Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I got to the polling place at around 7:30am and didn't get my voting sheet until 25 minutes later. I thought that was a pretty decent wait, considering that normally I walk right in, hand them my card and ID, get my sheet and we are done.

Then I get to work and half the lot is empty. My boss waited 90 minutes. The lady across from us waited 4 hours eek .

This is her story. She lives not quite a half mile from her voting area and the line was already to her HOUSE at 7am!.

She decided to wait and about an hour later it was only down a block from her house. At that point she bit the bullet and just walked down the block and got in line.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Top Banana
Top Banana
How about 0. (Oregon smile ) I voted last weekend via a ballot drop box.

According the the local newspaper, more than 60% of eligible voters had cast their ballot before today.

Why is Oregon the only state that has stepped up and elliminated the "long line for voting" problem?

Bob

B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Absentee.

Mailed it to my mom, priority mail, so that I could be sure it arrived on time. She then dropped it off for me last week. smile

Here in Chi-town, however, it's taken 2 hours or more for everyone I've talked to so far.

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
As another person who is in Oregon, I dropped off my ballot this morning in a vote drop box. No wait required.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well let's see...

I read this thread (last one i read was Bethy at 1:35) Decided to go then to vote. Drove there voted and drove back and it is now 1:53. So not even 20 minutes. (and I left after 1:35.)

Being grown-up isn't half as fun as growing up, these are the best days of our lives, the only thing that matters is just following your heart and eventually you'll finally get it right! ~Ataris
Top Banana
Top Banana
I got in line at about 7:05am and was out of there by 7:45am.

Not a bad wait at all considering some of the stories I have heard so far. I didn't seem so bad since I chatted with some people in line. thumbsup

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
DH went to vote at 6 this morning and there were about 50 people in line so he left for work - couldn't wait. Keep in mind our polling place is a fire station surrounded on three sides by farms in the middle of nowhere [but right next to an Assembly of God church...]. Two years ago there were about 500 people who voted in our precinct. He went back about 1130 and walked right in as voter 651.

I'm taking the kids about 4 with my neighbors and hoping no or very little line pre-post-work crowd. I know several places in Springfield were 1.5 hours or longer...

Word of warning to everyone though... Don't listen to the exit polls/predictions...

Vote anyway...

Carol

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally posted by carolm:

Word of warning to everyone though... Don't listen to the exit polls/predictions...

Vote anyway...

Carol
Dang straight. It ain't over till it is over! thumbsup
James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Counting transit time, wait time and actual voting time, 10 minutes. I had my little pamphlet already marked up so I wouldn't need to take much time. There were two people ahead of me, but one women stepped out of line, saying she wasn't sure she was even at the right place so I should go ahead.

This was a major improvement over the primaries, though. When I got there then, the only people there were the people working there.

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I waited till after the morning rush and went to vote at 10:00 a.m. They had rearranged the precincts, so I had to leave my familiar voting place (with no line) and go to another location (with a long line). It took about 30 minutes. It was nice and polite. But then, I live in a rural area.

But, I've heard some disturbing stories about Republicans being threatened in Pa. I'm sure there is a link by now...

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I've heard the same stories [along with the really big New Black Panthers guy with a billy club outside a polling place in PA].

The town we vote in officially has 347 people in it, but it was incorporated into our town of 12K or so a few years ago but is still semi-separate.

And especially in your area, James. It's going to be pretty close in the state and even a few votes either way [in any area, but particularly votes opposite the local stronghold party] are potentially huge...

We're going in twenty minutes...

Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Absentee voted, but a number of Georgia residents said they waited for hours today! So I have to admit, it was kind of nice to be not a resident here for a change...

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
We walked in - one person in front of me in my check in line - my neighbors were the only ones in their line. I parked the stroller next to me and the three of us each took one of my DDs. They got stickers wink .

No waiting for a place at the table but it was crowded.

One line had one person in it when we left [A-K] and the other [L-Z] had about 6-7. We waited for people pulling out when we got there and had people waiting for us when we left. Parking lot only holds about 20-25 but still...

Two years ago my neighbors went about 5 and were numbers 350ish. I was 960ish at 430. Our area has grown but they're also expecting 75-80% turnout in our county - we had a visit by Palin a week and a half ago and Obama Sat [he spent the night] so they expect us to be close... Or our state is in a dead heat so every vote counts...

Carol

Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
It took about 40 minutes which was the longest I've ever waited to vote. Definitely as Carol and James both said, get out there and vote!

Mona

Columnist
Columnist
We did early voting on Saturday in Florida. We were first in line and voted within 20 minutes.

Heard later the wait was over 3 hours at that branch of the public library.

Columnist
Columnist
Where I live the polls opened at 7:00 am. I was in line at 6:45 am. I was in the first 50 that voted. Was out and back in my car by 7:15. It was raining pretty hard. I live in a beach resort town so I guess the winter residency is only about 8,000 maybe.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I went in at 8:00 and was out by 8:15.

Kerth
Kerth
I did early voting two weeks ago at the mall. laugh It was busy, but there wasn't really a wait.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Merriwether
Merriwether
I waited an hour to get to the actual voting booths. I got to the church at 6:35, 5 minutes after they opened, and the line was well outside the door. I had my book with me, so the time went fairly quickly. I was the only one in my S-Z line, but once I was through that, I had to wait in yet another line that snaked through rows of seats to get the booths. I ended up (after a quick stop for breakfast) only a half hour late to work.

You know... all of this waiting, and I still don't know which color NC is!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
Less than 5 minutes here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard