Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm curious to know if anyone has heard what percentage of eligible voters cast a ballot. Prior to the election, they were expecting numbers to be high. So I'm wondering if anyone has heard.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Top Banana
Top Banana
ML, they are still counting and receiving absentee ballots right now in many states so that info won’t be available for a few weeks.

I did get an email from Rock The Vote letting us know that the largest turn out for voters from the age of 18-29 occurred. At least 24 million, but that number could rise once all the votes are counted.

I’ll be interested to see what the final numbers are as well.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Merriwether
Merriwether
I read that while the number of voters was higher than 2004, the actual percentage compared to registered voters was still low.

Ah, here\'s where I found it.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Interesting - his reasons why that is. This poll says nearly 70% of Republicans thought Palin helped, not hurt, McCain. That echos a poll that came out on election day. I don't know any Republicans personally that stayed home because of Palin or whatever. I wonder where he got that info or if that's just his perception or what...

I know that poll says 'voters', but given it's the same as pre-election... *shrug*. And I didn't see a definition of voters - those who actually voted or registered or what.

Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
<thread drift> Palin definitely helped. I went to see her speak November 1st -- there were thousands of very enthusiastic Republicans there. She's a terrific speaker. I showed up at 12:30, met a friend who had already been in line, waited outdoors til 3:30 when they opened the doors (at that point I couldn't even see the end of the line)(thank God the weather was beautiful), then went and stood in a tight-packed crowd (no chairs; I felt sick for a while with the heat and having skipped lunch) until the show started around 6:30. Bob Dole was there, which was kinda cool. Palin didn't arrive until 7:30. So, eight hours of my life, for a 20-minute speech, but I'm really glad I went. Anyway, I'm pretty sure she was drawing bigger and more fired-up crowds than McCain. Anyone who says she hurt him is sour-grapesing. </thread drift>

On election day, I walked in, got my ballot, walked right to an empty booth, voted, & left within 15 minutes. No waiting. North Carolina had early voting, and about 40% of the eligible voters went early. The average wait time for the early-voting sites was an hour to ninety minutes. On election day, with tons more polling places open, it was pretty quiet.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
<Pam's Thread Drift>
I saw both Palin and Obama within a week and a half of the election.

Both crowds were enthusiastic though the Obama crowd had more 'if I can just see him my life will be complete' folks in it.

We *are* a Republican part of the state so that may have played a role.

Many of the Dems I spoke with were from out of state.

The crowds were *about* the same size. The official fire dept count for Palin was 15-18K. The only numbers I've seen for Obama were 30-35K but those are not anywhere near correct [given by very partisan school officials]. I would guess no more than 20K at the Obama rally, probably closer to the 15-18K at the Palin rally.

So why is that significant?

Both had about 48-72 hours or so notice that there would be a rally. Palin was announced Wed AM with the location changed Thursday AM to allow for more people. Obama was announced Thursday AM, with the location not determined until Thursday noon to a venue with less capacity but easier security.

Palin's total capacity was less than Obama but completely full. Obama had greater capacity [estimated 20K - 5800 in the stands, rest on the football field] and not full.

Palin's rally was at noon on a Friday.

Obama's rally was at 9 on a Saturday night.

Palin's rally was held on the coldest day of the year to date. High of 45, cloudy, drizzly. When she spoke it was about 40*.

Obama's rally was held on one of the nicest Nov. 1's in recent history. High of about 75* making waiting outside fairly nice. When he spoke it was still nearly 70*.

Palin's rally had restroom facilities for those in line while Obama's had one port-a-potty for everyone in line [or the yucky bathrooms at the park across the street]. [Yeah, that has nothing to do with anything except poor planning - 2 more showed up at 430 or so and the ones on the field were inaccessible].

Obama's rally did have concessions but was held at a football field with that set up. Palin's was held in a parking lot.

My sister forwarded me an email she got:

Some say Obama is the Messiah of the Democratic Party, but [my sister] fed 30,000 people with one grill and 4 George Foremans.

wink

It still wasn't 30,000 people, but pretty impressive.

So what does all that mean? Based on my own personal experience, Palin didn't hurt McCain at all in most areas of the country and that would hold with that survey I posted.

<end Pam's thread drift>

They were estimating 75-80% turnout here but I haven't heard. Last I heard we were still a toss-up state with 7xxx provisional ballots to be looked through and only 5xxx votes separating the candidates.

I did hear there was a county in Colorado where they TIED!

Carol

Edit:

Missouri looks to have gone McCain by about 6000 votes according to CNN. That's only the 2nd time since 1900 that we haven't picked the president. My county went 57% McCain, 41% Obama [not sure where that other 2% went... wink ] Not sure if that's official or not though...

This is the story I heard. I'd guess the 330 provisional ballots will break the 11223-11223 tie.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard