me feel old! laugh

Yvonne

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I am northern born (Ohio) and went to college in Tennessee in the 1960s. I have seen a lot of history, and not all of it was civil. I was in Chattanooga when Martin Luthur King was killed in Memphis. I watched a town explode in a negative way in reaction to frustration.

I love jo-jo's pictures. The pure joy on the faces with the tears streaming is a wonder. Most of us, white and black alike, never thought we would see a day when a educated, articulate man with a mixed heritage (which should make him more ready for this job than anyone before him) could successfully win an election to become our president.

To those who did not vote for him, remember that the last president who seemed to have the gift of gab and little else working for him was a very good president. I am referring to Ronald Reagan. Who would have thought that an actor and the president of the screen actors guild would amount to anything. Let's all sit back and give him our support and hope that with our help and prayers, he too will become the healing force that we need right now in this country.

Pat

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I found this photo late in the campaign and was immediately struck by it. For me, it immediately summed it all up in one image - the man, the campaign, the whole ball of wax.

Obama Hugs Child

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Delightful, LabRat. It's such a delightfully ordinary little boy, hugging Obama with such incredible joy on his face, and his father is looking on and taking pictures, bursting with pride and happiness.

I also keep thinking of a picture of another little boy with Obama, the boy in the last photo that JoJo posted in her first post on this page. This little black boy is dressed up in a white shirt and tie, looking up at his President-elect with deep admiration and a kind of joyous solemnity. I really believe he is thinking to himself: 'I, too, will strive for excellence and try to do something for my country and all the people here.'

Ann

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard